Enshin Karate the evolution of Kyokushin?

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do ou all think of Enshin Karate in that it came from Kyokushin Karate? Would Mas Oyama hate it or like it? Is it more useful then Kyokushin or less? Perhaps its more open minded and less constricting. In a short sentence my question is WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ENSHIN KARATE as well as WHAT DO YOU THINK MAS OYAMA WOULD SAY ABOUT IT IF HE WERE ALIVE (R.I.P.)

Here are some clips of Enshin Karate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LXvfl_Ikt4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQXDfLHCQVI&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do ou all think of Enshin Karate in that it came from Kyokushin Karate? Would Mas Oyama hate it or like it? Is it more useful then Kyokushin or less? Perhaps its more open minded and less constricting. In a short sentence my question is WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ENSHIN KARATE as well as WHAT DO YOU THINK MAS OYAMA WOULD SAY ABOUT IT IF HE WERE ALIVE (R.I.P.)

Here are some clips of Enshin Karate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LXvfl_Ikt4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQXDfLHCQVI&feature=related

It's just different not better or worse. It may be better for YOU depending on what your goals are though.

Enshin karate was derived from Ashihara karate which was derived from Kyokushin. One of the main differences is that Kyokushin retains it's past ties with the traditional kata to learn self-defense. Enshin karate was developed from tournament fighting and that is where it shines the best.

If you read, "My Journey in Karate" by Kancho Ninomiya, he chronicles his training and his development of Enshin karate. It is all derived from the All Japan tournaments and what worked in those. As far as a lot of more "street" experience, it sounds very limited. So for a good sport style it is great, if you are looking for a more traditional art or one geared more towards self-defense it might not be your cup of tea.

So to me, I would not say that Enshin is the "evolution" of Kyokushin as an art. But, it might be a further evolution in sport karate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
All these offshoots of Kyokushin just makes me wish there a couple more of me. I'm truly obsessed with Mas Oyama's line and legacy. I guess it comes from starting in Seido which is itself an offshoot of Kyokushin. Oh, if I had the time I would learn them all.

OP
M

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
All these offshoots of Kyokushin just makes me wish there a couple more of me. I'm truly obsessed with Mas Oyama's line and legacy. I guess it comes from starting in Seido which is itself an offshoot of Kyokushin. Oh, if I had the time I would learn them all.

So what art would you consider GREAT for self defense?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Evolved" is probably too encompassing of a word to describe systems that break away and form.

It's more of a matter of seeing how a system has developed to suit the likes and dislikes of the founder, rather than to call it an evolution. After all, there are still many similarities between the original Kyokushin Kai system versus Asihara and Enshin.

If you want full contact, and want to partake in sport competitions of such nature, any of the three are going to be fine. Just because a particular system leans more towards competition (or away from competition), does not necessarily make it any less effective for self-defense.

Listen to punisher73. He hit the target dead center here...

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Osu!

I started in Kyokushin and then moved to an Enshin dojo.

Overall I enjoy it alot. The Sabaki principle of strategy and position makes it seem a smarter style.

Not saying it is better but the methodology behind it fits with my logic and we get to spar full contact and throw each other around.

Osu!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the best, karate or Judo, aikido or jujitsu,kung fu or kyokushin kai.............

Every MA well done is great period. I like alot kyokushin kumite videos, yes it's rough but what I practice and try to do it well is TKD and I think TKD is a great MA.

Nice to see very open mid people here about this. And yes I would rather prefer a .45 acp handgun than Enshin or Kyokushin or Tae Kwon Do any time jajajajajajaja.

Manny