Don't tell them you know martial arts

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what happened to the, "I don't want to fight with you, I should warn you I have a 'black belt".

In a statement once I had to say that I did not give the guy permission to fight me.

If you were going with some sort of pre fight declaration. I would work along those lines.

Otherwise you could open up ideas like " your honour he informed me he was a black belt and so I feared for my life"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes they did and they imprisoned a good man. Murph taught me everything I know about bouncing.

So murphs method landed him in jail. And from all he taught you you did not learn that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're ever involved in a physical altercation self defense situation and it goes to court, don't tell them or let them know in any way, shape, or form if you've got any background in the martial arts. It will probably work against you in court.

It's fine, just as long as you also tell them that your hands are Registered as Lethal Weapons.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who "wins" legal cases? The better attorney.

Think Johnny Cochrane vs Marcia Clark.

It doesn't matter who was right; only who's more convincing. In self defense cases, both parties most often have some guilt; it's about who is less guilty.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what happened to the, "I don't want to fight with you, I should warn you I have a 'black belt".

Too many people got the crap beat out of them after using that line. Reminds me of Eddie Murphy in Trading Places when he's in jail.

I once heard a guy tell another guy "I'm an Navy SEAL; I'm trained to kill people with my bare hands" outside of a bar at the start of a fight. Their was only one punch thrown - a pretty weak and pathetic one that knocked the "SEAL" out cold. The crowd laughed and walked away.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Say what you will of me, but don't speak ill of Murph. He looked out for me, trained me, in many ways he was like a father to me. My real father was a nebbish intellectual and was very disappointed in me for not following in his footsteps. But book learning was not for me. I chose another way, the way of the warrior.

Murph saw something in me and took me under his wing. He showed me the best way to de escalate a situation was to knock out the guy causing it. Sadly, Murph passed away a few years ago. But, each time I knock out some drunk punk with one hit, I know he's looking down on me from Heaven, smiling.
Don't speak Ill of murph. Ha ha ha ha you owe me a new keyboard I spilled my drink laughing so hard at this post. Thanks I needed a good laugh

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Mad_Dog why don't you tell us jurisdiction, county, prosecutor so we can read up on the case. Should be very easy to find with a quick public records search?

Mad_Dog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What is this, some kind of Guantanimo Bay enhanced interrogation?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The truth is, every guy thinks they know something that gives them the advantage; so, the act of omitting what you think you know will look bad. What's in your, "Wallet"? :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mad_Dog, your friend was arrested, tried and is in prison. I would be curious to read the court documents to
find out what happened?

Mad_Dog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mad_Dog, your friend was arrested, tried and is in prison. I would be curious to read the court documents to
find out what happened?
He was arrested, tried and imprisoned years before I even met him. He simply related the experience to me. He didn't give specific court details, nor did I ask. Now he's up there bouncing in the big saloon in the sky, no doubt laying the smack down on rowdy, drunken souls.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay shoot me a name, county here so I can check up on the story. I am interested in the court report to see what actually happened.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's the thing, the government has no business knowing if you've got a martial arts background.

BMhadoken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here's the thing, the government has no business knowing if you've got a martial arts background.
Here's the other thing. When you're sitting in the defendant's chair, your private life stops being private, and for good reason.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what. This thread just highlights why some of us just never escape the public view, that we are all twats who are basically going to sledge someone just because they did not look at the shoes. Yeah even door staff these days are still expected to be able to mix it, the ultimate being the code Black, but gone are the days when you can even intimidate. I know because I had a few occasions where I had a few chaps with the coppers on duty for seemingly intimidating with a intent to strike. Completely far from the truth. I walk them out I don't batter them. Can't even do that anyway even in defence. At the end of the day, many bouncers did not learn, some did. Why, because they got thier SIA badges. The answer is many reasons, the most pertinent being some learned.

I came to late for the good old days, I got my Westminster badge six months before the SIA came in. Did a few doors though before that, and I had the privilege to work with some real decent blokes, and women, and that continued. Now I am an ex doorman, probably considered otherwise by some peoples definition. Don't get me wrong, the only problem I have with it all, is just the mindless thugs whom simply beat up on people because they liked it. They want that, they do it the ring was my answer. Sorry I waffling again.

The point being that when on shift at The Font (formally The Font and Firkin) I started to chat with a gentlemen wearing clothes that did not just fit. He wore a full length overcoat (think it was leather) but the midriff was off. He noticed this and came for a chat. It transpired that he was a doorman from London. And he said to me (words to this effect) Son, just walk them out. If they are stupid enough to resist, then what's necessary. But above all walk them out. Thankfully I was (I should say) blessed with that ability to do so. Sorry but some of the posts have just irksome. Beating the crap out of someone just because you are a bouncer is lovely stupid and completely moronic.

Latest Discussions