Educate me on style differences

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another thing to consider if you have a background in Shotokan is Korean Tang Soo Do, which, despite the protestations of some, seems to be based on Shotokan, and practices similar, and in many cases the same forms.
To the best of my knowledge Tang Soo Do is based on Tae Kwon Do which it evolved from. A Tae Kwon Do instructor started calling his particular version of the art Tang Soo Do and the name stuck and is used for the art of his lineage to this day.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge Tang Soo Do is based on Tae Kwon Do which it evolved from. A Tae Kwon Do instructor started calling his particular version of the art Tang Soo Do and the name stuck and is used for the art of his lineage to this day.
I believe it is the opposite of that. Tang Soo Do was being practiced by name, before Tae Kwon Do was created. What was known as Tang Soo Do was at least part of what became Tae Kwon Do.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is the opposite. I practiced Tang Soo Do for 3 years. It pre dates TKD and is in some ways closer to Karate than is TKD, or at least it was 30 years ago. The colored belt forms, known as the Pinan forms, or Pyonh Ahn forms, and Bassai, or Passai are identical to Shotokan forms.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is the opposite. I practiced Tang Soo Do for 3 years. It pre dates TKD and is in some ways closer to Karate than is TKD, or at least it was 30 years ago. The colored belt forms, known as the Pinan forms, or Pyonh Ahn forms, and Bassai, or Passai are identical to Shotokan forms.

I am looking for a school. I have never taken karate. The Shotokan videos look like the Taekwondo I learn years ago. The Taekwondo videos and schools I have visited do not look like what I was taught. This is very confusing.
Maybe I should try Shotokan karate, what do you think?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am looking for a school. I have never taken karate. The Shotokan videos look like the Taekwondo I learn years ago. The Taekwondo videos and schools I have visited do not look like what I was taught. This is very confusing.

What style of tkd did you do before?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My understanding is that the folks who established the original Tang So Do and then TKD were mostly shotokan students under Funakoshi. So early TKD would have been essentially Shotokan karate. I believe some lineages of TKD have kept to this method.

Later TKD changed a lot under the Kukkiwon and established a specific method for Olympic rules. My understanding is that this changed the method a lot from the early Shotokan-derived method.

So, if you find a TKD school that still adheres to the early method, you may find something similar to the TKD that you did decades ago. Otherwise, training Shotokan karate might be very close to what you had done.

If you find a Kukkiwon school with an Olympic rules focus, that will be different.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sure. Why not? When I looked at schools earlier this year, I was looking for a Tang Soo Do School. Unfortunately, there are only two in my state, and none near me, so I looked at TKD schools, and found one near me. It isn't identical to what I did before, but that is fine.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My understanding is that the folks who established the original Tang So Do and then TKD were mostly shotokan students under Funakoshi. So early TKD would have been essentially Shotokan karate. I believe some lineages of TKD have kept to this method.

Later TKD changed a lot under the Kukkiwon and established a specific method for Olympic rules. My understanding is that this changed the method a lot from the early Shotokan-derived method.

So, if you find a TKD school that still adheres to the early method, you may find something similar to the TKD that you did decades ago. Otherwise, training Shotokan karate might be very close to what you had done.

If you find a Kukkiwon school with an Olympic rules focus, that will be different.

Contrary to seemingly popular belief, there is more tkd than just kkw.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

Thank you explains a lot.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So i'm a Shotokan stylist, and I'm having trouble finding a new shotokan school in my area to continue my training.

The only thing that's close is Shori ryu (Did I spell that right?). I was wonder how similar different is it from Shotokan?

And can someone also explain the differences between Goju and Shotokan? Ty!
Shotokan comes from Shorin Ryu. It is a modified form of Shorin Ryu. Funakoshi Gichin also added kata as shotokan was introduced to the education system. Shorin Ryu uses relaxed transitions from posture to posture to generate power. Shotokan emphasizes more on physical strength, using muscle power. If you want to see this demonstrated, go to youtube and search a shotokan practitioner doing Tekki, and then search for Kishaba juku or Kyudokan Shorin Ryu person doing Naihanchi - same kata as Tekki. This will help you understand the differences I noted.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Another thing to consider if you have a background in Shotokan is Korean Tang Soo Do, which, despite the protestations of some, seems to be based on Shotokan, and practices similar, and in many cases the same forms.
Correct. General Choi trained in Shotokan.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So i'm a Shotokan stylist, and I'm having trouble finding a new shotokan school in my area to continue my training.

The only thing that's close is Shori ryu (Did I spell that right?). I was wonder how similar different is it from Shotokan?

And can someone also explain the differences between Goju and Shotokan? Ty!
Do you mean Shorin Ryu or Shuri Ryu? Did you forget the "n" or is there no "n" on the style near you? There is a difference in the two names.

Shorin Ryu is a modern for arts that came from the cities of Shuri and Tomari, in Okinawa. Shorin is the same word as Shaolin, in the Okinawan dialect.

