Dungeons and Dragons

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I'm coming out as a geek here... The other day I was in Borders with my gf, and I commented that I wished I'd kept my old D&D manuals, they'd prolly be worth something these days. This was back when all they had were the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide. Oh, and later on they came out with Oriental Adventures, Deities and Demigods, and Fiend Folio.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth,
That's weird. I had the same books and got out just about the time that the Fiend Folio was out.

Geeks of the world unite!!!!!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Ok, I'm coming out as a geek here... The other day I was in Borders with my gf, and I commented that I wished I'd kept my old D&D manuals, they'd prolly be worth something these days. This was back when all they had were the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide. Oh, and later on they came out with Oriental Adventures, Deities and Demigods, and Fiend Folio.

Remember the days of the Basic Set? Then they came out with the Advanced set...

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't consider it a change of topic...:ultracool
Any yes, the Basic Edition was my first introduction to D&D. In fact, I think the main reason I got into AD&D was because the flimsy manual in the Basic Edition fell apart...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, me neither.

I was the DM for several years...but yes, back when materials were more limited! Still, it seemed like a lot of info. at the time.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm currently in undergrad school (psychology major), so I have a lot of opportunities to play D&D with my friends and classmates (provided we can work around each other's schedules).

We use the current 3rd edition (3.5, to be exact), so it might be a bit different than the versions you guys are used to. I've never had a chance to play the previous editions, or AD&D. There is also a 3rd edition Oriental Adventures. ;)

I didn't know that about the original Oriental Adventures, though. Very, um, interesting information.

So, in the spirit of the thread...

*commits seppuku with a +2 vorpal frisbee*

Laterz.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a Purple Box Basic Set that got me my first fix, and I really enjoyed Legend of the Five Rings before it became the new Oriental Adventures.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anybody remember Keep on the Borderlands? I think it was the adventure module that came with the basic set.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Heretic, I started with 3.0, now playing 3.5. The group I joined has been playing since AD&D. I'm very much a late comer :) I have a few add on books. You can spend a fortune buying manuals. I've also read a few of the Forgotten Realms books. quite good!

MrH

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started AD&D with T1- Village of Hommlet. None of the gaming stores around here carried T2, so I never did get to play it...

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still have several ofthe first edition books. I'm not at home and never use these, naturally, so I'll have to verify exactly which ones I own.

I believe I own the original Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, Oriental Adventures, Monster Manual II, Legends and Lore, and Dungeon Masters Guide. Oddly enough, I don't think I have my Player's Handbook anymore.

For second edition I own the three core books and a lot of those "class" books like "The Complete Fighter's Handbook".

In third edition I only own the three core books. I got tired of buying so many books and found that my game world had come to the point that I didn't need all of those resource books.

I also have the original D&D books (the red book and the green book) stashed away somewhere.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've played D&D, started in the 80's with the red and blue books. Eventually endedup doing AD&D. Have 3rd edition, haven't played it yet though. Temple of Elimental Evil was a favorite. :)

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I ended up giving my books to a friend. I doubt they'd have been worth much, the cover on the Player's Handbook, for example, was falling apart.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son asked for my old books. They play it on occasion, but prefer the Xbox and PlayStation.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think I still have a pale blue d10 and d4 kicking around in my dice collection from the basic set. I've haven't played D&D for 6 years or so, but still have first (missing Oriental Adventures and Deities and Demigods) and second edition books stacked with the rest of my gaming materials.

Lamont

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
My son asked for my old books. They play it on occasion, but prefer the Xbox and PlayStation.
Yeah, I do more PS2 RPG gaming these days. I would like to see Wizards of the Coast support a full-featured D&D based RPG on the PS2. Baldur's Gate and its sequels were ok, but nothing special...
So... who were you favorite characters?
I had an elven thief named Grayshadow and a magic-user named Sixx (what can I say, I was a Crue fan) that I played for years. Eventually I retired them, although I would often bring them back when DMing as the proprietors of The Black Dragon Inn.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son is into Magic: The Gathering so we spend a lot of money on Wizards of the Coasts stuff!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It really bothers me though that everyone (not you guys, just in general) is so quick to grab a joystick instead of playing a traditional RPG. Playing tabletop RPGs allow us to sit down together as friends, look each other in the eyes, and interconnect our imaginations.

We are challenged mentally in ways that a video game could never do and develop a solidarity of friendship. I am dismayed to see how easily we fall into our PC/TV screens and lose out on what I feel is at the heart of true RPGing.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
It really bothers me though that everyone (not you guys, just in general) is so quick to grab a joystick instead of playing a traditional RPG. Playing tabletop RPGs allow us to sit down together as friends, look each other in the eyes, and interconnect our imaginations.

We are challenged mentally in ways that a video game could never do and develop a solidarity of friendship. I am dismayed to see how easily we fall into our PC/TV screens and lose out on what I feel is at the heart of true RPGing.

Indeed! Thats one of the aspects I enjoy... I spend too much time as a hermit, and its nice to meet new guys, get together and have fun as a group :)

MrH

Latest Discussions