arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Stick drill commentary
* grip on stick looks loose
* blocking hand has fingers spread apart
* stances are poor by FMA/Kenpo standards, if modified slightly would be good for fencing.
Referring to the Soke___GJ_Stick_Drills.MPG file, here's what I see from an FMA viewpoint: The stances are probably OK given that this is a drill. What I do not notice is that there's a lot of side-to-side body motion, esp. by Mr. Calkins, that isn't really backing up the motion of the strike and so is probably wasted. There's a fair amount of hitting with the flat of the stick, esp. by the student, who does indeed have a poor grip. Those sticks would fly out of his hands if hit hard. Some of the motions leading to the strikes go very wide, esp. by Mr. Calkins. A lot of the strikes are snappy, wrist-strikes rather than strikes with the whole arm (or better yet, body)--this is the thing that really leaps out at me, along with the body motion not aligning with the strikes.

It may be Kenpo sticks, but it's very different from what I think of as FMA stickwork. It doesn't seem to me that it could be effective. BUT, it's hard to tell from a video and so I don't want to draw too strong of a conclusion!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Referring now to the Kenpo_5_line___Soke.MPG file, is it designed for stick against empty hand? The stances do seem forward-weighted, but more to the point, the live (empty) hand keeps coming forward where it would surely get hit if the opponent had a stick, and the twirling without a firm, closed grip on the stick is always a risky move in an actual situation.

The mid-level backhand (Modern Arnis #4) strike seems abbrieviated? Hard to tell, but is the mid-level forehand (Modern Arnis #3) strike switching from palm-up to palm-down when the strike hits, or afterward?

From an FMA point of view, I'd find a number of deficiencies in these techniques. BUT, again, it's hard to tell on video, and it may well be appropriate Kenpo stickwork--I'm not familiar with that.

Can a Kenpoist who is knowledgeable about their stick traditions comment?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Allthough the style of Kenpo that I do does not have a "stick form" GM Jordan has trained in some stick arts.

The Calkins video looks like a guy with really minimal training swinging a stick around

R

rupton

Aegis said:
However, I will not attack unrealistically either. I aim my punches for approximately 4 inches behing my partner's nose, and I throw some real weight behind the attacks. If they fail to avoid it, I will pull the attack if I can, but if they get hit then they can learn what being hit can feel like, and they also learn about blocking and dodging much faster
Amen, I can't tell you the number of times I was hit like that trying a new technique. It may sound silly but I've always been grateful for all the knocks. It keeps it real so to speak. I've also been grateful all the times I've tried a new hold or lock and my Uke walked out of it showing me the error of my ways, or executed a good counter attack instead of acting like I was putting the requisite hurting on them ;-) I get a lot of flack for being un PC on this point but I feel as though everyone should learn what being hit feels like(whithin reason of course).

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I sat down with a friend who is a kenpo instructor. She never heard of Kenpo 5 line stick drill. This doesn't mean much though as the curiculum at the IBBA has evolved over the years and may no longer be a part of the current mix.
The angles he demonstrates are "cinco teros." Pretty common drilling sequence in FMA. Granted it could be that the same exact sequence existed in kenpo all along. But if I had to guess, I'd say it was lifted from FMA. (Nothing wrong with that, mind you. But being open about it is a virtue.)

Stuart

W

whoyou23

I would LOVE to see you guys meet. Make sure you post when this will happen so we can all get some enjoyment out of you showing Bruce the real deal instead of the crap he shovels on this forum!!!

Broken back and surgery??? must be he can't teach his students due to this affliction,but can ride his trike around all summer long!!!!

Latest Discussions