Effective Training Schedule?

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully everyone can view the pics I uploaded. If you can, do you think this is a decent training routine? I want to do day 1, 2, then 3 and repeat. So that will be six days of training and one "rest" day.

I want to lose 10-15 pounds, build lean muscle, and increase my cardio endurance. Do you guys think this routine can help me reach those specific goals?

Attachments

• 20180519_175213_001.jpg
    20180519_175213_001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 172

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just do what works for you. There's no rule about training everyone does their own thing

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may increase you cardio, if yo
Hopefully everyone can view the pics I uploaded. If you can, do you think this is a decent training routine? I want to do day 1, 2, then 3 and repeat. So that will be six days of training and one "rest" day.

I want to lose 10-15 pounds, build lean muscle, and increase my cardio endurance. Do you guys think this routine can help me reach those specific goals?
It may increase cardio, if your cardio is pretty low, but it will do very little to build lean muscle or weight loss
Spilt the " excercisr" from the ma practise and then come up with a programme that has enough intensity to build muscles and burn calories,

Something like, Monday, a 100 press ups, weds 30 pull ups, Friday a 100 weighted squats, , on the inbetween days do some running and practise your technique

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It may increase cardio, if your cardio is pretty low, but it will do very little to build lean muscle or weight loss
Spilt the " excercisr" from the ma practise and then come up with a programme that has enough intensity to build muscles and burn calories,

Something like, Monday, a 100 press ups, weds 30 pull ups, Friday a 100 weighted squats, , on the inbetween days do some running A bit of skipping and practise your technique

The intensity of the exercise should leave your muscles throbbing and sore, if it gets easy, make it harder again

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different bodies respond to different exercise. This one is broken down a lot, so here are some thoughts (in no particular order):
  • I don't know what your sets are like (block set, etc.), nor how intense they are/can be. If they aren't intense, you should almost consider them rest between exercise intervals. If they are moderate, use them to separate more intense exercise. If they are intense, you need short rest periods between them and other intense exercise.
  • Intensity appears to be the key to most improvement. Cardio will improve with moderate (and even lower, if it's bad to start with) exercise. Weight loss, for most people, needs more intensity.
  • For adding muscle mass, you need to put the muscles under direct resistance. In your workout, only the push-ups are doing that much. Maybe buy a set of kettlebells and work in a kettlebell strength routine with your sets?
  • Some folks respond really well to HIIT (high intensity interval training). You could probably turn your workout into this and keep a structure similar to what you have. You can even add strength components into it. For folks whose bodies respond well to HIIT, it tends to give them good results in less time than long, slow workouts (even for strength), and seems to work better for those folks when focused on losing weight. If you try HIIT and find you're not responding (after a few weeks), then go the other way - reduce the intesity a bit and work longer workout periods.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Something like, Monday, a 100 press ups, weds 30 pull ups, Friday a 100 weighted squats, , on the inbetween days do some running A bit of skipping and practise your technique

The intensity of the exercise should leave your muscles throbbing and sore, if it gets easy, make it harder again
To the OP, something to add to Jobo's suggestion: If your body can't do 30 pull-ups in a single set, start by doing it in as many sets as it takes. Just get the 30 done that day. Over time, you'll eventually get to where it all goes in one set (at which point, you need to change the exercise if you want to keep gaining).

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you can bang out 30 real pull ups (not cheats) in a single set then you already need to change it.

Adding more reps might not (probably won't) do the job - add weight, change style - no challenge = no gain.

Make it a challenge and do it to failure (safely) - if you can do 5, try doing 7. If you can do that, keep going.

Push ups - if you can do multiple sets of 10 and not feel it the next day, change it. Do some form of plyo press up.

Same goes for any exercise if gains or increased cardio is the goal.

If you can do something comfortably, then simply doing that will only (at best) leave you where you are.

What are the other days schedule? I can only see one (day 3 apparently) - but you need some variation so you spread the load to allow adequate recovery.

Oh, and that schedule in the image looks like a warmup instead of a workout to me ;) But other people I know couldn't get through it (honestly, without cheating) at all...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes 30 in as short a time as possible, even if you doing sets of one and if it takes 2 or three hours, at first that's fine, try to get it down to few minets

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Different bodies respond to different exercise. This one is broken down a lot, so here are some thoughts (in no particular order):
  • I don't know what your sets are like (block set, etc.), nor how intense they are/can be. If they aren't intense, you should almost consider them rest between exercise intervals. If they are moderate, use them to separate more intense exercise. If they are intense, you need short rest periods between them and other intense exercise.
  • Intensity appears to be the key to most improvement. Cardio will improve with moderate (and even lower, if it's bad to start with) exercise. Weight loss, for most people, needs more intensity.
  • For adding muscle mass, you need to put the muscles under direct resistance. In your workout, only the push-ups are doing that much. Maybe buy a set of kettlebells and work in a kettlebell strength routine with your sets?
  • Some folks respond really well to HIIT (high intensity interval training). You could probably turn your workout into this and keep a structure similar to what you have. You can even add strength components into it. For folks whose bodies respond well to HIIT, it tends to give them good results in less time than long, slow workouts (even for strength), and seems to work better for those folks when focused on losing weight. If you try HIIT and find you're not responding (after a few weeks), then go the other way - reduce the intesity a bit and work longer workout periods.
Blocking set one is basically 24 movements of the same 6 blocks. It's not much use at all for cardio training as if you go full speed you can do it less than a minute. The way that would help with cardio is if you are extremely extremely out of shape

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you guys think this routine can help me reach those specific goals?
You may consider to add in:

1. weight training - body strength, bone density,
2. heavy bag training - kick/punch power, finish tools,
3. running - endurance, stress test,
4. single leg standing - balance,
5. stretching - flexibility,
6. set up - maintain waist line.

