Endurance Exercises

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Where's the "she" in this discussion?
2) The joke was about losing 10 pounds a day. I don't think that's possible unless you do a boot camp of starvation and marathons.

Along with "LIKE" and such, we really really need a "FACEPALM" option...

stand-up-i-say-stand-up-son-the-jokes-are-going-right-over-your-head.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many times by the end of my 3 sparring rounds, usually 1 minute to 2 minutes per round, I find myself barely breathing, and super tired. And naturally you should expect to be tired. I'm wondering ways you guys use to help with endurance, so what do you do to help you last longer in a fight?

Another thing I was wondering if there was a limit to endurance, like by the end of most of my matches I'm breathing really heavily, and I almost feel as if I don't have enough breath. The other day I fought another kid that was a belt or 2 higher than I and by the end of the match he didn't even seemed dazed, maybe it's just me or maybe their endurance is a lot better than mine.

Any tips or tricks are helpful, and appreciated.
This may have nothing to do with your situation, but would be worth considering if your breathing endurance doesn't improve as you train. I found out in my late teens that I have exercise-induced asthma. According to my doctor, it was the reason I could never sustain intensity in running (always a slow runner on distances, though I was fast on things like 100-yd dash) and soccer. I haven't had any significant problems since my early 30's, so maybe I finally am past the worst (I still get a build-up of phlegm when I exercise hard enough).

Anyway, my point is that if you find you get stuck at the same breathing endurance even as you train, never improving, then maybe check with your doctor. For me, an inhaler to use when asthma took my breath away really allowed me to work a lot harder in classes - more intensity for longer periods of time.

OP
Professor Random

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my running days I would run when it was below zero Fahrenheit as long as ice and snow did not make it to slippery. So, the first issue is thinking 57 is cold.
makes me cold of just thinking about that

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my running days I would run when it was below zero Fahrenheit as long as ice and snow did not make it to slippery. So, the first issue is thinking 57 is cold.
I used to run in cold, too. Now I wuss out as soon as it gets much below 50F. I blame my knees, though I think the real problem is about 4 feet higher.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many times by the end of my 3 sparring rounds, usually 1 minute to 2 minutes per round, I find myself barely breathing, and super tired. And naturally you should expect to be tired. I'm wondering ways you guys use to help with endurance, so what do you do to help you last longer in a fight?

Another thing I was wondering if there was a limit to endurance, like by the end of most of my matches I'm breathing really heavily, and I almost feel as if I don't have enough breath. The other day I fought another kid that was a belt or 2 higher than I and by the end of the match he didn't even seemed dazed, maybe it's just me or maybe their endurance is a lot better than mine.

Any tips or tricks are helpful, and appreciated.
If you don't run, then start running. Half a mile will do. Jump rope for 1 minute. Start with doing 3 sets of that. When that gets easy increase the time to 2 minutes 3 sets. Make sure you get a decent pace in running and with the jump rope. You don't want to go too fast and you don't want to do go to slow. Choose a pace that gives you a challenge.

Also try to determine what is making you so tired. If it's the kicking then do a bunch of kicks for 1 minute; do 3 sets. If it's punching then do a punch of punches for 1 minute; do 3 sets.

Also pay attention to how tense you are. If you are too tense then learn to relax. Being tense burns up an incredible amount of energy. You can last longer if you are calm and relax.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder how many people understand the reference this cartoon character.
The 'Foghorn Leghorn', Looney Tunes character was based upon a fictional radio character, Senator Beauregard Claghorn, from the Fred Allen Radio Show. Foghorn used many of Claghorn's phrases from the show such as "That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you don't run, then start running.
How to replace running with something similar but more benefit to MA can be an interested discussion.

The "low stance walking" is much harder that running. IMO, it's better for your knee.

low_stance_walk.jpg

Try to drill this just for 1 mile can be difficult.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 'Foghorn Leghorn', Looney Tunes character was based upon a fictional radio character, Senator Beauregard Claghorn, from the Fred Allen Radio Show. Foghorn used many of Claghorn's phrases from the show such as "That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son."

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mr. Bag is your friend.

One of the drills that we do is this. Put an upright bag dead center in your sparring ring. To start out, all you will attack it with is jab, cross, back leg round kick. If I start with my left leg forward, I'll end with my right leg forward. Lather, rinse, repeat, alternating sides each combo, and yell on each kick.

Start out doing this for one minute. Your object is to try to drive the bag into the corner - that ensures that you are using full force, because that bag will only shift an inch or two. When you get to the corner, or when your 60 second timer sounds, reset the timer, do deep breaths for 15 seconds, then repeat the drill and drive the bag back to the center. Do this 3 times, and do it 3 times a week.

When your breathing, endurance, etc. have gotten to the point where this has become "easy", change the drill. Start with the one minute segment, but when you reset, change the timer to two minutes and try to drive the bag across the center and into the opposite corner. Then do the one minute return to center. When you get to the point where this is "easy", then mix up the techniques - add some reverse side kicks to the back leg round kicks and at random times, do a jump reverse side or jump round kick.

