Don't Let It Get To You

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think its a good idea to not let what people say on forums such as this one get to you. I know, I can have a problem with that too but people can be so reactionary sometimes to posts that they read and its a bit silly if you ask me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think its a good idea to not let what people say on forums such as this one get to you. I know, I can have a problem with that too but people can be so reactionary sometimes to posts that they read and its a bit silly if you ask me.

WHAT!!!!! how DARE YOU!!!!!

The NERVE of some people...calling other silly

you have NO RIGHT to tell ME what to do!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't Let It Get To You

It' easy to say. It's hard to do.

Assume you are in a Judo forum. When someone said something as below, will you still have the courage to stay in that forum?

A: You are not even a Judo guy. Nobody in this forum care about your opinion. Why are you still hang around here?
B: ...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't Let It Get To You

Assume you are in a Judo forum. When someone said something as below, will you still have the courage to stay in that forum?

A: You are not even a Judo guy. Nobody in this forum care about your opinion. Why are you still hang around here?

The ones that get me are the ones where someone will take what I don't say, make assumptions on why I'm not saying it, and then ridicule me on the words they're putting into my mouth.

I used this example in another thread:
"It is important when you punch to have a tight fist."
"If all you care about is the fist, then your punch will be weak, because you're not using your hips properly. If your school teaches this way it must be a McDojo. This is what's wrong with Martial Arts today..."

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't Let It Get To You

Actually you're right, if I was in a judo forum it would be super awkward. Especially as I don't do judo!

Nevertheless, I should still probably attempt to tell them how things should be done though... right? :D

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't Let It Get To You

Guy A has a pretty good point. That guy probably shouldn't be there, or at least not offering an opinion on judo things. He can hang out in the locker room if he just likes the atmosphere though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy A has a pretty good point. That guy probably shouldn't be there, or at least not offering an opinion on judo things. He can hang out in the locker room if he just likes the atmosphere though.
In my opinion, that depends upon what "judo things" are under discussion. If they're talking about the reasons why most Judo classes no longer include strikes, and whether that's good or not, it doesn't take a Judoka to add useful input or to have an opinion. And if they're discussing a technique that exists in the art that person trains in, they can probably have good input and questions. As long as they understand the issue, they can probably participate in some meaningful way. Whether the Judokai are bothered by an outsider discussing their art is mostly on them.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me, it depends on two things:

1. Is the discussion specific to the art?
  2. Is the "get out" more of "thanks, but that's not what I'm asking" or "you're not part of my fraternity so I hate you"?
For example, if I'm asking for advice on a throw and I get someone who has training in a different art that might shed new light on the throw, that's one thing. If I'm asking for advice on doing a throw in a competition and someone suggests I kick the groin and gouge the eyes, that's another.

And if I'm asking the competition bit, and get told to poke out the eyes, I might suggest the person leave the thread as their advice is not applicable.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion, that depends upon what "judo things" are under discussion. If they're talking about the reasons why most Judo classes no longer include strikes, and whether that's good or not, it doesn't take a Judoka to add useful input or to have an opinion. And if they're discussing a technique that exists in the art that person trains in, they can probably have good input and questions. As long as they understand the issue, they can probably participate in some meaningful way. Whether the Judokai are bothered by an outsider discussing their art is mostly on them.
I agree, if it's a forum like this, where judo is a subforum, or you have experience in another grappling art. But if you go to a judo-specific forum, with no grappling experience, you're probably in the wrong place. It's like the guys who come on here, never having tried a martial art, telling us all what we're doing wrong. Yeah they can, but it's probably not helping anyone.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the problems is that readers often interpret what is written very differently from how the writer does. Often someone will answer a post with 'don't get so angry/upset' when the writer is far from being angry or upset. There are also the ones who don't actually read what is written but jump at certain words and make their own sentences up so get upset.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, if it's a forum like this, where judo is a subforum, or you have experience in another grappling art. But if you go to a judo-specific forum, with no grappling experience, you're probably in the wrong place. It's like the guys who come on here, never having tried a martial art, telling us all what we're doing wrong. Yeah they can, but it's probably not helping anyone.
Agreed. But the salient point isn't what kind of forum, but rather whether there's any applicable experience/knowledge to bring to the discussion at hand. There are things I could discuss on a Judo forum with knowledge not from Judo. I'd have to stay out of some discussions, except as a seeker of information (asking about rules, rather than trying to explain them, for instance).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are things I could discuss on a Judo forum with knowledge not from Judo.
I still remember the discussion started from when someone asked this question: "What Judo throw will you call it?"

In Chinese wrestling, this throw is called "手别 (Shou Bie) - hand block". When a non-Judo guy gets involved with throwing skill discussion, it may upset some Judo guys big time.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still remember the discussion started from when someone asked this question: "What Judo throw will you call it?"

In Chinese wrestling, this throw is called "手别 (Shou Bie) - hand block". When a non-Judo guy gets involved with throwing skill discussion, it may upset some Judo guys big time.

Well, if the question is "Which Judo throw is it?" then any answer that's not a Judo throw is not addressing the question. So, if I say it's an application of the NGA Leg Sweep, that's not going to be appreciated.

Now, if the question is about why a Judo osoto gari didn't work in a given situation (in a video), I can give a response to that (since that's basically the same as the base of NGA's Leg Sweep), discussing the mechanics and structure. And most Judo folks won't have a problem with it, because I'm not talking about something from NGA - I'm discussing the question they asked.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think if the question is any of the following, then it's best to be given by an in-house guy:
  1. Why does Judo train this way?
  2. What is the name of this technique in Judo?
  3. Why doesn't Judo do this?
  4. What is the history of this aspect of Judo?
  5. How has politics affected this aspect of Judo?
Without being part of the system, I really wouldn't know how to answer those questions. However, if the question is:
  1. How can I execute this throw?
  2. I have no leverage here, what am I doing wrong?
  3. If I try this throw, can't my opponent just do this?
  4. Is there any way I can improve this technique?
  5. What sort of out-of-class conditioning should I do to improve my judo skills?
  6. What's the pros and cons of these types of techniques?
In these cases, I can answer with outsider information, if my art has similar techniques I can apply from.

As a hapkidoist, I couldn't tell you the history of Judo or the names of the techniques (heck, I don't even know their names in Hapkido). But I can tell you how to get leverage by rolling the wrist or using your footwork.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
  1. Why does Judo train this way?
  2. What is the name of this technique in Judo?
  3. Why doesn't Judo do this?
  4. What is the history of this aspect of Judo?
  5. How has politics affected this aspect of Judo?
If you are not a Judo guy, you won't be interested in those discussions.

For example, I know nothing about Krav-Maga. I will never get involved with Krav-Maga discussion.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are not a Judo guy, you won't be interested in those discussions.

For example, I know nothing about Krav-Maga. I will never get involved with Krav-Maga discussion.

But other people on this forum do get involved in those discussions.

I was in one where I was trying to figure out the purpose of something within the Taekwondo curriculum. I had a Karate guy come in, use Japanese terminology to describe what I was "supposed" to be doing according to the Karate curriculum, and couldn't figure out why I didn't find his answers helpful for why Taekwondo does it this way. (And of course I'm a fool for not taking his advice).

You are not this way, KFW. But that doesn't mean there aren't people on this site that are.

Latest Discussions