Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are bound to say that however to enlighten you on why i said it was lacking is because in the classes and teachers i have seen it was lacking in quality and understanding. Now i did address the problem with large franchises in my initial post - which is that whilst there may be a lot of good instructors there can also be weaker ones with less skill especially with a franchise the size of kamon. I know kevin knows his stuff but with the large numbers not everyone gets quality time with kevin or even with the higher level instructors. So whilst at the top with ones that all associate with each other often there is a good quality there is also a lot of instructors that don't have the same quality to feed into a class - this has nothing to do with where you have trained and perhaps more to do with places you havent trained - unless you are saying that from experience all kamon schools have very good chi sao? I mean i did try to explain that my words were just of my experience and that the training will vary from class to class even within the kamon franchise. Perhaps its possible that i have been unlucky and seen more of the downside to kamon than the upside, i'll accept that and am happy to believe there to be many great kamon schools out there but it doesn't stop there also being some less great schools.

I honestly am not slating kamon i am seriously just being honest about my experiences and sharing them with someone who asked.
I wouldn't train at Kamon if I didn't think it was the best. I did chi sao with a guy who had trained under Anton Thomas for 8 years and destroyed him

The instructors at Kamon are extremely good at what they do. Before I became an instructor Sifu Kevin Chan made sure that we know all about lineages/other styles, that we could handle chi sao at advanced level, that we knew all hand forms, that we could fight to a good level and that we could teach well.

Of course we aren't as good as Kevin Chan, but I don't know many instructors who are!! I currently train with WT instructors and instructors from Southern Wing Chun school in Essex and swap ideas about. I have found that they are around the same knowledge as myself, but that they are severly lacking in knowledge of other martial arts.

Can I ask what class you went to/trained at, etc

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You said there was a difference in WT and WC, that's all.

Oh, I thought you we're talking about this:
"WT is called WT for a reason. That topic should be discussed under a different thread though."

Talking about the differences is fine. There are threads already that focus on that topic.

CheukMo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I thought you we're talking about this:
"WT is called WT for a reason. That topic should be discussed under a different thread though."

Talking about the differences is fine. There are threads already that focus on that topic.

Yeah, but I'll have to use that pesky search function to do that...
icon10.gif

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The topic may be a page or two in the past, but we just had a discussion on the differences and similarities between the two. I believe WT looks similar to WC but some of the fundimentals are out the door as soon as you swing around the center axis. That and the punch seems extremely exaggerated and uses lots of muscle.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't train at Kamon if I didn't think it was the best. I did chi sao with a guy who had trained under Anton Thomas for 8 years and destroyed him

The instructors at Kamon are extremely good at what they do. Before I became an instructor Sifu Kevin Chan made sure that we know all about lineages/other styles, that we could handle chi sao at advanced level, that we knew all hand forms, that we could fight to a good level and that we could teach well.

Of course we aren't as good as Kevin Chan, but I don't know many instructors who are!! I currently train with WT instructors and instructors from Southern Wing Chun school in Essex and swap ideas about. I have found that they are around the same knowledge as myself, but that they are severly lacking in knowledge of other martial arts.

Can I ask what class you went to/trained at, etc

Thats great, but like i said unless you have trained with all kamon instructors its hard to be sure that they are all that good. Perhaps, like i said there is just a weak link or two that i was exposed to. I know kevin knows his wing chun and i don't dispute that he may have a lot of great people in his organisation but i was witness to some less than favourable representatives and as much as you don't want to hear that (understandably) it is what i saw/felt. I am not discrediting kamon in the slightest just speaking of what i saw, like i say, i know kevin is good i have seen this. But its like they say, you'll have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was. Again i just want to make it clear i am not attacking you skill level or knowledge i am simply repeating what i experienced with no malice whatsoever.

I know some people who are under Sifu Cheung Kwok Wan, never had the pleasure of training with him personally.

I train under sifu sam kwok.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thats great, but like i said unless you have trained with all kamon instructors its hard to be sure that they are all that good. Perhaps, like i said there is just a weak link or two that i was exposed to. I know kevin knows his wing chun and i don't dispute that he may have a lot of great people in his organisation but i was witness to some less than favourable representatives and as much as you don't want to hear that (understandably) it is what i saw/felt. I am not discrediting kamon in the slightest just speaking of what i saw, like i say, i know kevin is good i have seen this. But its like they say, you'll have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was. Again i just want to make it clear i am not attacking you skill level or knowledge i am simply repeating what i experienced with no malice whatsoever.

I know some people who are under Sifu Cheung Kwok Wan, never had the pleasure of training with him personally.

