Does your Sifu approve of you posting here?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, how many of you have a Sifu that knows that you post on this forum and approves of you engaging in open dialogue with members of other, different groups? I ask because I'm pretty sure all the traditional WC/WT/VT people I've trained under wouldn't like it.

So I just don't talk about it with them. You know "Ignorance is bliss" and "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" and all that. What about the rest of you?
Well, I haven't seen my WC sifu in over 20 years, but id magine he doesn't care too much.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, but what about his horse? Does the horse have a name??

When I was a kid, that "man with no name" character portrayed by Eastwood was my definition of ultimate cool.

...and yes, actually I have ...been through the desert on a horse with no name.

...er ...no, come to think of it, his name was "Archie". :)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sing it everybody!... I've been through a desert on a horse named Archie....

I'm sorry no offense to Archie but it kind of loses something

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keith ...your story is exactly what I'm talking about, man! I've seen it in several different WC/WT/VT lineages, especially those with lead by well known Chinese gentlemen or their "true-believer" followers. And it only gets worse, if they are making a living off their art and it's "authentic" reputation.

On the other hand, I have not seen these attitudes, at least to such a degree, in martial arts that test their stuff in competition. Sure, the competitive MAs may have a strong club loyalty, but ultimately people are concerned with what works. And if you strut your stuff in open competition, it's already out there for everyone to see ... and to use, if they choose.

Honestly, I believe the secrecy associated with a lot of WC and TCMA in general is just used to maintain a mystique to attract students. But at the same time it limits learning and leads to a degradation of the arts. In today's world, that just doesn't fly anymore. :cool:

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sing it everybody!... I've been through a desert on a horse named Archie.... I'm sorry no offense to Archie but it kind of loses something

Well, I also used to ride Smokey, Clyde , Ahab, Freckles, Lucky... and a bunch of others over the years. But they sound just as bad. :( Well, you could sing "On top of old Smokey..." but that would never top the charts, now would it.

Wonder why cowboys never call their horses "No Name"?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I also used to ride Smokey, Clyde , Ahab, Freckles, Lucky... and a bunch of others over the years. But they sound just as bad. :( Well, you could sing "On top of old Smokey..." but that would never top the charts, now would it.

Wonder why cowboys never call their horses "No Name"?
Besides, Clyde was a camel. Or an orangutan.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Besides, Clyde was a camel. Or an orangutan.

Why does this thread keep coming back to Eastwood?

tumblr_lv0393oLkK1qdbce2o1_500.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m currently staying in Somerset MA on the Assonet River, which is salt water. Honest to God there are plants and birds and rocks and things, there is sand and hills and...no, really.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've gotten in trouble for posting in facebook and it ultimately got me kicked out. For me I think the issue wasn't so much about my post as it was about the experience and understanding that I gained through sparring. In some ocassions it highlighted that a student who had fewer years and knew fewer forms understood more about the application of kung fu than some of the Sifu's and other instructors.

I think this bothered some resulting in me being kicked out of the school. I was the only one in my school that had video demonstrating the ability to apply the techniques in sparring. For me it's not a big deal. I just want to be a good representation of Jow Ga and practical kung fu in general.

Not everyone feels the same way about my videos. They see the videos for what they are: A student with a passion to actually learn how to use Kung fu techniques and not a student trying to "show up others."

Even though I got kick out of the school the head of the association as been supportive of my efforts to learn kung fu beyond terminology, forms" lion dance, and demos.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never had an instructor who cared.

That being said, I probably wouldn’t favor a beginner posting things publicly, because, you know, they don’t have much of a clue yet.
This is where the student is the extension of the school and represents the school and it's teachings. Sort of like how children represent the parents.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've gotten in trouble for posting in facebook and it ultimately got me kicked out. For me I think the issue wasn't so much about my post as it was about the experience and understanding that I gained through sparring. In some ocassions it highlighted that a student who had fewer years and knew fewer forms understood more about the application of kung fu than some of the Sifu's and other instructors.

I think this bothered some resulting in me being kicked out of the school. I was the only one in my school that had video demonstrating the ability to apply the techniques in sparring. For me it's not a big deal. I just want to be a good representation of Jow Ga and practical kung fu in general.

Not everyone feels the same way about my videos. They see the videos for what they are: A student with a passion to actually learn how to use Kung fu techniques and not a student trying to "show up others."

Even though I got kick out of the school the head of the association as been supportive of my efforts to learn kung fu beyond terminology, forms" lion dance, and demos.
Better off without that place. Honestly I think some people really don't understand what martial arts is truly about

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the problem with posting isn't much about the poster but more about the instructor or Sifu.

Sometimes egos and power get in the way

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Better off without that place. Honestly I think some people really don't understand what martial arts is truly about
I agree. I can't abandon who I am as a person nor my moral values. Anything that requires you to deny who you are is unhealthy. My situation actually turned out fairly good and it's like I have been adopted by the organization. The school that I used to teach in was kicked from the organization shortly after I was kicked out. Me being kicked out was a saving grace in a way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m currently staying in Somerset MA on the Assonet River, which is salt water. Honest to God there are plants and birds and rocks and things, there is sand and hills and...no, really.
But do you have an orangutan named Clyde? Or, more improbably, his namesake the camel?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where the student is the extension of the school and represents the school and it's teachings. Sort of like how children represent the parents.
Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about a new student posting, per se, but I expect a lot of new students would be unable to properly explain (because they wouldn't yet understand) what's going on in classes. And a bad explanation would easily reflect badly on the school.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem with posting isn't much about the poster but more about the instructor or Sifu.

Sometimes egos and power get in the way
I know more than others here about your situation, and that's really the only conclusion I've been able to come to.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I know I've mentioned this before about your old school, but screw em. And if I lived near you, I would be at your door in a second looking to learn from you

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I've mentioned this before about your old school, but screw em. And if I lived near you, I would be at your door in a second looking to learn from you
I agree - screw 'em.

I'm not far from his area, and I'm looking forward to spending some time learning from each other now that business seems to have slowed back down.