Does it get you ->?PISSED?<-

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mc Qoorbs said:
I swear it aggresively angers me.

This is my 8th class in Jeninkan with Peter Steeves and im totally lost as to the terms that are being used,hell... i can barely do any of the moves they teach us right.Who gets pissed when you know something you did was wrong?
That is part of the training! I think we all have been there and it still happens from time to time. See it as growth. Soon, what you find difficult or nearly impossible will become second nature and there will be something else even more confusing and difficult to take it's place. It is the nature of training.

Best regards,
David

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
If it is physically impossible to do something, then it will become apparent in time. "Can't" is still a useless statement. It's more accurate to say "(This physical circumstance) is preventing me from doing the technique."

Coherent self-criticism is absolutely vital to improving. If you make an accurate self-criticism, it immediately suggests an alternative, even if the alternative is, "(This limitation) provents me from doing (this technique), but I *can* do (another technique)."

Sure you will. Even though techniques are bundles of skills, improving one does improve others. You'll never be perfect, is all.

Changing training circumstances forces you to focus on the technique itself, and not the conditions around doing it. Those cues are bad things, even if they are comfortable; we want to minimize their influence.

A year is a long time, but if you can find out sooner, it won't be something you mistake for lack of training. It will generally involve pain. I wanted to close a loophole that would allow certain people to complain that their body is too "different" for a technique they could do if they put in the effort.
Cant cant cant..cant always do what anyone else does....it what makes us individuals.

Cant be a 10th dan Soke...cant cant cant

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Cant cant cant..cant always do what anyone else does....it what makes us individuals.

Cant be a 10th dan Soke...cant cant cant
Very true! We all are NOT equal! I can't do back flips, but wish I could. However, it really doesn't have any impact on my training or my life. There are many alternatives. Don't sweat the small stuff.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If studying martial arts were easy everyone would do it! It's totally normal for you to feel a bit like a dork when you try anything new. I got roped into doing some swing dancing and man o man was that a sight to see. All these people swinging and bopping all around and I'm stepping on the instructor's toes. I felt like I had two left feet and I wanted to run, actually *giggle* I thought about sweeping him! LOL The thing is, I stuck it out that night and it got a little more comfy to do and I promised I'd give it a few more lessons, and don't tell anyone, but after the work was done it started to become fun! You are doing something your body isn't familiar with and time and practice is all you need. Stick with it because it is worthwhile and you'll be so glad you did! :)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Practice is always the way to improvement. But when one can't do something, no matter why or what, they still can't. (Won't can also be used)

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know how you feel . When I started training in modern arnis I had a heck of a time . I'm a natural lefty & I was trying to learn mostly everything with my right hand . The same goes for my sayoc training . It got to the point were I thought I was just never going to get it . I was defeated even before I entered class . I stayed focused & worked hard & that frustration eventually went away . I have alot of great instructors & training partners to thank for that :asian: . Stay focused , stay relaxed & train hard . You will be fine . Have fun ! Some day you will look back & laugh .

Good luck
Frank

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do Not get Frustrated all you need is a lot of practice and dedication and the terms you will get it too all you need is to pay attention to your instructor to what kind of term his saying and memorize it and you can ask your instructor for help on the terms and or the technique thats what i do because my instructor said if you have question come and see me or other instructor and we will help you

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Do Not get Frustrated all you need is a lot of practice and dedication and the terms you will get it too all you need is to pay attention to your instructor to what kind of term his saying and memorize it and you can ask your instructor for help on the terms and or the technique thats what i do because my instructor said if you have question come and see me or other instructor and we will help you
given the thread is over 11 years old, I chuckle at the thought that the OP is a 3rd degree black belt teaching at his own school now. Likely he's quit, but either way, I do t think your advice will he very helpful to him. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the title ( I hadn't seen it first time around) and thought it was a drinking thread, in the UK getting pissed is getting drunk. Oh well back to my glass of wine. :p

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Read the title ( I hadn't seen it first time around) and thought it was a drinking thread, in the UK getting pissed is getting drunk. Oh well back to my glass of wine. :p

In Australia and New Zealand as well, as we found out in Vietnam. Let's have a can of piss man ?!?! Didn't hurt to have some skill in darts either, drinking was cheaper if you did. :p

Latest Discussions