ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS: How Far Do You Take It?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Environmental Awareness: The ability to observe daily conditions and surroundings and make “on the spot” decisions to either avoid danger or take advantage of the opportunities offered.

If youÂ’re a student of Kenpo, youÂ’ve likely heard this term. It is one of the most basic of principles outlined by SGM Ed Parker in terms of self defense.

In essence, it refers to oneÂ’s immediate environment and includes everything from weather conditions to the body language expressed by people around you. It can be as simple as avoiding a bar that is notorious for violence, but it also includes noting things that can be of use for self defense in oneÂ’s immediate surroundings; a broom leaning in a corner or noting where the nearest exit door is in a restaurant.

This is the basis of what many Kenpoist understand as environmental awareness, but I assert that this concept goes much further than oneÂ’s immediate surroundings.

If oneÂ’s focus is on self-defense then the concern is with maintaining the safety and well-being of oneself as well as oneÂ’s family. That involves not only being aware of oneÂ’s immediate surroundings, but actively seeking out knowledge in regards to current events in your community that could have an impact on the welfare of you and your family. You may have heard of the notorious bar down the road, but were you aware that gang activity has increased or the incidents of home invasion have risen for example?

To take the concept a step further, have you considered the impact that national or even international events can have on your safety? Do you actively seek out information regarding all current events? We do not live in a static world and constant vigilance is necessary to stay well-informed. One can not be prepared for what one does not know.

Environmental Awareness, how far do you take it?

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some aspects of "environmental awareness" are ingrained to become subconscious, I often refer to this as the "hat on backwards" moment when you feel/sense/understand something about your surroundings that is not exactly clear but is certainly raised your senses to a new level. For me at least this "hat on backwards" moment usually occurs when "shady" people are around or something bad is going to happen. I can't put a full organizational chart on the triggers of this subconscious awareness.

The second compartment of "environmental awareness" is definitely conscious as we inspect our surroundings taking mental pictures and examining them moment by moment for any malicious anomalies. This active awareness is used daily by emergency responders (police, fire, emt, security guards), Military, and others in high stress/risk work environments. Your average Joe has this type of awareness but is very limited and hindered by our often busy lifestyle. Training in the martial arts brings out this conscious awareness slowly and surely until it is as keen as most emergency responders...ect.

Should this conscious awareness overcome our sensory input, so much so that we lose the enjoyment of life? ....NO

Should we sharpen our conscious and unconscious senses to become "automatic" so that we are safe at all times? ...YES!

How do we do this you ask? ...Time, Training, and Effort.

Just my humble .02 Cents,

Chris

Latest Discussions