Dropping life expectancy for women?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://news.msn.com/science-technol...unger-than-their-mothers-and-no-one-knows-why

This is not about 'Obama Care'. It's more serious.

For some Americans, the reality is far worse than the national statistics suggest. In particular, growing health disadvantages have disproportionately impacted women over the past three decades, especially those without a high-school diploma or who live in the South or West. In March, a study published by the University of Wisconsin researchers David Kindig and Erika Cheng found that in nearly half of U.S. counties, female mortality rates actually increased between 1992 and 2006, compared to just 3 percent of counties that saw male mortality increase over the same period.

While it seems that socio-economic background does play a (big) role in this development, the researchers are not sure why it affects women ins such a noticeable way.

Other studies seem to suggest that education, or rather lack there of plays a key role.
“It's unprecedented in American history to see a drop in life expectancy of such magnitude over such a short time period,” said Jay Olshansky, the lead author of the study. “I don't know why it happened so rapidly among this subgroup. Something is different for the lives of poor people today that is worse than it was before.”

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
More women are leading a more "male" lifestyle for lack of a better term then ever before. More are working full time jobs and are now dealing with things that have been killing men for years things like work related stress, poor diets from eating on the go, stuff like that. Add the new "Desire" for woman to serve in combat, and in predominantly male professions like police and fire and the number will keep coming down until it evens out with men.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
More women are leading a more "male" lifestyle for lack of a better term then ever before. More are working full time jobs and are now dealing with things that have been killing men for years things like work related stress, poor diets from eating on the go, stuff like that. Add the new "Desire" for woman to serve in combat, and in predominantly male professions like police and fire and the number will keep coming down until it evens out with men.

Interesting thought.

However, the implied lack of education would keep this particular sub group from joining PDs, FDs and armed forces.

And it does not account for the unique incident in the US. There is something more going on.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it goes deeper than that. Our generation is the first for centuries to be raising children who are likely to have a shorter life expectancy than the parents. Obesity and sedentary lifestyle are high on the 'cause' list but bad diet and stress are way up there too. Our generation was lucky to be the beneficiary of the antibiotic era. That is rapidly coming to and end thanks to the people who saw they could exploit them to increase agricultural production etc. While we are of the mindset, "we don't have to care for our bodies because there is a pill to fix everything", we will be heading for shorter life expectation.
:asian:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting thought.

However, the implied lack of education would keep this particular sub group from joining PDs, FDs and armed forces.

And it does not account for the unique incident in the US. There is something more going on.
Im not sure I agree this generation os less educated. I guess I could be wrong but I know lots of woman my parents age that never finished school. On the flip I dont know many woman my age that didnt finish school. I have no facts or figures to back that up but just how I see things around here.
I agree with Kman as well I think this is also the fattest generation and with all the processed and antibiotics in food that has to take its toll on us. there are so many chemicals in foods today we cant possibly know the effects long term they will have on us.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All true.

but:
why only the women and then in areas that are notorious for poverty?

It's simply fascinating!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All true.

but:
why only the women and then in areas that are notorious for poverty?

It's simply fascinating!
Again Im only guessing but maybe mens #s are already on the lower end due to war and crime #s

Latest Discussions