Eliminating the 3 Ms of karate

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thought was an interesting article. Posted here even though it's karate-based, as it's still relevant.

Similar to other teachings I've been exposed to, which is eliminating the inessential, extraneous stuff, to get to the essence.

Obviously requires a basis or foundation, but looking at what we're adding on that doesn't need to be there and in the end can hinder.

Muda, Muri, Mura - The 3 M's of Karate

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your

- hand should coordinate with your foot.
- elbow should coordinate with your knee.
- shoulder should coordinate with your hip.

All body parts should start to move at the same time, and stop at the same time. This is called "body unification".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let’s use the stepping punch again.

What part of the body do you move first?

The head? The shoulders?

Your elbow!?

For greatest economy of movement, initializing the stepping punch through the back leg, buttock and shooting the pelvis/hip forward in an arching movement is what most instructors would agree is the optimal way. Only then can the head, shoulders and rest of the body be propelled forward and hurled into the object receiving your (hopefully) devastating blow.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your

- hand should coordinate with your foot.
- elbow should coordinate with your knee.
- shoulder should coordinate with your hip.

All body parts should start to move at the same time, and stop at the same time. This is called "body unification".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let’s use the stepping punch again.

What part of the body do you move first?

The head? The shoulders?

Your elbow!?

For greatest economy of movement, initializing the stepping punch through the back leg, buttock and shooting the pelvis/hip forward in an arching movement is what most instructors would agree is the optimal way. Only then can the head, shoulders and rest of the body be propelled forward and hurled into the object receiving your (hopefully) devastating blow.

I think there's an organic sequencing or flow that happens throughout the body. All still moves in a unified way, but perhaps not all in the exact same manner or at exactly the same time.

For example, in front stance stepping forward to do a lunge punch, the actual mechanics and motion of the arm/punch doesn't really start as soon as you push to step forward, as the legs are alot slower than the arm. If you timed it to move with the legs, well the arm will move far too slowly and not gain any momentum.

I think that's what he's more getting at with that particular point, understanding the smooth sequencing, for EACH particular technique as they will all be slightly different to each other). And not STARTING with a part that doesn't fire until later.

I dunno if that makes sense?

So here, Hotton Sensei is advocating in this particular movement for things to move together in a connected way:

But here, there's like a wave or roll through the body that he teaches, and a connected sequencing:

(The next few vids in this series are really cool too)

Food for thought anyway! By no means am I making any claims haha

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
as the legs are alot slower than the arm. If you timed it to move with the legs, well the arm will move far too slowly and not gain any momentum.
It can be done. Just need more training. When your leg can move fast, your punch will be fast.

In your mind, you only think about:

- compress, and
- release.

Your body is like 3 springs. All 3 springs are compressed at the same time, and then all are released at the same time. This way, you can feel your power explosion.

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It can be done. Just need more training. When your leg can move fast, your punch will be fast.

In your mind, you only think about:

- compress, and
- release.

Your body is like 3 springs. All 3 springs are compressed at the same time, and then all are released at the same time. This way, you can feel your power explosion.

Hmm interesting, thanks John, some thought-provoking stuff. Loved the flow and continuity in the movements there in those forms. And I trust your many many more years of experience than what I have.

It's something I'm still yet to finesse and discovery in my own training and body, first step is releasing unnecessary tension I hold haha.

I do like both approaches: seeing it like a chain or flow of energy that runs through the body in a very connected sequence, and also in the unified way of everything working together at the same time.

Latest Discussions