It's not important how you may train today. It's important that you will stay on this training program when you are 70 (or even 80) years old.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blocking set one is basically 24 movements of the same 6 blocks. It's not much use at all for cardio training as if you go full speed you can do it less than a minute. The way that would help with cardio is if you are extremely extremely out of shape
Then it would seem a reasonable element to put between HIIT intervals.

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I consider myself to be in ok shape right now. Not really out of shape but not in great shape either. I think only one of my 2 pics uploaded, so that isn't the entirety of what my 6 day routine would entail. Would lifting 5lb weights help much?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I consider myself to be in ok shape right now. Not really out of shape but not in great shape either. I think only one of my 2 pics uploaded, so that isn't the entirety of what my 6 day routine would entail. Would lifting 5lb weights help much?

5lb isn't very heavy for the majority of lifting exercises - depends how you use them and what you want to achieve by using them.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, and see if you can get the other pic up too, or type it out?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
5lbs is really the bottom end of a useful weight to lift, it can certainly be used if you lifting it very slowly with out stretched arms, shoulder raises for instance or very quickly , as long as you end up killing the muscle it's giving benefit,

People are giving Progammes that have worked for them and they will all work for you for a while to some extent. Perhaps some basic rules of thumb to guide you

Intensity , effort is everything to both Fitness ,muscle growth and weight loss, you see lots of people 80% their way through a work out, gains are made not with the 5,10,30 reps you do, but with the extra one you do at the end when your nearly dead, and then the three half reps you do after that

Duration, you can work out long or you can work out hard, you can't do both, people tell you they work out for an hour every day, then you see them and it's ten mins, Actual hard exercise And a lot of not very much to fill the other 50 mins, 10 mins flat out is better than an hour of messing about.

Frequency, if you working with intensity, then you need rest, every good happens when your resting, smash the muscle group and then leave it alone for at least three days, 6 days programmed won't get you to you goal any faster and quite possible slow you down.

The adaptation process takes a couple of days to run it's course and then another day to get full strength back, if you can train again sooner, the first one wasn't hard enough. IE not enough intensity to trigger adaptation.

NB ,rest days don't need to be saT with your feet up, do you technique training, , skipping a bit of running ect, stuff that gets the blood flowing and speeds recovery

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The other issue, is your goals are contradictory, putting on muscle will increase your weight, whilst you are otherwise trying to loose it, leading to you a) getting depressed as all your effort isn't getting much results on the weight front, or cutting your calories to lose more weight, which will effect you muscle growth.

A good programs will ( as a beginner )dependent on all sorts of factors such as age, diet metablism, put some where between half and one pounds of muscle on a month, which is roughly the same as you can expect to lose through a sensible diet and vigorous excersise. Meaning your scales will stay much the same, or even increase your weight. Whilst you are in fact making good gains in both muscle and fat.

The answer is throw the scales in the bin and use a mirror to assess progress, or if your data reliant, measure your Fat loss with calipers and your muscle growth with a tape measure, if your waist fat is getting smallest and your chest Muscle is getting bigger your going in the right direction

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other issue, is your goals are contradictory, putting on muscle will increase your weight, whilst you are otherwise trying to loose it, leading to you a) getting depressed as all your effort isn't getting much results on the weight front, or cutting your calories to lose more weight, which will effect you muscle growth.

A good programs will ( as a beginner )dependent on all sorts of factors such as age, diet metablism, put some where between half and one pounds of muscle on a month, which is roughly the same as you can expect to lose through a sensible diet and vigorous excersise. Meaning your scales will stay much the same, or even increase your weight. Whilst you are in fact making good gains in both muscle and fat.

The answer is throw the scales in the bin and use a mirror to assess progress, or if your data reliant, measure your Fat loss with calipers and your muscle growth with a tape measure, if your waist fat is getting smallest and your chest Muscle is getting bigger your going in the right direction
And I'd add that with muscle growth being a goal, calorie restriction can't be the only dietary consideration. Make sure you're getting a reasonable amount of protein - you need that to grow muscle. No need for supplements - just ensure you're getting enough.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I'd add that with muscle growth being a goal, calorie restriction can't be the only dietary consideration. Make sure you're getting a reasonable amount of protein - you need that to grow muscle. No need for supplements - just ensure you're getting enough.
Agree with that, but it's even more so.

The difference between watching telly and an hours vigorous exercise is about 300 callerie s, or a small chocolate bar, leaving his calerie intake more or less where it is,, 12sessions a month Will burn 3500 callerie s Or apound of fat, if he drops his callerie s drastically, even with a good protein intake, then the vigorous excessive session will start to burn the muscles he is trying to gain , Even if the exceRcise replaces what he has lost, it's still Biting in to his gains

Last edited:

Latest Discussions