Dry Fire and other weapon drawing "arts".

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was putting my time in with my SIRT Pistol last night...

...working on my presentation, the mechanics of grip, target transitions, reloads...etc.

Later on, before bed, I was reading another chapter of Japanese Swordsmanship:Technique and Practice when a thought struck me. What practical difference is there between drawing a sword and drawing a pistol?

Is drawing, cutting and re-sheathing a Katana somehow physically different from drawing a pistol while laterally moving, engaging a target (live or dry), assessing then re-holstering? Isn't the physical/mental/spiritual benefit of a weapon based martial art more about the mental attitude of for lack of a better phrase "perfection of movement and mental clarity"? Couldn't that be accomplished just as easily with a different weapon being drawn from a different container?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the mechanics are specific to the instrument in question -- but a lot of the principles of drawing and bringing it into play are going to overlap. Just like the specifics of a draw from a different holster can require different steps to release the gun. So, could you do a "gun kata" with the same mental focus and so on as someone doing iaido? Absolutely!

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When it comes to mindful practice of movement with a weapon, the weapon itself is really irrelevant isn't it?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whether I am training on drawing my folding knife, firearm, iaito or shinken in iaido, etc, I am working towards efficiency in movement!
The same mindfulness and intent is always utilized!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When it comes to mindful practice of movement with a weapon, the weapon itself is really irrelevant isn't it?

^^ *** THIS!! *** ^^

The weapon itself is largely irrelevant. Look at the Filipino stylists that can flow seamlessly from empty hand, to sticks (impact) to blades (edged). The overall motions are the same.

I remember a time in the training hall when my instructor worked us vigorously on the mat. And after we were all exhausted and dripping with sweat, he had us focus on a complicated kata. To suddenly slow down after being so worked up was quite a challenge. It is one that I've tried to duplicate in some real-world applications, such as doing dry-fire drills or knife practice right after I get off trail, in a state of mental or physical exhaustion.