Energy Drinks

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about them? Good or bad?

Are any "bad" for you?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to go twice a day 8-9 hours a week training. I looked for an after-workout reviver, protein carb shakes. I also started drinking a little Performance, an orange drink from Shaklee before workouts-electrolytes, potassium, sodium are good. Gave me alot of energy but slowly the pounds came on. I gained muscle as well though. Its hard to know ahead of time if the workout was going to be easy or hard and if I consumed too many calories in the drink ahead of time, it was too late unless I compensated with a light lunch. If you are expending the calories, I think it is okay. The after workout protein shake gives the body the building blocks for muscle repair right after a workout in an easily consumed way so its fast.

Just look out for the drinks with caffeine and too much sugar. Not worth it and not that great an energizer.

Here's an article on energy drinks. TW

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh oh...it said not to mix alcohol with energy drinks. No more Jager bombs for me. I've tried a few and there is one by Quixtar (basically Amway online) that is high in B-complex vitamins and it's the best I've had because it gives energy but doesn't make me jittery. I've tried Red Bull, Amp, and a few others I forget, but I like the XS the best and they supposedly aren't bad for you. It's sweetened with sucralose which is an artificial sweetener that isn't full of aspartame and other harmful chemicals that I know of, although there is still some discussion about it (aka Splenda), so it's sugar-free I think. Also, my wife used to sell them and several other drinks at the gym she runs and owns, so I could ask her what other people thought if you want. It might take a few days to repoly though because my only internet access is at work for the time being...stupid SP2 for Windows broke my computer at home, I think.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to take Red Bull before sparring matches or exams but its not good and if you lose then believe me the dump you can get after is really not nice, and is worse than the loser feeling you could usually get. Energy drinks are good for one off occasions but do not become reliant upon them because the effects are not generally good. I remember reading an article on energy drinks but I cannot remember where it was, sorry! :idunno:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sugar spikes are part of the road to insulin-resistant diabetes & syndrome X. Caffiene, in large amounts, increases resting cortisol levels. In smaller doses, actually improves performance with minimal side-effects. Have a cup-o-java, train hard, and live long. Have 3 cups o java or a red bull, and now you're looking at something that probably shouldn't be done too often.

Reality? I'm a sugar addict, and will likely have diabetes type 2 sooner rather than later. Oh well. Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

D.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Stimulants like any drugs can help if needed, but can become habit-forming (raising tolerance and defeating the purpose).

I like Powerade (not really an energy drink, but anyway...) heavily diluted with water - so I can drink more fluid without OD-ing on sugar and salt.

I'm also partial to Sobe drinks with guarana, ginseng, etc. used in moderation if I think I might need a little more energy.

Most energy drinks I see (especially Red Bull, and all its clones) contain the stimulant, taurine.

Before Red Bull came out, the only other place I saw the word taurine was on ingredient labels for cat food - to keep the kitties frisky - so I was quite wary of it for a while. I still don't drink it because I don't like the taste.

Xequat: "...it said not to mix alcohol with energy drinks."

Oh yeah, the oh-so popular, it seems, vodka-redbull drink . . . mixing uppers and downers . . . tsk tsk tsk, have we learned nothing from our hippie days?

As for which are good; which are bad . . .

I dunno.

Listen to your body.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
Before Red Bull came out, the only other place I saw the word taurine was on ingredient labels for cat food - to keep the kitties frisky - .
Dont try stimulants try catnip! Its like cannibis, but for cats!

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Every now and then I may take an energy SHOT, but never one of the drinks like Red Bull. The closest I ever got to that was Beachbody's pre-workout drink called Energy and Endurance. That gave me a boost wig no crash later.

Deshawn

White Belt
Reaction score
I absorbed too many calorie consumption in the consume beforehand, it was too overdue unless I paid for with a lighting lunchtime. If you are spending the calorie consumption, I think it is okay. The after exercise amino acids move gives the body the basis for muscular fix right after a exercise in an quickly absorbed way so its quick. ..

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A good friend had some seriouse issues with Red Bull consumption. He was SUPER fit, ran marathons, biked, did A LOT of physical exercise... and also drank like four to six RB's a day...

Well, JB had a pretty major stroke a year or so back. And, his doctors stopped short of saying that it was the large amounts of Taurine that had done it to him...

Has this detered me from drinking an occasional RB when I'm looking at a 0300 end of shift... and I'm yawning at 2300? No, it hasn't; but, I have ONE, and it's cut 50% with soda water...

Wonder if those FIVE HOUR ENERGY would work for taining...

Just my .02... before taxes...

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A good friend had some seriouse issues with Red Bull consumption. He was SUPER fit, ran marathons, biked, did A LOT of physical exercise... and also drank like four to six RB's a day...

