Does MA practice make you beautiful?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Dagney Taggert, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Dagney Taggert

Dagney Taggert Green Belt

I have a laundry list of reasons that I practice Jiu Jitsu, but since this is the women's forum, I'll talk about the "female" ness reason. Gentlemen, if you are reading this, mind the acetone fumes.

I went through a sort of femi-nazi stage in my early 20's, I didn't need anyone to open the door for me, didn't need to be picked up for a proper date, etc etc. Because, darn it, I was a strong woman and didn't need any of that crap. Silly me however, I couldn't even run a mile, and I had scrawny arms. Not the picture of a strong woman.

Long story short, as part of a self-initiated readjustment, I started BJJ three years ago, and I now feel like I have come full circle to living the art of being a woman. The grittyness of the mat yields out of the gut, a clear mind and a strong body, and each time I roll, whether I had a good class or I rolled crummy that day, the clarity deepens and the strength becomes more beautiful. I can run far and hike tall mountains, and then preen delicately for martinis, fine food, great music, and the other great riches in life.

Now, I am a woman.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Dagney Taggert

Dagney Taggert Green Belt

So my question to you ladies, do you feel MA has cut a unique facet in your soul? And I don't mean to ask, if you feel "empowered" or some other cliche'. I mean, do you think MA has deepened your feminine side to the point that "empowered female" is simply redundant?

Dagney

3. CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka Senior Master

It seems only a guy will reply, sorry! However I, personnally, I like a girl with some muscle... If that helps any.

4. Live True

Live True Brown Belt

I consider myself to still be a newbie, but I do belive Uechi has provided me with a stability and confidence that was weaker before. I also feel like I am working toward better physical health (which I firmly believe is part of why I was recently able to become pregnant). So, yes, I'd have to agree it has strengthened my feminine by allowing me to be more myself.

As for my fellow karateka in my group, I find them all to be strong minded, lovley women with a variety of body types, but all exuberant about life and confident in thier way forward.

Confidence and knowledge of one's body shows....and it's sexy!

• Like Like x 1
  5. kicksindabank

kicksindabank Green Belt

Now that is a good question. Of course MA make your beautiful! I mean not only can you sexy, but you can kick butt at the same time! How beautiful

6. Fiendlover

Fiendlover Black Belt

very much so. i was like you, still kinda am and when i joined karate it changed me, made me better and i felt better about being a woman and i continue to feel that way every time i practice or go to class or even when im not at the dojo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ceicei

Ceicei Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Yes. I like how I became because of what martial arts do for me. Actually, I liked myself just as well before.... What martial arts do for me was to strengthen the sense of who I am in letting me express my joy of my physical self. It allows me to delve into the mental and spiritual exploration. The martial arts led me to face my fears eyeball to eyeball and grab the bull's horns in overcoming them. I enjoy the physical, mental, psychological, and spiritual challenges before me.

I was beautiful before, I'm more beautiful now. I like who I am more and enjoy what I'm becoming.

- Ceicei

• Like Like x 1
  8. JustAVisitor

JustAVisitor Orange Belt

The health and self-esteem brought by MA practice 'beautifies' everyone. You feel better, you look better.

9. harlan

harlan 2nd Black Belt

Answer: No.

Not completely sure of the original question...does MA make one more beautiful...or more female. Either way, I don't buy into those social constructs, anymore than I accept the pejorative (usually male) that a strong woman is a 'fem-nazi'.

I hope MA practice brings out the best in me...gender aside.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tellner

tellner Senior Master

Does MA make women beautiful?

That depends on other people's standard of beauty.

For me the answer is "Yes, and if you're married do you have a sister who likes martial arts and frogs?" I happen to be turned on by strong, graceful confident women.
    [Thank goodness my wife doesn't read martial talk :wink1:]

Not everyone is. The ones who like 'em childlike and submissive will be turned off by it.

The correct answer is "C - Who cares?" Do it because it's something you enjoy that serves your own agenda. Don't worry about how it makes you conform to some hypothetical stranger's standards.

11. imitation_vanilla

imitation_vanilla Yellow Belt

I really can't classify parts of myself as feminine or masculine, nor do I want to--they're just me.

Martial arts has helped strengthen and condition me, give me confidence, given me the opportunity to work through physical activities I hate to get to the stuff I enjoy, given me tools to defend myself, and made me part of a community.

None of those things are inherently masculine or feminine. They're just good things for humans.

12. royalblue62

royalblue62 White Belt

Personally, I find ladies who practice martial arts attractive.

13. KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805 Green Belt

Girl who does martial art is cool

14. Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101 Master Black Belt

No it doesn't I've seen some women great looking women, some average looking women and some...not good looking women. Look in the ufc women's division there's a range of different looks to the super model type to the muscular type of woman. Anyway who cares martial arts isn't about looking good it's about learning something I guess it could make you internally beautiful where you'll see yourself as more beautiful because of it I guess and it might make your body look better but to me beauty isn't about a body or your looks you could have the greatest body in the world but if you've got a horrid personality I won't look at you twice but if martial arts make you a better person then to me then it does make you beautiful.

15. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Eeuw, please. This isn't a dating agency.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Tames D

Tames D RECKLESS

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Read the title of this thread. From a female.

17. Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I'm so prettyyyyyy. I'm so pretyyyyyyyy!....(Daily affirmation. This also reminds me to stay out of prison) :bag:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    'I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair' :D

• Funny Funny x 2