Essentials

Bobby135

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to see what people think are essential tools of the trade.

The one item that I always have is my flashlight. It is a handheld tactical light. Other than that I would say always have an earpiece to communicate. Anyone have anything else to add???

Bobby

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Working security and constantly being on the move, lots of driving, I always carry a pen and pad of paper, just in case something needs to be remembered for later. What you see is just as important as what you do, in my opinion. And since I do not carry a sidearm for my position, my knife is always with me, for obvious reasons. I agree that a flashlight is a must. And just for grins and giggles, a pack of gum.

Andrew

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the what I have going on, but I have in my vehicle at all times
1. Notebook and pen
2. Flashlight
3. First Aid Kit
4. PPE's like my gloves, hardhat, glasses and goggles.
5.Tactical folder
6. My Glock 22 and two spare mags

Being that I do some search and rescue stuff now, my list has gotten larger. I have a pack that contains triage tape, duct tape, a whistle, glow sticks, a head light, reflective vest, vinyl gloves, breathing barrier, helmet and so on.

I feel the notebook and pen are probably the number one item I can have. after that my first aid kit.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I worked as a bouncer my Kubotan was an essential..Later when I became involved in contract security the list GREW...The pen and paper where among the most inmportant next to my S&W .357 and PR-24..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For security work -- pen and paper are your most valuable tools that you can carry. You'll always need to write information down...

For police work -- pen and paper are among your most important tools. You'll always need to write information down...

In today's day and age (and I suspect this applies even more to bouncing), I'd highly encourage carrying an inexpensive digital camera, especially since even bottom line cameras now often can do limited video. You can go a long way towards proving someone's a problem or documenting a situation with a few pictures...

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For security work -- pen and paper are your most valuable tools that you can carry. You'll always need to write information down...

For police work -- pen and paper are among your most important tools. You'll always need to write information down...

In today's day and age (and I suspect this applies even more to bouncing), I'd highly encourage carrying an inexpensive digital camera, especially since even bottom line cameras now often can do limited video. You can go a long way towards proving someone's a problem or documenting a situation with a few pictures...

I totally agree. Documenting an altercation goes a long way in covering yourself.

I think pen and paper are great tools. However, I remember a homeless guy taking a pen from the pen-specific pocket in my work pants, and he raised the pen like he was going to stab me. Luckily he was drunk and slow and I was able to move away from his sphere of influence. That was the last time I had a pen visible on my body. I could imagine someone carrying say, Cold Steel's "Sharkie" and dealing with fully-functional individual in a similar situation...

But as far as retention and overall liability, a pen and paper are great.

Latest Discussions