Well, JB had a pretty major stroke a year or so back. And, his doctors stopped short of saying that it was the large amounts of Taurine that had done it to him...

Has this detered me from drinking an occasional RB when I'm looking at a 0300 end of shift... and I'm yawning at 2300? No, it hasn't; but, I have ONE, and it's cut 50% with soda water...

Wonder if those FIVE HOUR ENERGY would work for taining...

Just my .02... before taxes...

Hehe...I should have said I don't use the five hour energy for training...just every now and then to get through the second half of a boring shift.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about them? Good or bad?

Are any "bad" for you?

I personally stay away from pre-made energy drinks. Many of them are loaded with caffine under different names. I saw one product that had five different caffine ingredients under five different labels. The only product that I would use with caffine is N.O. Shotgun prior to a heavy workout. And only because I've talked with the company to find out the amount of caffine is equivelent to one cup of coffee. And the only reason for it being in the formula is to activate one of the other ingredients. But it isn't totally necessary because N.O. Synthesize is almost the same forumula sans caffine.

Typically, and energy drink is suppose to give you energy. What I'm saying here is that there is a difference between a quick 'pick-me-up' and the inevideble crash and something that will provide sustained energy. Honey is an old time bodybuilding tip. Two tablespoons of raw, unfiltered honey provide 17 carbs of sustained energy (you don't crash like you would in a sugar rush). Vitamin B6 and B12 also provide energy. It is also a matter of staying properly hydrated and maintaining your electrolyte balance. Don't use thirst as a sign you need to hydrate. By the time you're thirsty you're already 20% down. For a workout, I use a 1/2 tablespoon scoop of Gatorade (the powdered form is cheap and you can control the amount of sugar and sodium) along with a scoop of Ionic Fizz which has calcium, magnesium, potassium and other nutrients to also replace lost electrolytes.

If you're going to have a lot of carbs, you also need to mix in protein as well of some sort i.e. a shake. This slows down the absorption of the carbs and provides more of a level, sustained energy.

I would also recommend getting a good Ribose product. Ribose (also called Corvalin) is a very simple sugar (not table sugar) that provides sustained energy and is EXCELLENT for your heart. I do two doses a day, usually in my protein shakes.

Sustained energy can also be obtained from barley grass or wheat grass juice or power mixed with water. I can have a bland or sweet taste (and the powder can simply be put under your tounge without water if you like). It is natural and is very nutritionally dense.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like an all natural approach to energy drinks. I don't think you can go wrong with juicing fresh fruits and vegetables :drinkbeer

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tried Red Bull once, and made it through one mouthfull before spitting it out, because it tasted like crap to Me.

Other than that, I sometimes have 1-2 carbonated soft drinks over the course of a day, but Im considering changing that.

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just like with anything else I eat, I read all of the ingredients on the side of the energy drink and ask myself for each ingredient "Am I sure this is going to contribute positively to the health of my body?"

I've never drank one.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
It also depends upon the person. Some people can handle the caffiene, sugar, etc better than others. There are also certain conditions that can actually make power drinks deadly. Know your body, know what you are putting in your body, and keep things in moderation is some very good advice I have recieved.

Isebell

White Belt
Reaction score
I love Red Bull" it is amazing in taste and also boosts energy level. I drink it before starting my workout. It is better than any other energy drink.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
5hr Energy is being cited as a cause of death in a growing number of cases. I won't touch it because it's sweetened with sucralose/Splenda which has serious health concerns associated with it.

My wife likes the Full Throttle - Blue but it's hard to get around us. I only drink em when I'm on long road trips. My usual stim of choice is Starbucks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The simple fact is that anything that causes an increase in energy is also going to cause an increase in physical stressors. Is that harmful? Maybe. Depends...

In general, if you are using energy supplements occassionally, in moderation, and have no underlying health problems, they're not likely to cause you any harm.

On the other hand, if you're using stimulants regularly (or excessively on an occassional basis), have high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, prinzmetal angina, or any of a hundred other conditions that would predispose you to strokes, heart attacks, or tachycardias, then you're inviting problems.

The human body exists in a fairly precarious state of balance, and it can be easy to push it over the edge. For example, at this time of year we see a fair bit of what we call "Holiday Heart". A person who is not normally much a drinker, but who has a proclivity for atrial fibrillation will have a bit more alcohol than usual. Not even enough to be drunk, for some. Alcohol increases irritability of the heart muscle. And *poof*... they're in a-fib. I've seen many many cases of a-fib and SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia) caused by alcohol, caffiene, energy drinks, and other stimulants. I'm sure I've seen heart attacks and strokes caused by their use as well, but frankly, in those cases, nobody will make the connection till much later, simply because the cause doesn't affect treatment, and we're focused on stopping the damage.

Latest Discussions