Eternal vigilance is the price ...

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... of an unmolested credit card.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty pleased with how this went. After a period of poverty in my life, I have a tendency to be very money-driven and cheap (this also drives my friends crazy, which is a nice fringe benefit. :uhyeah:) So I have a tendency to be very retentive in keeping track of my expenditures. It really paid off! I found two minor charges of about $20 each in the past two days.

It only took me a few minutes to call the vendors and confirm that it was fraud, and order a new card from the bank. Some people tell me they never check their records or balance their books. I can't imagine why ...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It always pays to scrutinise your finances :nods:. I've not been scammed yet ... but it could be my turn next (given that web security is a joke at the present time).

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
... of an unmolested credit card.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty pleased with how this went. After a period of poverty in my life, I have a tendency to be very money-driven and cheap (this also drives my friends crazy, which is a nice fringe benefit. :uhyeah:) So I have a tendency to be very retentive in keeping track of my expenditures. It really paid off! I found two minor charges of about $20 each in the past two days.

It only took me a few minutes to call the vendors and confirm that it was fraud, and order a new card from the bank. Some people tell me they never check their records or balance their books. I can't imagine why ...

Small purchases are often used to verify the fact that a card number is valid. Even more disturbing is the scenario of the possibility of a criminal cartel that breaks into a financial institution and only takes $5 from several thousand account holders each month. Many people would not catch that, or consider it worth their time to check on.

As Flea and Sukerkin mention, it is always worth it to closely check your transaction history and question anything you aren't sure of.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I left my ex wife, I paid off and cancelled all but one credit card, which I had cancelled and a new card issued to me in CA (she was in Washington). About a year later, my bill shows up and I happened to notice a passel of charges that had a notation next to them {Transferred from account #whateverthehell it was}
I called customer service, and asked why in the world they were transferring charges made in another state on a cancelled account to my bill. There was an embarrassed pause. A few moments later a supervisor came on the line, apologetic as you can get and fixed it. I got an amended bill a couple of weeks later. Glad I read the bill instead of just paying...