Does WSLVT exist?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

I had posted something regarding hypocrisy associated with moving goal posts in arguments but decided to eat popcorn instead lol. So I deleted it and said NeVer Mind.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, until "Nobody" joined our forum, I was sure that I was nobody important (N.I.). In fact most of us could probably qualify for that name. Unless, you qualify for the other title of "pompous a55" (P.A.). Currently team N.I. soundly outnumbers team P.A. ....unless you are counting posts. Team P.A. have been really working their pompous butts off lately ...as have I (trying my best to speak up for all of us who are nobody important).

So where have you been lately KPM. Off doing actual martial arts training or sparring? Enough of that already. Get back to posting. My fingers are cramping up from too much time at the keyboard. I need some help! :confused:

No need to point out who's being a P.A. ...it's usually pretty damn obvious. Just let it go at that! :)

You can always rely on Saul Goodman to back you up.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can always rely on Saul Goodman to back you up.

Yeah, but that's not very satisfying since actually Saul and I are the same person. Same goes for Phobius, KPM, and a few others. Sort of like multiple personality disorder. It's OK though. We're getting therapy! :D

BTW how do you like our newest personality: Juany?

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been away for a while. Just catching up... this thread is sucking. Why is there so much shallow, bickering happening all over the forum? Shouldn't you guys be discussing something relevant an constructive about Wing Chun?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been away for a while. Just catching up... this thread is sucking. Why is there so much shallow, bickering happening all over the forum? Shouldn't you guys be discussing something relevant and constructive about Wing Chun?

No. We couldn't do that while you were away or you might have missed something! Now that you're back, Callen, we'll get right to it. Better yet, you start a new thread and I'll do my darnedest to add something productive! ;)

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
As you are catching up Callen, my challenge to you would be this.....as you read through the various recent threads that seem to be plagued by being "shallow and bickering", count how many times either Guy B. or LFJ are involved. ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As you are catching up Callen, my challenge to you would be this.....as you read through the various recent threads that seem to be plagued by being "shallow and bickering", count how many times either Guy B. or LFJ are involved. ;)

...er, the only problem with that is that every time they are involved, ....so are we. So I don't think counting proves anything.

On the other hand, every right-minded person will immediately see that whenever there is a dispute, I am absolutely right. Those other two are just being difficult.

...actually the funny thing is ....I really believe this... :D :p

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^Good point Steve! So let me rephrase! Callen, count how many times the bickering centers around Guy B. or LFJ!

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I get it. While I do see some lineage based "declarations" going on in the few threads that I've read, you guys should rise above and not feed into it. That goes for all parties :)

It's easy to get caught up in the things that other people say about how Wing Chun is supposed to work. It's also easy to become offended when theories are discussed and people try to educate others on proper application and technique. When you add in the fact that many practitioners have extreme (and often bias) pride in their lineage, you've got an instant pissing contest. This is exactly why the Wing Chun community get's a bad rap.

If you can constructively contribute, do so. If you don't see something as a truth, move on. It hurts no one to let others think however they like because at the end of the day your skill will do the talking, not your words.

If you really want to make a point, simply don't respond to the threads that you feel are irrelevant. Without an audience, an argument is powerless.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
I get it. While I do see some lineage based "declarations" going on in the few threads that I've read, you guys should rise above and not feed into it. That goes for all parties :)

It's easy to get caught up in the things that other people say about how Wing Chun is supposed to work. It's also easy to become offended when theories are discussed and people try to educate others on proper application and technique. When you add in the fact that many practitioners have extreme (and often bias) pride in their lineage, you've got an instant pissing contest. This is exactly why the Wing Chun community get's a bad rap.

If you can constructively contribute, do so. If you don't see something as a truth, move on. It hurts no one to let others think however they like because at the end of the day your skill will do the talking, not your words.

If you really want to make a point, simply don't respond to the threads that you feel are irrelevant. Without an audience, an argument is powerless.

That would mean stop using the forum. If you stop feeding the fire it will burn down all the wood that still remains.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That would mean stop using the forum. If you stop feeding the fire it will burn down all the wood that still remains.
Good work! But I'm more or less referring to the threads that are created to spark bias controversy, much like this one.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good work! But I'm more or less referring to the threads that are created to spark bias controversy, much like this one.

This thread was not created to "spark bias or controversy". What you are not seeing is that many of us that do come here regularly tire of the repeated affirmations by a couple of people in this forum. It ends up creeping into nearly every thread. You think you are participating in an actual constructive discussion and it ends up simply being a "digging expedition" for certain people to try and look for things to criticize about what others do. That gets old real fast. I started this thread to point out the ridiculousness of one of those "repeated affirmations" that we kept seeing over and over. Sure, its easy to take the moral high ground and tell everyone what they should do. But just stick around. ;)

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not telling anyone what they should do and I'm uncertain about the moral high ground. As good stewards of Wing Chun, we could all do better to represent our trade.

We are faced with this in almost everything we do in life. We must learn to ignore the criticism of others, cancel their power over us and let things go. I'll stick around.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TBH...I actually started learning more about the dynamic duo's VT when I basically ignored interacting to their posts. They drop hints of their WSL method(s) every now and then and I've found that when I don't wade into the quagmire...stay up on the shore and just "read"...I started to gain a clearer understanding of how they view VT and their tactical and strategic methods.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

To second KPMs point I just came along to say how students will use arts to their particular stengths and weaknesses, thus arts can slowly change overtime if they too become Sifus and that over time even "Masters" may change the art as they refine their understanding.

To illustrate the later of the two mechanisms of change I paraphrased an axiom shared by both Ch'an and Zen Buddhism. The response to this axiom by one of the "usual suspects?" He asked "are you a Buddhist?" I do practice Buddhism but it was clear that if I said "no" he would have used that as a straw man argument to try and undermine my point. Simply because some people will turn a discussion into an argument is no reason to say "no" to discussion. If you asked "well will this person or that try to turn this, whether intentionally or not, into a senseless argument" half the threads on this forum may well not exist. Then in the interest of trying to be a good student of our chosen arts we should not simply allow such comments to go universally unanswered. If you don't question some shenanigans then those coming here looking for information, and lack formal training, can find themselves choosing a path without both points of view.

Reactions: KPM

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
The most important thing for new members of this forum to understand is that they must be prepared to acknowledge the equal validity of every approach to be accepted here. If they discriminate (as in choose, prioritise) in any sense then they will be attacked. One of the most important rules for any new member is they must constantly reference their own subjective opinion in anything they say, and never generalise in terms of absolute truth or falsehood.

image.jpeg

Man what a hypocrite? And who the hell are you to think you have the right to set the ground rules for new posters? Is there something we don't know? Are you now a moderator? That would be a bona fide case of "the lunatics have taken over the asylum"...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

It wold be advisable to end the debate over who should be allowed to post what, and return to the original topic of the thread.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^Good point Steve! So let me rephrase! Callen, count how many times the bickering centers around Guy B. or LFJ!

That's exactly it. You just love bickering at us. It's weird.

Would be nice if you did like wckf92 and read our posts objectively.

Latest Discussions