Dream people to train with

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say Steven Seagal, Masaaki Hatsumi, & Tanemura. I find that Seagal was attractive in his younger years (1980's-1990's). I've watched him since I was little, thanks to my grandmother also having a crush on the guy. [emoji23]

Besides his good looks when he was younger, he's legitimate, which one can really respect.

If Bruce Lee were still alive, he would be my first pick, because I admire him a lot; from his wisdom to his dedication; it was other-worldly, fascinating human being.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who's the one person you'd love to train with most who you haven't done so already

Personally I've done a lot of reading lately and I'd have loved to train with Joe Lewis. From what I've read he seems to have a lot of the same opinions on subjects as I do. He seems like a no nonsense type of guy who believes in the traditional values while also having a very modern approach to training and working out. I also like his fighting style and his use of the side kick which is my favourite kick and in my opinion a very underrated kick.
I trained with Joe Lewis once. He was good. I also trained with Royler Gracie when he had a seminar. I want to train with him more if and when he has more seminars.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who's the one person you'd love to train with most who you haven't done so already

Personally I've done a lot of reading lately and I'd have loved to train with Joe Lewis. From what I've read he seems to have a lot of the same opinions on subjects as I do. He seems like a no nonsense type of guy who believes in the traditional values while also having a very modern approach to training and working out. I also like his fighting style and his use of the side kick which is my favourite kick and in my opinion a very underrated kick.

If I could train with anybody, living or dead, it would be hands down Bruce Lee.

Unfortunately I take it the purpose of your thread is to mention a living person who one would want to train with. I have trained with Joe Lewis a couple of times down in Wilmington in NC. Wilmington is near the shore and about 2 hours from Raleigh. He is really good. I've also trained with Royler Gracie when he had a seminar at my Jiu Jitsu school. He's also really good.

As for what living person I would want to train with the most right now that I haven't already I would say Rickson Gracie. In the martial arts Im primarily a striker most of my training over the many years I've been in the martial arts has been striking based. Therefore I've been wanting to work more on developing a good grappling background as well so I would want to train with a world class grappler so it would be Rickson. I've never been able to train with Rickson but my Jiu Jitsu instructor has worked with him.

As for your remark about the side kick, I don't think its an underrated kick at all. Lots of people like it and its got tons of power.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If we’re talking about living people and it’s possible to join their dojo, ie somewhat locally and not a seminar...

Jason Morris has a Judo club about 45 minutes away from me. He’s a 3x Olympian, 1x silver medalist, a ton of international success as a Judoka and coach, and has coached numerous Olympic teams.

Too many responsibilities in my life to get to his dojo consistently though. And I love my dojo.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, thinking about this, there are a few people I have meant here on MT I would enjoy training with and two of those I have been lucky enough to meet in person. But did not have time to train at that time...hopefully next time.

Latest Discussions