Does Steven Seagal still teach Aikido?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do you train a martial art?

If Xue Sheng or K-man train in aikido or are martial arts instructor of aikido or some other members here are train in aikido or are martial arts instructor of aikido that fine. Than I take it those schools have more striking.

It just I don't know where information I quoted in the above posts today is coming from. Are they all reading false comments on the internet and repeating it.

Is the striking they use in aikido different than boxer, karate or street fight and that is where the miscommunication problem comes from?

I looked at K-man video clip where I said it look more gritty less flowing and smoothing than aiki.

Even still the striking was not want you see in boxer, karate or street fight strike.

Could this where the miscommunication problem comes from?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If Xue Sheng or K-man train in aikido or are martial arts instructor of aikido or some other members here are train in aikido or are martial arts instructor of aikido that fine. Than I take it those schools have more striking.

It just I don't know where information I quoted in the above posts today is coming from. Are they all reading false comments on the internet and repeating it.

Is the striking they use in aikido different than boxer, karate or street fight and that is where the miscommunication problem comes from?

I looked at K-man video clip where I said it look more gritty less flowing and smoothing than aiki.

Even still the striking was not want you see in boxer, karate or street fight strike.

Could this where the miscommunication problem comes from?

Yeah, thanks, not what I asked.... Do you train a martial art?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is the sort of training you would like. OK, that's fine. These guys are good but it would have taken many years to get to that degree of proficiency. Most classes will be teaching basics until you get to at least black belt level and most students will never get to that level of expertise.

The Aikijutsu videos show the strikes. The training itself doesn't use strikes. That is exactly the same as good Aikido.

This is a video I have posted before.

Is that the type of Aikido you are looking for?

After looking at this video today I agree it is more rough and striking like other three videos I posted yesterday.

But is not the striking like boxer,karate or street fighter may be this where the information where people say there is little striking in aikido is coming from. Is striking in aikido is different than striking like a boxer,karate or street fighter.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is striking here but it is more take down striking and different than striking you see in a street fight.

Like a boxer,karate or street fighter.

May be this is where some people say there is little striking in aikido.

That the striking in aikido is different type of striking.Not sure.

Not sure if chokeholds are used in aikido but I have seen Steven Seagal use it many times.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, for crying out loud….

There is no contradiction in the quotes you provided, which leads me to believe that you aren't properly reading them, but reading what you expect them to say… additionally, you're still fixated on your own inaccurate ideas, and are now forcing those onto others (thinking that everyone else is thinking of some "other" type of atemi, as it's not what you think we'd think of). Bluntly, you have resisted all information given to you.

To add to the insult of ignoring the very answers to the questions you're posing, you're now ignoring questions from others. So, with the last hope of having some positive interaction here, can you answer Xue's question?

Do you, or have you ever, actually trained in any martial art yourself?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in the posts you have asked us to look at it is stated a couple times that there are strikes in Aikido. At no time in the is it said there are NO strikes.
It has also been stated that depending on the specific school there may be more or less striking depending on at what stage of the development of the art the instructor or his instructor trained.
Just because striking is not mentioned in post 76 dose not imply that such a thing dose not exist.
Kiai relates to the manifestation, emission or projection of ones own energy (internal strength), while Aiki relates to the merging of one's energy with the energy emitted from an external source (blending). Thus kiai is union with our own, internal energy while aiki is union with an attacker's energy. Kiai consists of all parts of the body being unified and directed to one intent.
in the quote above is it possible that KIAI might refer to striking as well as other things

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Moonhill, I have a very sincere piece of advise for you! I think everyone else here does too, but I'll try communicating it in a nicer, more respectful way in hopes that it sticks!

I intend this advice in the most constructive way possible, and I believe it will benefit you more than any further posting you can do on this thread.

Now, as you might have gathered by my posts here, I also dislike conflicting information, and often butt heads with more experienced folks here. But I try to do so in the spirit of learning, and with full recognition of the likelihood that I don't know half of what I think I do.

The best thing you can do to answer your questions is simply to go train. And your questions won't be answered right away -- in fact, it might not be for many years down the road before they're answered. But empty your cup; assume you understand nothing, fundamentally, and go train. Whether there are strikes, or no strikes, whether it is soft or hard, go train. Do that for a long time. Eventually, you'll start to build enough experience and understanding to resolve these seemingly conflicting points of view.

