Does Hapkido have a technical standard?

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As I learned, difference between Hosinsul and Hapkido is that Hapkido is full art with it principles, forms, stances, kicks..and other stuff which martial art is made of. Hosinsul is joint lock based self defense part of Taekwondo and only it.

Hosinsul tehniques are originaly extracted from Hapkido by Gen. Choi and that's what they have in common.

Hosinsul never had definite number of tehniques, so it evolves even today, and Taekwondo instructors still extracts tehniques from Hapkido. I believe reason is simply because many Taekwondo instructors holds degree in Hapkido.

Some schools blends Hapkido and Taekwondo so much that nobody know what they are practicing..everybody should find level of blending which is good to them..I think it's hard to mistake because Hkd and Tkd goes so well together that they should be practiced together.

First question was is there any technical standard in Hapkido..I would say yes but each federation / organisation have it's own standards, it would be probably impossible to have one standard for all.

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my post I referred to specific Taekwondo Hosinsul. Is it often that Hosinsul term is not art specific or? I heard it only as Taekwondo term.

milewski

White Belt
Reaction score
Not for all martial arts.

For example; Judo has a curriculum standard, and a person can compare one teacher to another based on that standard. Judo also has combat, which sets one teacher and their students apart from another.

I was referring to the above comment, sorry, should have included this quote in my comment.

Bruce W. Sims

White Belt
Reaction score
Hoshisul is just the general term for self defense; literally protect body skill. The term is not art specific.

Thanks, Daniel:

Actually you rathermuch encapsulate this whole issue in just those brief phrases. The short answer to the OP is a simple "yes". Hapkido does have a technical standard. That technical standard, however, has a lot to do with where in the history of the Hapkido arts one chooses to take up the discussion. As a result, to identify the standard, one needs to choose whether the discussion is about YU SOOL, YUKWONSUL, HAPKIYUKWONSUL, or HAPKIDO. There are also derivations of each of these practices as well as corruptions and re-mixtures of the material. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce did bring up a viable point, that could apply to any art. Arts can and do tend to change over time, not all, but many have. It could be the addition of a form(s), certain drills, competiton etc. All lead to a change in 'technical' standards. One would have to define the period in which their asking the question. As an example, Uechi Ryu originally taught only three kata. In the 50's, five additional kata were added. So the technical standard would have changed from someone earning their BB in the 40's as opposed to someone in the 60's as far as the actual time of testing.