"Don't run with scissors ..."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fascinating - folder or fixed? Fixed, I assume ....
You assumed correctly and without making either of us look like an *** :D

Good choice, running. :asian:
Yeah well, I thought so too at the time. Even had the presence of mind to run in a zig-zag pattern so he couldn't draw a bead on me. Funny how the mind works under stress.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in addition to some other curious rules of movement that i have come to place upon myself, one of the things i take great care of is not to point swords blades or almost any sort of pointy thing at another person.
there is no fixed reason for this. basically, it symbolizes great care and respect for the other. secondly, pointing a sword at someone may be something bad or maybe good. and because i cannot be sure i avoid it. if i feel like i am ready to influence something for the better as training or exchange, then i am free to do whatever to communicate my understanding as best i can.
it takes great care and skill to be so careful all the time. sometimes, one cannot avoid or control so one needs to be flexible and read things intuitively not necessarily superstitiously.

j

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
in addition to some other curious rules of movement that i have come to place upon myself, one of the things i take great care of is not to point swords blades or almost any sort of pointy thing at another person.
there is no fixed reason for this. basically, it symbolizes great care and respect for the other. secondly, pointing a sword at someone may be something bad or maybe good. and because i cannot be sure i avoid it. if i feel like i am ready to influence something for the better as training or exchange, then i am free to do whatever to communicate my understanding as best i can.
it takes great care and skill to be so careful all the time. sometimes, one cannot avoid or control so one needs to be flexible and read things intuitively not necessarily superstitiously.
j
Well, it's the same care and thought you give to a loaded gun.
Back in the day it was a call to fight if you unsheathed your bladed weapon during a heated argument or for no particular reason. I reckon it's still that way.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't necessarily have to be running with your knife to fall down.

Yeah, but this is pretty well covered by the basic rule of keeping the sharp end pointed at your opponent to discourage him from coming in on you while you're disadvantaged. It's a fairly instinctive reaction to keep that knife away from you.

So I wonder about the efficacy of resheathing before you politely bow and excuse yourself before running; you're more likely, I think, to turn and RUN ... whether your knife is out or not.

Running is a great option, but turning your back may not be if he has a knife--at least, not until you have some distance. Remember, even if he isn't close enough to lunge and stab, some people will throw the knife and!

Closing/sheathing it first may not work or may not be advisable. I'd likely scoot back, facing my opponent, until I could be sure running was viable. Depending on many things I might not refold/resheath, in which case I'd hold it back along the forearm to avoid ripping open my own side (yes, this happens).

Latest Discussions