Does your Sifu approve of you posting here?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does your Sifu approve of you posting here?

A: Does your mom give you the permission to talk to strangers?
B: Goo Goo Gaga :)

kid.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know more than others here about your situation, and that's really the only conclusion I've been able to come to.
I learned some more stuff about that situation and I'm just really proud that I didn't compromise my values.. By the way I got a few videos coming soon. I finally learned how to use the video editing softwareware. I can add lower thirds now. I'll upload them when I get back home. I'm currently in Michigan.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned some more stuff about that situation and I'm just really proud that I didn't compromise my values.. By the way I got a few videos coming soon. I finally learned how to use the video editing softwareware. I can add lower thirds now. I'll upload them when I get back home. I'm currently in Michigan.
Sweet. I need to find a space where I can do some new videos. No room in my office at home for more than standing still.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know I've mentioned this before about your old school, but screw em. And if I lived near you, I would be at your door in a second looking to learn from you
Thanks that says a lot. my First Jow Ga Sifu told me to open a gym. Lots of support. It was just one bad experience and not representation of Jow Ga as a whole. I know it's sometimes difficult not to paint with a 40 foot wide brush.

I'll create a free lesson or introduction for you guys.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if he approves or not, but he doesn't try to control me that way. I know that I am responsible and accountable for how I represent him and others in our lineage and if I went off the rails to the point it warranted their attention, I'd have to answer for that.

Also, we treat what we do as inherently private. Not secret, but private. There is a subtle, but important difference.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also, we treat what we do as inherently private. Not secret, but private. There is a subtle, but important difference.
Sometime secret is more than private. When my teacher was still alive, he didn't want me to talk about "How to counter a circular arm dragging". He said that the secret is just like a piece of thin paper. When that paper is there, it may takes years for your opponent to figure it out. If you poke a hole, everybody can see through.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometime secret is more than private. When my teacher was still alive, he didn't want me to talk about "How to counter a circular arm dragging". He said that the secret is just like a piece of thin paper. When that paper is there, it may takes years for your opponent to figure it out. If you poke a hole, everybody can see through.
You have a background in computing, right? You should know that security through obscurity is not the most robust approach.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have a background in computing, right? You should know that security through obscurity is not the most robust approach.
In Taiwan, Judo guys compete in Shuai Chiao tournament and SC guys compete in Judo tournament. When a SC guy grabs on his Judo opponent's cross lapel and runs in circle, his Judo opponent is not familiar with that strategy. This gives SC guys a lot of advantage. Soon Judo guys in Taiwan find a defense method. They would use their own left hand to hold on their own right lapel. This way their opponent have no place to grab on the cross lapel.

For many years, the cross lapel circular dragging gave Judo guys big problem. It sounds funny but it did happen.

In Taiwan, the SC guys and Judo guys are not friendly to each other. Both sides try to hide their secrets as much as they can from the other. The counter to "circular dragging" is considered as "secret" in Taiwan by all SC guys. Any SC guy talks about that counter in Taiwan will get into trouble from his teacher big time.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In terms of martial arts there's a big leap between KNOWING and DOING. The best example would be the "oblique kick" in MMA. as effective as it is, we just don't see many MMA fighters use it. There's no secret to it. We see it clear as day, yet. That gap between KNOWING and DOING is really huge. This is one reason I don't worry about people "stealing" what I know or "beating my techniques." There will only be a small few who would even take the time to train to use it or analyze it so they can beat it.

Even if they get a glimpse on how to beat it, all I would have to do is switch things up, add it to a combo, and I'm good to go.

Reactions: KPM

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
there's a big leap between KNOWING and DOING.
When something happen to you, you may only have 1/2 second to react. Your reaction always depend on your daily training. If something that you have never trained daily, you will not be able to react properly in that 1/2 second.

IMO, secret is something that you have added into your daily training and not just something in your head.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
security through obscurity is not the most robust approach.
The "secret" is like a piece of thin paper. If you poke it open, it's so easy to understand.

When your opponent drags your arm and runs in circle, if you resist, your opponent can borrow your resistance force, and take you down backward.

if you yield, your opponent can borrow your yielding force, and take you down forward.

The only solution is to "interrupt" your opponent's dragging and cut in front of him. This way, you can take the control back.

The issue is, without adding this into your daily training, how many people can figure this out during that 1/2 second window and make this right decision?

In my personal experience,

- 60% people will resist.
- 30% people will yield.
- 10% people will try to cut in angle.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Sifu would have an issue, as long as it didn't bring anything in to disrupte. At seminars it is different, my partner wasn't allowed to film, and the same at grading. Facebook is a complete no no. Hopefully at some point I will be allowed to post myself doing the first form. I used wonder why we are not allowed to film much, but talking to the head Sifu, and without getting a concrete answer , they alluded to YouTubr being mainly full of uniformed videos.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a student of TJMA rather than TCMA, but my Sensei knows I post. Because someone took it upon themselves to call him to complain. He laughs it off, but it ticks me off, hence my disclaimer. If anyone has a problem with me, cowboy up and tell me about it. Don't be a wussy little tattletail, which won't work anyway.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a student of TJMA rather than TCMA, but my Sensei knows I post. Because someone took it upon themselves to call him to complain. He laughs it off, but it ticks me off, hence my disclaimer. If anyone has a problem with me, cowboy up and tell me about it. Don't be a wussy little tattletail, which won't work anyway.

Do you know who it was? We could gang up on him and beat him with bags of oranges.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. Stunned to silence. I want to say something about the Martial artist who would make that call, but I'm speechless

Happened more than once, I'm told. Apparently I offended someone to the point they thought my sensei would shut me up. Dude, I'm 57 years old, not 10.

Latest Discussions