Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
Good stuff
which art is this?

but.. uh... with all due respect but he is holding the daggers backwards!! that's why it's easy to defend.
Hi Mantis,

The art mentioned in this clip is "Kali".

The instructor in this clip is using a saber grip. The daggers points are forward from what I saw.

Best regards,

Palusut

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hi Mantis,

The art mentioned in this clip is "Kali".

The instructor in this clip is using a saber grip. The daggers points are forward from what I saw.

Best regards,

Palusut
maybe im ignorant to kali you got me there
but still that's why it's easy to defend. It'd be cool if we see another clip with the daggers pointed the other way.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Mantis,

The cool thing about clip is that it actually shows the "knife-tapping" drill. This drill can incorporate saber feeds or ice-pick type feeds equally.

While I can understand that your personal comfort level is higher defending against the saber feed as compared to the ice-pick type feed, there are some things that need to be considered generally:

I) The purpose of the clip was to introduce basic to semi-basic knife-tapping feeds and responses. The purpose was instructional.

II) The drill is mainly a dexterity and response tool only. The feeder has to be concerned about the defender's safety, which would not be the case in real life. These simulated knife angle feeds only.

III) Protecting yourself against a determined attacker is the difficulty, regardless what grip they are using. Actually grip determination gives way to instinct, training, response, and survival.

Best regards,

Palusut

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hi Mantis,

The cool thing about clip is that it actually shows the "knife-tapping" drill. This drill can incorporate saber feeds or ice-pick type feeds equally.

While I can understand that your personal comfort level is higher defending against the saber feed as compared to the ice-pick type feed, there are some things that need to be considered generally:

I) The purpose of the clip was to introduce basic to semi-basic knife-tapping feeds and responses. The purpose was instructional.

II) The drill is mainly a dexterity and response tool only. The feeder has to be concerned about the defender's safety, which would not be the case in real life. These simulated knife angle feeds only.

III) Protecting yourself against a determined attacker is the difficulty, regardless what grip they are using. Actually grip determination gives way to instinct, training, response, and survival.

Best regards,

Palusut
Understood sir. You are right, but maybe i was expecting a different thing. I am still interested in knowing how you would defend against the other grip especially with double daggers. I think it's tough to get out of that situation without getting cut somewhere, dont you think?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
Understood sir. You are right, but maybe i was expecting a different thing. I am still interested in knowing how you would defend against the other grip especially with double daggers. I think it's tough to get out of that situation without getting cut somewhere, dont you think?

Understood and great request!

This drill can definitely incorporate the reverse grip and with double daggers.

Nanalo74, Could you and Sifu Barry supply a clip like that sometime?

Everyone else's clips are welcome as well.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:

is this something you would show me?
or this maybe? I dont know if those are authentic or which FMA style they are but they definitely look pretty good

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
is this something you would show me?
or this maybe? I dont know if those are authentic or which FMA style they are but they definitely look pretty good

Hi Mantis,

These clips show the "knife-tapping" drills of Sayoc-Kali.

Great clips, Thanks!

OP
Nanalo74

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:

Will do.