Elvis does Kenpo....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Posting videos on KT, and I came across a few old Elvis ones.

[yt]lv6_Qs1hOgY[/yt]

Elvis doing karate
[yt]LLeroVM2n04[/yt]

[yt]qvehGcMMOmY[/yt]

[yt]lPs8mQuH0jg[/yt]

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
interesting. I knew Elvis did karate, but never knew what kind or how long.

Kool to know he was exposed to it in the military. Goes to show how much of an influence the military has on the expansion of M.A.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard he was considering getting back into training just before he died.

Other story I heard was that the guy who first trained him koed him when they met to test his resolve or if he was a spoiled actor.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard he was considering getting back into training just before he died.

Other story I heard was that the guy who first trained him koed him when they met to test his resolve or if he was a spoiled actor.

http://www.tracyskarate.com/Stories/was_elvis_really_a_black_belt.htm

I read the story I linked to and thought, well, Elvis must have actually earned his belt.

But looking at that little demo on the clips - man, I'm a yon-kyu, and my karate doesn't look that sloppy, I hope. That was crap!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those Elvis clips are always good for a laugh. Check out that ridiculously long belt, or the shirt collar poking out. Oh, and his stance in every instance makes me go "wha?"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those Elvis clips are always good for a laugh. Check out that ridiculously long belt, or the shirt collar poking out. Oh, and his stance in every instance makes me go "wha?"
Yah... the first one had him wearing that... is that.. that a... a ... turban? :rolleyes:

Then I remembered... he was the KING and (like someone else who has {mistakenly"} has that title... he was able to do/wear whatever he wanted.

To my understanding he studied under GM Ed Parker Sr. for a long time. In fact one of his guitars had the EPAK crest decal on it.