This drill sounds easy. I thought I was in good shape until I started doing it. :bawling::bawling:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
How to replace running with something similar but more benefit to MA can be an interested discussion.

The "low stance walking" is much harder that running. IMO, it's better for your knee.

There are different components to endurance. "Cardio" and muscular. Cardio involves the ability of the heart and lungs to provide the needed energy to the body, and muscular refers to the ability of the muscles to repeatedly perform a function.

I don't know how true it is but when Marathon training the conventional wisdom was cardio developed to run 5-6 miles would enable you to finish the race, but longer miles developed the muscles ability to get you their the longer distance.

The law of "Specificity " pretty much means that to develop musculature for a certain activity you need to do that activity.
So, doing Low Stance walking will enhance your ability for sustained Low Stance walking.

Sparring for sustained periods will enhance your sparring ability. We do a drill called Chain technique. You link together continuous sparring moves for a period of 1 minute. A partner can serve as a target. There should be no pause between techniques.

for cardio you need to raise your heart rate to a peak level and keep it there for at least 20 minutes. This needs to be done at least 3 x a week.

BTW IMO running with temps around 60 is great to keep your core temp from getting to high and perspiring excessively.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are different components to endurance. "Cardio" and muscular. Cardio involves the ability of the heart and lungs to provide the needed energy to the body, and muscular refers to the ability of the muscles to repeatedly perform a function.

I don't know how true it is but when Marathon training the conventional wisdom was cardio developed to run 5-6 miles would enable you to finish the race, but longer miles developed the muscles ability to get you their the longer distance.

The law of "Specificity " pretty much means that to develop musculature for a certain activity you need to do that activity.
So, doing Low Stance walking will enhance your ability for sustained Low Stance walking.

Sparring for sustained periods will enhance your sparring ability. We do a drill called Chain technique. You link together continuous sparring moves for a period of 1 minute. A partner can serve as a target. There should be no pause between techniques.

for cardio you need to raise your heart rate to a peak level and keep it there for at least 20 minutes. This needs to be done at least 3 x a week.

BTW IMO running with temps around 60 is great to keep your core temp from getting to high and perspiring excessively.
I highly doubt ANYONE is doing to be able to keep their peak heart rate for 20 minutes. 70% or so of peak heart rate for 20+ minutes can be done. Peak HR for that long will most likely result in cardiac arrest.

Edit: I should state 20 minutes STRAIGHT, not 20 minutes total, such as in intervals.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I highly doubt ANYONE is doing to be able to keep their peak heart rate for 20 minutes. 70% or so of peak heart rate for 20+ minutes can be done. Peak HR for that long will most likely result in cardiac arrest.

Edit: I should state 20 minutes STRAIGHT, not 20 minutes total, such as in intervals.

I should have defined "Peak Level" or target as opposed to peak heart rate . The peak level is a certain level typically arrived at a as rate x function of % x Function of age. What is a safe upper limit for heart rate during exercise?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Easy equation for cardio (running) training:
(220 - age) x 0.7 = target heart rate
Easiest, not best.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

low_stance_walk.jpg

Try to drill this just for 1 mile can be difficult.

Nike-Fu is totally martial artsy.
In the warrior memoirs pre- Edo era, you will find a lot of references to 'we got beat, we left'
Non of that 'fight til you die' BS.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor! ;)

regardless, back to the topic.

running, if your knees can handle it.
I was always good at sprints, not so much the long stuff...
these days, for various reasons, you see me run, keep up.

As far as endurance for sparring:
Do it more often.
Do sparring drills that have you hopping for 2-3 minutes.
Do rounds with the heavy bag for that amount of time (less chance of getting hit back when you are tired and drop your guard)

Good point about the breathing though, both the ke-hap and the astma.
Yelling means you are breathing (plus it helps the punch or kick out a bit)

And if one is inclined to start running, I heard a lot of good stuff about 'from couch to 5k'

But again, if you see me running these days, I am probably on fire - literally.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
A couple of drills: 1. Chain techniques with partner. Partner serves merely as moving opponent / target. They do not block defend or counter. You must link your attacks together without pause. Switch roles after 1 minute. Adjust interval as desired. 2. Stand on one leg and Kick continuously with the other without putting it down and vary the kicks. Partner serves as target. Start with 30 second intervals and switch roles every 30 seconds. 3. Whistle drill . Same as #1 but witch when instructor blows whistle as quickly s you can. Instructor varies intervals at unknown times varying from 30 -45 seconds. Aids in quickness to switch from defense to offense.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to run in cold, too. Now I wuss out as soon as it gets much below 50F. I blame my knees, though I think the real problem is about 4 feet higher.
Yes, my knees get more sore in the cold too. I noticed it first with skating in my 20's then noticed it more in running in my 30's.

My record for running in the cold was about 2 miles (3.5km) in -30F / -35C. The buses were running hourly, and I wanted to get to university before the next bus. Mid-way through the run I told myself I had to speed up because I was really getting too cold. My usual limit was about --4F/20C.

Latest Discussions