Double Fan Form

T

Tachi

I have been told that, when you are doing a classical double fan form, you are supposed to use both a right-handed and a left-handed fan. Does anyone have any information on this? Also, if this is the case, where do you get a left-handed fan?

Thanks in advance....:asian:

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Fans have handedness? I thought fans were all made the same way. I didn't even know there were right and left handed forms of fans.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I have never heard of a left handed fan before but it makes sense it you want it to have a design that faces out and the blades facing you.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, I can see how this would affect one-handed opening of the fans. From what I'm thinking, a right-handed fan would open by moving your thumb from your pinky to your index finger. If you put that same fan in your left hand, it wouldn't work. So, you'd need a left-handed fan.

Cthulhu

OP
T

tonbo

Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate your feedback. So far, I've only worked on single fan forms, but wanted to look into the double fan forms as well.

BTW -
Do any of you know a good supplier for decent martial arts fans?

Thanks again -

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate your feedback. So far, I've only worked on single fan forms, but wanted to look into the double fan forms as well.

BTW -
Do any of you know a good supplier for decent martial arts fans?

Thanks again -

Try this out:
http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page6.html

They're Japanese, but they still may meet your needs. Veerrrrry expensive, though.

Cthulhu

OP
T

Tachi

Yeah, those are kinda pricey, but finding a decent fan is always kind of hard to do. The "no frills" plain white fan may actually work for what I am doing.

Once again, thanks for the response and the link!!

:asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tachi

Yeah, those are kinda pricey, but finding a decent fan is always kind of hard to do. The "no frills" plain white fan may actually work for what I am doing.

Once again, thanks for the response and the link!!

:asian:

No problem. This is one of the reasons why this board exists!

Cthulhu

OP
T

Tachi

Just an update...fans DO have handedness. This came about for women when they did the fan dancing and stayed primarily for women in martial applications since they could blend in as part of an entourage as dancers. Fans needed to be able to open so the silk and design would mask the spines, and a regular one-handed fan - usually for the right hand- opens with spines showing when used by the left hand.

To verify, I checked with Wing Lam Enterprises - they do sell fans in pairs to accommodate both hands.

Tachi

Latest Discussions