Dogs. I have a dog, do you?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw this article about Peru offering the Obama family a dog and wondered, how many of you have dogs.
We always had dogs when I was growing up, usually German Shepherds. These days I have a Queensland Heeler, he is the fetchingest damn dog I have ever seen. He is ferociously protective, but, I am afraid of the burglar smart enough to ask "Where's the ball?" because at that point, I'd lose everything except the dog and the ball...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just for the record, that Peruvian beast is the ugliest dog I have ever seen.

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
One dog and two cats, but one of the cats thinks he's a dog.

The dog is a border collie-corgie mix which means he is a good size dog with legs half the normal size for his body.

The orange cat comes when you call him, greets you at the front door, and is generally dog-like.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
One Pomeranian, three pugs, and a ginger cat who thinks he's a pug. He lies down the the pugs, all of whom are elders, and grooms them each night.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shepherd/Rotty mix that came with the wife. (Don't tell her -- but I may have married her just to get the dog! ;) ) Only thing is... he thinks that, number 1, people exist solely to pet and feed him, and number 2, that he's a lap dog. A 98 pound lap dog is NOT something you want to deal with!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a German Shorthaired Pointer. She gets real jealous of the kids when they sit on my lap. She try to get between us and push them away. She does even does it with my Thinkpad. She does make for a good place to me to set my book when I'm reading though. I thought she was the largest lap dog, but she weighs less than 98 pounds. Oh well, maybe she is the second largest lap dog. ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I rescued a Shepherd/Husky mix. He's tan like a Shep., his face looks Husky and he has those baby blue eyes. He's our 'son' and he is the best dog I've ever had. And yes, he struts around like the king too. LOL! We spoil him, but he's worth it. :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a kid growing up we had dogs. A 215 lb St. Bernard that was murdered by unknowns for reasons unknown. A Samoyed. Boston Terriers and a Boston Terrier Heinz 57 mixed mix.
Right now I wouldn't mind a dog but I would definitely endeavor to train it well for behavior and functional purposes as well as a companion.
I also like cats and have had a couple of long haired variety... one was all white and the other pure black (no white anywhere).

Honestly, I've always wanted to have a member of the weasel family... namely a striped skunk (descented of course :rolleyes: )... I knew a lady that had two and they were awesome pets.

bostonbomber

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One pug. Love them, they are small dogs with the behavior of a sweet big dog. They're really robust too, built like a miniature ox!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One 105 lb labrador who, at two years old, is still acting like a puppy.

Do they ever grow out of this?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got a Siberian Husky by the name of Sky. Got him from a rescue organization and he's the greatest dog I've ever had. Too smart for his own good, young at heart and always ready to play. I love to hook him up to my bike and have him take me for a run.

One time I did this when there was on eof those police radar signs that tell you hyow fats you're going. I let him pull me (235lbs) all out and we hit 21 miles an hour at a flat out sprint :)

Peace,
Erik

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a Lab mutt from a shelter - he looks like someone took a Golden Retriever and dipped it in black dye - but I'm really not sure what he's mixed with.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We've got a spaniel/lab mix (by Google, called a "Spanador", which sounds quite mighty to me). She's almost 2 years old, loves to play, can run for miles and miles, and is great with the kids. A guard dog she's not, though she will bark once or twice if someone's at the door.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One cat and two dogs. Except the cat thinks he is a dog or is it that the dogs think they are cats? Not sure really.

One dog is 10 he is a lhaso apso crossed with a shitzu his name is Walter, we rescued him from a shelter my daughter was volunteering at when he was 7. He is a sweety.

Then we have a bug. His name is bug. He is a boston terrier pug cross, hence the name. Plus he has buggy eyes and well..he is a bug, always bugging you to play. He is 2 and a real sweetie.

newy085

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Got a Lab x Golden Retriever, and a Lab x English Pointer. Ones pure white and the other pure black, they look good together. There are really well trained, to the point I don't use a lead to walk them anymore.

Only problem the destroy anything they get their mouth around. Had a steel rake that I left out of the shed. Got home and it was mangled I think they actually ate some of it).

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a yellow lab, Marley, who I love like a child. :) Here is a picure of My wife, Marley and me at a FIDELCO walk.

picture.php

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I voted for Obama. and hope he at least gets the benefit of the doubt.... but he is not getting Coal, my Black Lab. Sorry, but he'll have to make due with the Peruvian creature.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
HK phooey,

Hmmmm, maybe you're a fan of "Marley and Me"?

I never read the book but I can't wait for the movie this Xmas. Now that I'm in the club of lab owners I will be able to relate!

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is this guy that comes into the store where I work about twice a week. He trains seeing eye dogs. Everytime he comes in wearing a different colored vest, and the dog is attired to match.

Latest Discussions