Entanglement?

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok, Im just wondering what other peoples opinions on this are.When Im fighting, I prefer to attack quickly,knock the opponent to the ground then break off to deal with any other threats.Other fighters I know prefer to move in real close and in-fight or grapple with their opponent.I always figured this was kinda risky, too much chance of getting entangled with the opponent, and if you have to deal with more than one person thats a major problem.
Whats your thoughts?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
An Eternal Student said:
Ok, Im just wondering what other peoples opinions on this are.When Im fighting, I prefer to attack quickly,knock the opponent to the ground then break off to deal with any other threats.Other fighters I know prefer to move in real close and in-fight or grapple with their opponent.I always figured this was kinda risky, too much chance of getting entangled with the opponent, and if you have to deal with more than one person thats a major problem.
Whats your thoughts?

It all depends on the situation. Every fight will be different so of course, you have to alter your response. One thing that comes to mind here, is taking the person out of their fight game. For example, if they are striking, work your grappling, clinch work, and kicking. The same for kicking...work your close range strikes. Grappling is one of those often misunderstood things, because people automatically assume that it refers to the ground, which is not the case. Working from the clinch is an area in itself, however, it is an important area to know.

Mike

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Going down to the ground and wrestling with a single attacker is always a risky proposition. Rolling around on concrete is'nt any fun. Most people have friends, how will they feel while you are trying to break thier buddy's arm?
Todd

S

*sic

going to the ground, hmm not something i would personally recommend in a unknown environment, to many times i have seen fights go to the ground with one of the mates coming in and giving a solid kick to the face... not cool.

getting entangled is not really going to happen if you know what you are doing, just remember most people (general public) dont like to be close to another person you enter their comfort zone, im comfortable here, they arnt. who is better off?

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*sic said:
going to the ground, hmm not something i would personally recommend in a unknown environment, to many times i have seen fights go to the ground with one of the mates coming in and giving a solid kick to the face... not cool.

getting entangled is not really going to happen if you know what you are doing, just remember most people (general public) dont like to be close to another person you enter their comfort zone, im comfortable here, they arnt. who is better off?

Yup. That's pretty much my opinion.

It's all about comfort zone and what I've trained. I'm an in-fighter. I don't like the ground and, if I end up there, my primary goal is to do whatever damage I can as quickly as I can and get back to my feet as quickly as possible. But when fighting, I want to get in as close as I can.

My reasons for this are manifold:

First, I have poor depth perception so I want to get in close where I can rely more on tactile awareness than on my eyes.

Second, if I'm aware of the person through tactile awareness, then my eyes are free to scan the surroundings for other threats.

Third, at that range, I can bring all of my guns into play - hands, forearms, shoulders, head, knees, shins, and feet.

Fourth, it gives me a lot of access to their balance and if they're off balance it's harder for them to attack or defend.

Fifth, as Sic pointed out, a lot of people aren't comfortable there so that range often gives me an advantage.

And, the bottom line, it's all about what I've trained. If I'm a long range fighter then I'm going to try stay at long range. If I'm a close range fighter then I'm going to try to get to and stay in short range. If I'm a groundfighter then I'm going to try to take it to the ground. As a short range fighter, the only time I'll get "entangled" (in a bad way) is if something goes wrong. The more I train, the better I become, the less likely something is to go wrong - the odds are stacked in my favor.

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
pesilat said:
Yup. That's pretty much my opinion.

It's all about comfort zone and what I've trained. I'm an in-fighter. I don't like the ground and, if I end up there, my primary goal is to do whatever damage I can as quickly as I can and get back to my feet as quickly as possible. Mike
I'm with you Mike!!! Get in...cause damage/disruption, take them DOWN, break something in the process....
get out.

;-)
Your Brother
John

O

OC Kid

As a stand up fighter , Ill strike hard (knocking them down ) or sweep them taking them down. I will then do what I must to keep them down so they cant come after me again.

Most people (bullies) will have friends with them to show off and have them say how "bad" the bully is to stroke his ego. So I will not go on the ground as the bullys friends my be inclined to stomp a mud hole in ya while your down.

Strike hard, incompacitate your enemy and stop him and his friends from coming at you again. Then get the heck outta there to aviod anymore problems.

V

Vadim

If a situation escalates to a point where you need to use force and you have multiple attackers coming after you use quick strikes to engage your attackers and get out of the situation as quickly as you can. It is not a good situation to have multiple attackers coming at you because there is the possibilty of them nullifying any of your attacks by simply "bum-rushing" you and beating you into a bloody mess. Keep in mind that you are also bound by legal ramifications of your actions. What you can articulate to the courts will be your saving grace or your downfall.

If you are involved for example in a one on one fight and the person swings at you with their fist and you are successful in blocking but you then proceed to attack repeatedly and seriously injure your attacker in the process you can subject yourself to legal action or arrest. I've seen it happen where a person was attacked by another using a beer bottle. The person was successful in removing the bottle from the other but then the person proceeded to beat the other over the head with the bottle causing a crushed orbital socket and deep cuts to the facial area. It is one thing to protect yourself but another to seek revenge upon your attacker. Both individuals were arrested as a result of this incident.

Always be cognizant of your surroundings. If you must use force in a situation acquaint yourself with the law concerning self-defense and act appropriately. Do not go overboard. Remember every situation of conflict is different.

-Vadim

O

OC Kid

Very true. You have the right to defend yourself but not to continue the attack once the attackers threat has been eliminated.