Ed Parker on change says it all!

T

twinkletoes

I think John makes a good point: eclectic information went in, Kenpo came out. That doesn't necessarily make Kenpo eclectic. Its methods might be better described as varied or multiform.

Rainman,

I disagree with one word of your post only :) It is not alive in the literal sense, and it is not alive in the Thorntonian sense. I will agree that many train it alive, but I do not see this as an inherent quality of Kenpo, as it refers (in the thorntonian sense) to a training methodology that is outside of the curriculum itself. If you can clarify a different meaning of alive, I will accept it.

Robert,

I agree with OFK. Kenpo was radical during its early development, just as the JKD concept was too. Now it is conservative and (in many cases) traditional. (The true JKD idea might still be radical, in the few instances in which you can find it, but I'm digressing).

~TT

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Robert: Got to disagree with you here. Kenpo may have been radical in the 60's, 70's, and maybe even the 80's. Now I'd have to say it is conservative, even traditional.

It all depends on who's teaching the art to determine radical or mundane. It's wayyyy friggin' radical to me,

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
F

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
Robert: Got to disagree with you here. Kenpo may have been radical in the 60's, 70's, and maybe even the 80's. Now I'd have to say it is conservative, even traditional.

In some circles its traditional!!!:D

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Esoteric or eclectic? Ok I understand the arguments there. Alive, well in my humble opinion the system is given life through individuals! The system itself, all by itself in written form is no more than the ramblings of a mad man until you put it into action. Thus giving it life. I think that radical best describes the system for those few that are still truly analyzing the motion and principles within the system for the purpose of greater understanding and progress, whether personal or otherwise. As much as I hate to, I have to somewhat agree with Clyde on that. Oh, how's the cup check from friday night Clyde? Anyway it is obvious that we all (as kenpoists) have our own Idea's about what the kenpo system is and holds within it. The trouble is exspressing it in writing, wich I don't do well.

Have a Nice Day!!! :asian:

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by sumdumguy
Esoteric or eclectic? Ok I understand the arguments there. Alive, well in my humble opinion the system is given life through individuals! The system itself, all by itself in written form is no more than the ramblings of a mad man until you put it into action. Thus giving it life. I think that radical best describes the system for those few that are still truly analyzing the motion and principles within the system for the purpose of greater understanding and progress, whether personal or otherwise. As much as I hate to, I have to somewhat agree with Clyde on that. Oh, how's the cup check from friday night Clyde? Anyway it is obvious that we all (as kenpoists) have our own Idea's about what the kenpo system is and holds within it. The trouble is exspressing it in writing, wich I don't do well.

Have a Nice Day!!! :asian:

Were you there? I didn't even know, you didn't introduce yourself. Oh yea, got a few cup checks Friday nite.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Clyde:

If you take "radical" to mean", "awesome", "exciting", "intriguing", "fun" and "enlightening" then I agree with you.

But I always thought "radical" meant something with rapid sweeping change. Kenpo was radical when Mr. Parker was defining and refining. Now, we are into conserving a tradition. It isn't radical anymore even though it can still be all of the other things in my first paragraph of this post.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Clyde:

If you take "radical" to mean", "awesome", "exciting", "intriguing", "fun" and "enlightening" then I agree with you.

But I always thought "radical" meant something with rapid sweeping change. Kenpo was radical when Mr. Parker was defining and refining. Now, we are into conserving a tradition. It isn't radical anymore even though it can still be all of the other things in my first paragraph of this post.

Main Entry: 1rad·i·cal
Pronunciation: 'ra-di-k&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin radicalis, from Latin radic-, radix root -- more at ROOT
Date: 14th century
1 : of, relating to, or proceeding from a root: as a (1) : of or growing from the root of a plant <radical tubers> (2) : growing from the base of a stem, from a rootlike stem, or from a stem that does not rise above the ground <radical leaves> b : of, relating to, or constituting a linguistic root c : of or relating to a mathematical root d : designed to remove the root of a disease or all diseased tissue <radical surgery>
2 : of or relating to the origin : FUNDAMENTAL
3 a : marked by a considerable departure from the usual or traditional : EXTREME b : tending or disposed to make extreme changes in existing views, habits, conditions, or institutions c : of, relating to, or constituting a political group associated with views, practices, and policies of extreme change d : advocating extreme measures to retain or restore a political state of affairs <the radical right>
4 slang : EXCELLENT, COOL

Hmm, don't know about you but Kenpo is radical to me.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Were you there? I didn't even know, you didn't introduce yourself. Oh yea, got a few cup checks Friday nite.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

No, I was not there. But we have met at the IKC years ago, and I have many friends that were there, Dave Thompson was one. I heard a little about the Friday night work out....

:asian: :asian:

K

Kirk

... in his last fight, "I knocked a guy out with a kick to the head."
Who needs submission? The most gruesome t hing I ever saw
was when Ken Shamrock reverse heelhooked a guy and twisted
his foot the opposite way. He basically just destroyed the guy's
lower leg."

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Mo Smith did the same thing. However, he trained with Frank Shamrock to learn some defensive ground work.

Mike