Shuri Ryu is a modern American eclectic art created by Robert Trias. He used parts of different arts to create his art.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shuri Ryu is a modern American eclectic art created by Robert Trias. He used parts of different arts to create his art.
Do you mean Shorin Ryu or Shuri Ryu? Did you forget the "n" or is there no "n" on the style near you? There is a difference in the two names.

Shorin Ryu is a modern for arts that came from the cities of Shuri and Tomari, in Okinawa. Shorin is the same word as Shaolin, in the Okinawan dialect.

Trias did confuse things by using "Shuri" in the name of his style. I suspect it was a case of him using some Japaneses linguistic gymnastics to hint at his partly Okinawan (shorin-ryu) origins, while distancing him from it to give his style its own identity.

Shorin-ryu karate evolved from the more generic Shuri-te style (named after the town of the same name.) It appears the kanji to write "Shuri," the town, and "shuri," Trias' karate style, are the same from what I saw on the net. However, the kanji for Shuri (the town) means, loosely, "head village," whereas the shuri-ryu karate stylists give it the meaning, "beyond tradition."

A kanji can have different meanings and pronunciations, or maybe they just made it up? Since shuri-ryu is a combination of styles and traditions, their meaning of the kanji certainly makes sense, but seems too coincidental a fit, so I tend to think it a stretch to believe it's a correct reading of the kanji.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Trias did confuse things by using "Shuri" in the name of his style. I suspect it was a case of him using some Japaneses linguistic gymnastics to hint at his partly Okinawan (shorin-ryu) origins, while distancing him from it to give his style its own identity.

Shorin-ryu karate evolved from the more generic Shuri-te style (named after the town of the same name.) It appears the kanji to write "Shuri," the town, and "shuri," Trias' karate style, are the same from what I saw on the net. However, the kanji for Shuri (the town) means, loosely, "head village," whereas the shuri-ryu karate stylists give it the meaning, "beyond tradition."

A kanji can have different meanings and pronunciations, or maybe they just made it up? Since shuri-ryu is a combination of styles and traditions, their meaning of the kanji certainly makes sense, but seems too coincidental a fit, so I tend to think it a stretch to believe it's a correct reading of the kanji.
I actually have not looked at the kanji, which I normally would do. Is it the same?

I just checked it out and it is the same kanji. But the meaning they purport is like you said.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The differences between Goju and Shotokan, at least as I remember them.....

Goju punches a hole in your body, then gives a little "come hither" wave to your friends behind you.

Shotokan punches a hole in your body, then gives the finger to your friends behind you.
:)

Killai

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. Indeed, different styles need to be learned from scratch. Real karate training is possible only with the interaction of a master and a student within the framework of an individual karate training program, created taking into account the physical condition of a beginner fighter, his age, training goals and level of training. My situation is as follows, I am from a small town and there are no karate masters, I had to try learning online here, I did not want to try other martial arts because my spirit belongs to karate.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would second the recommendation for Tang Soo Do. I also took TSD briefly when I went to college and wasn't able to attend my Shotokan dojo, and (outside of terminology) it was pretty much the same exact system, even down to the katas.

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
(If any of this is incorrect, don't be afraid to let me know.)

There are three main schools of Karate: those derived from the acrobatic/long-ranged Northern Kung Fu (Shorin-ryu), those derived from the less-mobile/close-ranged Southern Kung Fu (Shorei-ryu), and those derived from the very springy/ballistic Western Kung Fu (Korean styles).

Shorin-ryu styles include Shotokan, Wado-ryu, and Kyudokan. Their training results in a quick, mobile fighter. Their kata - Kushanku and Gankaku being excellent examples - reflect this, featuring speedy, sometimes acrobatic techniques.

Shorei-ryu styles include Goju-ryu and Uechi-ryu. Their training is intended to harden the individual into a close-ranged fighter. This is apparent in kata such as Sanchin and Seisan, with the movements showing a clear emphasis on close-range, hand-based combat.

Western Kung Fu - particularly Tan Tui - influences Tang Soo Do, Soo Bahk Do, and Tae Kwon Do to be styles that ditch speed in favor of sheer power. The Chilsung/Yukro set of kata exemplify this, although this preference for power is evident in nearly every Korean style; TSD/SBD hyung, as well as ITF and WTF forms, show a clear emphasis on slow, powerful movements. The fact that these styles focus on kicking - which by itself is a slower, more powerful alternative to punching - further reinforces this. These styles also seem to require more flexibility, with ridiculously deep stances and high kicks being part of the training.

If anyone reading this is trying to decide on a style to learn, this is my advice:
-If you are a small, fast person with a high endurance, find a Shorin-ryu school.
-If you are a bigger, stronger person, find a Shorei-ryu school.
-If you are a flexible person, find a Korean school.
-If you are an older person or if you want to practice a more "gentle" martial art purely for health reasons with a very low injury risk, I would specifically recommend Soo Bahk Do, as it isn't as brutal/intensive as the other arts yet features a good blend of hand and foot techniques to keep yourself fit/flexible while also becoming a decent fighter. And it's forms look absolutely beautiful, but that's just my opinion. :)