Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning;
it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Caffeine. Oxygen. Water. Not sure that I want to give any of them up... Or prioritize them. Though I only have the doctor's word that lack of oxygen or water will kill me...

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As with anything know your body and what you're putting into it. If you have any pre-existing condition like high blood pressure I probably wouldn't recommend it. I rarely use them but if I do I'll have one to get me over whatever hump I need.

Maaria

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not take synthetic drinks to enhance my energy levels. I am a strong supporter of natural supplements used for electrolyte replacement. Different bodies have different capabilities and weaknesses and one who is aware about what to put in and what to avoid can hardly go wrong because our body senses what is good for it and what is not. I just need to listen to its signals.

Aiseant

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Those drinks worry me too ... the only drink you need to stay alive is water
I only used it once during the last run of a student project, the whole team all nigh awake but I'm not really caffeine affected, so RB or such doesn't have many energizing effects on myself. I would rather not drink than drink such "power booster" before or during training (and after ... it would be madness for me)
We ask people in our school not to drink it either because it has impredictible effect for the health, but also on the mood of some people.

The best drink I have for long training session is 2/3 water with a little pinch of salt and 1/3 grape juice (grape gives a very sweet juice). No cramp during training, no muscle stiffness after

Shkat

White Belt
Reaction score
Every body has its own opinion so i am saying my about the energy drinks. In my point of view there is zero percent energy in all energy drinks because they all use sense or flavors for just provide the taste. So we all should use fresh juices for get energy.

David Lader

5th Dan Tae Kwon Do Master
Reaction score
I am fifty, and I've been training seriously for over 35 years... I've tried just about everything over the years, and various stimulants have certainly provided me with the "boost" I wanted in the moment - thermogenics are all essentially the same, and they are all, in my opinion, fairly harmful over the long haul... Having a strong dose of caffein periodically seems fairly harmless, and good coffee can be a real pleasure and even medicinal in certain respects... Still, nothing beats good, old fashioned self-care in the form of good rest, real food, and, most importantly, a peaceful spirit... Take care...good luck.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seeing this and being diabetic has made me realise that I am glad that I find the taste of all energy drinks quite repulsive and can't stand tea or coffee. Just drink water and occassionally some fruit juice and I seem to be able to survive fine and operate normally in day to day life and whilst training.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seeing this and being diabetic has made me realise that I am glad that I find the taste of all energy drinks quite repulsive and can't stand tea or coffee. Just drink water and occassionally some fruit juice and I seem to be able to survive fine and operate normally in day to day life and whilst training.
zero sugar Monster drinks. I live off them. 3 to 4 a night.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The original energy drinks from Asia are very high in sugars. The ones that were reformulated for the US market offer versions that are artificially sweetened as well.

Personally I've found that my body reacts very differently to caffeine anhydrous vs. naturally occurring caffeine. I love my coffee, and I quite like tea as well. But Energy drinks, no-doz, Excedrin, etc. just leave me feeling ill once the jolt wears off.

I do OK with GU gels most likely because they use green tea for the caffeine source than adding powder. Even so, they are more of an "emergency" energy source for me. I keep a few in my glove box and a few in my backpack but have rarely used them outside long (6+ hour) hiking treks. Usually just give me my cuppa iced coffee in the morning and I'm good for the rest of the day :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No sugar? Isn't sugar a big part of the point of these things?

I don't know but Monster makes a zero cal zero sugar zero carb in a white can I love it. i think it uses high amounts of vit. B ginsing and other stuff.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you mean Red Bull or Monster, I don't know. If you mean 5 Hour Energy, I've had a few of them but you always hear rumors and so on...like deaths supposedly related to consuming too many. As for me, the only energy drink I have is one called E & E, which has never had any adverse side effects, and I have been using it for a while. (I take it only when I know it's time to work out, but I feel too tired to get around to it. I take E & E and then 20 minutes later I am ready to rock!)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about them? Good or bad?

Are any "bad" for you?

i sometimes get 5 hour energy drinks free, they dont do anything for me i never get more or less energy but a lot of people i know say there really helpful (mostly my sister but still...)

Latest Discussions