No martial art, no matter how simple or complex, is without stark differences in opinion of how it should be applied. It's up to you to train and figure that out for yourself. But you won't find your answers through mere speculation, or the opinions of others on an internet forum. Go, get on the mat, and learn for yourself!

That's what everyone here has been suggesting, but might I suggest that they know what they're talking about! It doesn't really matter what you train in the end. Just start somewhere!

Best of luck in your martial endeavors -- if not in the rest of life, as well! Just remember, it all starts with emptying your cup. :)

Last edited:

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Palm smash to face about this thread.

Moonhill it's simple if you want an art that concentrates on striking go do boxing or kickboxing if you want a joint locking/throwing art then take a ju jitsu root art.

Simply put aikido has striking in it but concentrates more on the grappling aspect IMHO.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh, for crying out loud….

There is no contradiction in the quotes you provided, which leads me to believe that you aren't properly reading them, but reading what you expect them to say… additionally, you're still fixated on your own inaccurate ideas, and are now forcing those onto others (thinking that everyone else is thinking of some "other" type of atemi, as it's not what you think we'd think of). Bluntly, you have resisted all information given to you.

To add to the insult of ignoring the very answers to the questions you're posing, you're now ignoring questions from others. So, with the last hope of having some positive interaction here, can you answer Xue's question?

Do you, or have you ever, actually trained in any martial art yourself?

And like that...poof....moonhill99 is gone

tyrant911

White Belt
Reaction score
I know Steven Seagal was teaching Aikido the aggressive type of Aikido not sure what it is called.

Steven Seagal is from Lansing, Michigan and now living in Los Angeles. So I guess he has a dojo in Lansing and Los Angeles. Not sure what it is called or where his school is at or any web sites or videos on his schools.

But how do people like Steven Seagal teaching of Aikido? Is it too rough and gritty like?

Would Steven Seagal Aikido be more rough and gritty like Aikijujutsu and ninjutsu wrist locks and take downs?

Have people seen any youtube clips on how his schools is like? How they teach? The good and bad? Too aggressive type of Aikido or too mixed.

I found this pretty helpful in trying to find information about Sensei Steven Segals style. Hope you find this as enjoyable as I did:

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been studying Tenshin Aikido (Seagals Ideology or method of aikido) for almost a year now.

From my observations and experiences in the Tenshin style it differs from the more traditional aikido by being more compact and angular compared to some of the more traditional aikido schools.

Tenshin also has a couple extra deflections that the traditional schools dont seem to have as well.

Take note im a noob in aikido with a CMA background and these are just my personal observations of the differences that i see between the more traditional ideology and the Tenshin ideology.

Im also glad i found a Tenshin school since I enjoy training in it and it does greatly compliment my previous martial arts background.
From my understanding Take Sensei Aikido focus on realistic attacks,irmi,swordcuts and tai sabaki. Also there randori looks very different then traditional Aikido.

Ryback

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most of Steven Seagal Sensei's earlier students are now running their own dojos, Haruo Matsuoka Sensei is back in Japan, Larry Reynosa Sensei runs Makoto dojo, even Lenny Sly who is making a lot of noise on YouTube lately belongs to this lineage.
As for Take Sensei himself, well he is not running a dojo so he is not teaching on a daily basis but he is doing seminars and demos (mainly in Russia) and he is still doing exams at Jaime Calderon's dojo...
Well his Aikido looks a bit different lately because he is different in many ways, but as with all Aikido masters I think we should try to keep in our minds the image and technique they reflected when they were at their prime and approach that as best as possible....

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lenny Sly who is making a lot of noise on YouTube lately belongs to this lineage.

yup he is lol

If he'd actually stop saying what he thinks is wrong he'd be easier to take lol

His concept and execution are not to bad (his ukes are helping him tho look at the feet in some and you'll see they are assisting lol) but he has not flow at all it is imo very mechanical but if it works for him and he getting the business from it that is his affair

Ryback

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yup he is lol

If he'd actually stop saying what he thinks is wrong he'd be easier to take lol

His concept and execution are not to bad (his ukes are helping him tho look at the feet in some and you'll see they are assisting lol) but he has not flow at all it is imo very mechanical but if it works for him and he getting the business from it that is his affair
Yes I agree about Lenny, he is good, that's the truth but you are correct in what you say about him...
He has been very rude towards one my Sensei's techniques in the past (not on YouTube) and though he apologized repeatedly to me personally, I can't stop thinking that he is trying to sell himself as the ultimate Aikido truth! Still, I like him though... Hahaha!