Driving across America

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, anyone ever done any of these routes? :

http://www.roadtripusa.com/index.html

Me and a friend are thinking about saving up and coming back to America (see, test of a good holiday that, would you go back...we are!) and maybe driving one of these over 2-3 weeks (lot of stops and visiting things on the way).

Route 10 looks good to me, I feel an urge to go back to San Diego and paddle in the Pacific again :)

Ian.

Attachments

• $dcp_0248.jpg
    $dcp_0248.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 143

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are you hoping to see?

Texas is big and flat, you could get tired and fall a sleep there while driving. Not that would mean not taking that route. You could stop and see Dallas/Fort Worth or even go down to the south of Texas.

It could be fun.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ahh, there is more to Route 10 than just the scenery! Go for it! Lots of places to see and things to do! Eastern Texas (at least by the Gulf of Mexico area) is very green and worth stopping to look at the night life. Lousiana is very unique and I like their cuisine! I used to live in Texas. Also, New Mexico (where I grew up) has quite a bit of culture....I love the Southwestern food there.

- Ceicei

T

TheRustyOne

I'd do rt. 5

my parents and i drove from maryland to montana, and our original route was messed up by Sturgis...no place to stay or stop over for at least a 90 mile radius

Oh! route 66! I've wanted to do that for a long time! :D Anyone driven that?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've driven from California to the East Coast, or vice versa, several times, by several routes.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
We've driven from California to the East Coast, or vice versa, several times, by several routes.

Preferences?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did a 5, 9, 4, 7 about five years ago. I stopped at ft. knox to say hi to some freinds but I didn't stop to look at anything. the North dakots Montana area looks like you are driving on mars. I drove through the Grande Canyon in the middle of the night after a Vegas camp, the next night we drove through a Utah national forest in the middle of the night. I have to work on my sight seeing skills.:D
Sean

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not done these routes.

Yet I have done

From Mich:

to Maine

to Ok North East Coast all over

to WV / Virgina

to Florida and most of the points in between

to St. Louis

to Dallas/Fort Worth

to Wisconsin

to London Ont ;) and Toronto

oh and the UP of Mich. (* The locals claim it to be another and totally separate state ;) *)

From Pheonix

to Death Valley Multiple routes.

to Denver Co

to Winter Park Co

From San Deigo

up the coast to San Fran

Up the center of the state to Stockton and then over to San Fran

Just never all the way across or up to down except for the I-75 route to Florida and back.

They look good to me though, it would be a hard decision.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Preferences?

I guess I liked the Southern route that took us from Virginia through the Carolinas to Georgia, then West, stopping in Louisiana and Texas, through Phoenix and then back to California. Driving through Nebraska gets boring pretty quickly.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done every major interstate in the country. It really depends on what type of experience you're after. I-10 is indeed a lot of fun. I-40 is great for seeing the heartland of America. Trouble with my travels was always time. I never had any time to stop and look around. Drove right past the painted desert, grand canyon and lot's of different places trying to get a load delivered on time. Unloaded on one side of Memphis, reloaded on the other side of Memphis and never got time to see Graceland.

T

TheRustyOne

Sorry to hear that.

...and I-95 is nothing but a headache :D

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I-95 was designed by Satan himself. D.C., Baltimore, Philly. No other interstate in the country has so many big city rush hours to deal with. It's one of the best tests of patience you'll ever find.

T

TheRustyOne

Originally posted by theletch1
I-95 was designed by Satan himself. D.C., Baltimore, Philly. No other interstate in the country has so many big city rush hours to deal with. It's one of the best tests of patience you'll ever find.

And I drive from baltimore beltloop on north to almost delaware.

Also, if you wanna drive I-95 anywhere, invest in an EZ-PASS, or we'll rob you blind! I know MD just jacked tolls up a dollar in Baltimore and over the Susquehanna River.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, if you wanna drive I-95 anywhere, invest in an EZ-PASS, or we'll rob you blind! I know MD just jacked tolls up a dollar in Baltimore and over the Susquehanna River.
My company gave me one of those for my truck for the WVa turnpike. It's $4.25 per toll on I-77 and $1.00 per to get off and back on. For me that works out to close on to $50 per week. EZ Pass is most definetly a good thing. 'Course the price of some of the toll bridges around NYC would choke EZ Pass. I think the GW is up to around $35.00 a pop for trucks.

T

TheRustyOne

Originally posted by theletch1
My company gave me one of those for my truck for the WVa turnpike. It's $4.25 per toll on I-77 and $1.00 per to get off and back on. For me that works out to close on to $50 per week. EZ Pass is most definetly a good thing. 'Course the price of some of the toll bridges around NYC would choke EZ Pass. I think the GW is up to around $35.00 a pop for trucks.

Yikes!

T

TonyM.

I can understand a $35.00 toll for trucks. So many of them are overweight that they've grooved the asphalt up to eight inches deep in places. Dangerous in my SUV. Couldn't imagine hitting them in a small sedan.
Did the Appalacian trail in '77. lot of fun. I'd recommend it to anyone.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have driven acroos the states on 40, 50 and 66
All have the advantages in what you see and do
I think any RT. across this nation is worth the trip if you get of the road once in a while and enjoy the country side

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it's been very educational for the kids--not just the big stops (Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone Natl. Park, etc.), or the cities we've satyed in, but just the experiene of slowly watching the countryside change and experiencing the different regions of the U.S. (geographic regions in both the physical and cultural senses).

We also did a loop once startin near NYC, up through Vermont to Montreal, and back through Canada's Atlantic provinces, then through Maine, NH, Mass., and home. Car trouble stranded us in Maine for what turned out to be a very fun few days depite our lack of a car, and we spent the 4th of July in a small town in NH that had an old-fashioned small-town celebration. It was pretty neat.

Latest Discussions