Escaping the clinch

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Note: I am talking about the "clinch" used in WT sparring. This is vastly different from any other clinch, in that grabbing your opponent isn't allowed. So this is not a discussion on a neck clinch like in Muay Thai or the underhooks and overhooks used in wrestling. Those would be completely different discussions because of the rules of those games.

In WT sparring, the "clinch" is when you get in too close to kick. Generally a shorter person would prefer to clinch, while a taller person would rather be at range. I've gotten a lot of advice lately on the clinch, specifically:
  • How to close in without getting kicked
  • Techniques to avoid the clinch or to use on someone as they close in
  • How to maneuver within the clinch to score on your opponent
  • How to defend against the kicks in the previous point

However, there's a piece I'm missing - if I don't want to be in the clinch, and my opponent gets me there, how do I escape the clinch without letting him score on me?

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Im unclear of WT scoring
What i use and teach for this type of close quarter would be a jam or trap of the arms, followed by and upper chest or hip push, and pushing back with the lead lead followed by a swing step

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if I don't want to be in the clinch, and my opponent gets me there, how do I escape the clinch without letting him score on me?
Sport can help you to develop certain skill. Not sure how useful this skill can help you in true combat (not just sport).

When the distance is far, you can kick and punch. When the distance is close, you can lock and throw. It's better to take advantage on the distance than to go against the distance.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think yiuve redefined a clinch to such a degree I can't even visualize what you are learning to defend against. At this point, it seems completely academic, as I'm pretty sure no one you encounter will agree to your rules of engagement.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sport can help you to develop certain skill. Not sure how useful this skill can help you in true combat (not just sport).

When the distance is far, you can kick and punch. When the distance is close, you can lock and throw. It's better to take advantage on the distance than to go against the distance.

I don't think you understand the context of this thread. The Taekwondo clinch only exists in the sport. You can't lock and throw, as it's against the rules.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think you understand the context of this thread. The Taekwondo clinch only exists in the sport. You can't lock and throw, as it's against the rules.
That's exactly my point. Assume your

- goal is combat.
- path is sport.

If your path doesn't help your goal, may be different paths should be considered (Unless your goal is also sport).

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

- goal is combat.
- path is sport.

If your path doesn't help your goal, may be different paths should be considered (Unless your goal is also sport).

In this case, it's the sport. Everything about this post is the sport.

Most of what you are suggesting I do is against the rules and would get me disqualified from a match.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In this case, it's the sport. Everything about this post is the sport.
If both of your path and your goal are sport, you just have to follow whatever the sport may tell you to do.

I have not been on the other Judo forum for quite sometime. I almost totally forget that some people (such as most of the Judo guys) who train MA and their goal is "sport".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Got it. This is specific to sport TKD. Makes sense now. Well. I mean, explains why I don't get it.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If both of your path and your goal are sport, you just have to follow whatever the sport may tell you to do.

I have not been on the other Judo forum for quite sometime. I almost totally forget that some people (such as most of the Judo guys) who train MA and their goal is "sport".

That's why I came to the Taekwondo forum to ask about the Taekwondo sport.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just stand there and wait for the refs to break it up.

Personally, I'd likely escape it with an elbow strike. No, it's not legal under WT rules. I'd do it anyway. And you'd think twice about clinching next time. Assuming I didn't knock you out. Which, under WT rules, is a victory for me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

- goal is combat.
- path is sport.

But if his goal is sport (in this question, anyway), then an answer that violates that sport's rule doesn't help.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think yiuve redefined a clinch to such a degree I can't even visualize what you are learning to defend against. At this point, it seems completely academic, as I'm pretty sure no one you encounter will agree to your rules of engagement.
Except among other WT competitors.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you allowed under rules? Can you push, at all? Are any short strikes (elbows/knees) allowed? I'm ill-equipped to answer the question, but I like the challenge of trying to come up with a response from my toolkit that might fit your need.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are you allowed under rules? Can you push, at all? Are any short strikes (elbows/knees) allowed? I'm ill-equipped to answer the question, but I like the challenge of trying to come up with a response from my toolkit that might fit your need.

You can use your hands to block their momentum, but can't grab or push them. You can push off of them and you can move them like an NFL lineman would, but you can't shove.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is what WT competitors define as the clinch.

We're not allowed to actually clinch, but this is clinch distance using WT rules.