I train under sifu sam kwok.
You can say anything on here and I won't take it personally. People are entitled to their opinions and I value them.

I have trained with EVERY one of the Kamon instructors currently teaching (and some that have moved on) and so I am interested in who your instructors were.

Kevin Chan is very good at what he does and teaches and like you say he is up there at the top, but he is available on Mondays (Croydon class), Tuesday (Beckenahm class), Thursday (Portsmouth class) and in seminars. He also does advanced classes at Covent Garden and private lessons for Kamon members and non-members alike. He teaches everyone beginners and advanced students and is a friendly guy

Of course his instructors won't know as much as him - not many people do in the UK. Sam Kwok is extremely good at wing chun (he even started Kevin Chan off in wing chun) but he lacks the knowledge of other martial arts which is essential for developing your own techniques.

Again, if you would name the instructor/s either on here or on private message I would be grateful

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can say anything on here and I won't take it personally. People are entitled to their opinions and I value them.

I have trained with EVERY one of the Kamon instructors currently teaching (and some that have moved on) and so I am interested in who your instructors were.

They weren't my instructors, my teacher is sam kwok. They are people i have encountered during my time in wing chun and i remain friends with them. I would mention names but they themselves have some issues with kamon so i think i'll refrain from putting the spotlight on them.

Kevin Chan is very good at what he does and teaches and like you say he is up there at the top, but he is available on Mondays (Croydon class), Tuesday (Beckenahm class), Thursday (Portsmouth class) and in seminars. He also does advanced classes at Covent Garden and private lessons for Kamon members and non-members alike. He teaches everyone beginners and advanced students and is a friendly guy

I have never disputed kevins character or ability, it needs no discussing. As for the classes he runs, i know not all instructors make it to see kevin on a regular basis at all despite the availability.

Of course his instructors won't know as much as him - not many people do in the UK. Sam Kwok is extremely good at wing chun (he even started Kevin Chan off in wing chun) but he lacks the knowledge of other martial arts which is essential for developing your own techniques.

Oh, so what you are trying to say is your instructor is better than my instructor. Thats fine, but i'd like to know why you think sam lacks knowledge of other martial arts, he has a vast amount of knowledge of various arts but perhaps you just don't accept that.

Again, if you would name the instructor/s either on here or on private message I would be grateful

No i don't feel that would be appropiate, their names aren't important, it shouldn't matter to you.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They weren't my instructors, my teacher is sam kwok. They are people i have encountered during my time in wing chun and i remain friends with them. I would mention names but they themselves have some issues with kamon so i think i'll refrain from putting the spotlight on them..

No i don't feel that would be appropiate, their names aren't important, it shouldn't matter to you.
Well I'm sorry, but if you can't back up your comments, then please don't post such statements. That is like me saying I think BJJ is rubbish. What instructor did I train under? Oooo I couldn't possibly say, but it does mean that BJJ isn't very good

I understand that you are attacking a federation rather than an art, but its the same line of thought

And you haven't learnt under them? How on earth do you know how good their teaching is? Have they shown you everything?

Oh, so what you are trying to say is your instructor is better than my instructor. Thats fine, but i'd like to know why you think sam lacks knowledge of other martial arts, he has a vast amount of knowledge of various arts but perhaps you just don't accept that.

I have trained under Sam Kwok both in his classes and at seminars
He certainly holds events with extremely good martial artists such as Bob Breen etc, but he maintains his wing chun will hold against anything (rather than train other martial arts)

I never said that my instructor was better than your instructor - that is a very general statement. I have learnt more off Kevin Chan in a year than I ever did under Sam Kwok, but that is me (one individual). Sam has taught many people and it obviously works for them. It didn't for me.

CheukMo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to get in the middle of an argument, but I have to agree with Kamon Guy. If you are claiming that some sifu is/are not teaching as well as they should you should at least IM the names to him in order for him to be able to check it out and let Kevin Chan review and make any corrections that might be necessary.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exactly. Thanks Cheuk Mo.

ed-swckf
As I said, I know all the instructors in Kamon, and none of them would be offended by honest comments, but I have taken offence at your previous comments which is basically saying that most of the instructors in Kamon are inadequate.

One of our instructors has been doing wing chun for 40 years and is extremely experinced. Other instructors have trained with other wing chunners before coming to Kamon. There is a wealth of knowledge there and to merely write it off is pretty bad.

I am not very keen on William Cheung or Wai Po's schools due to teaching styles, but I would never just criticise them generally on a forum with no backing.

I assume the forum was built to give information about federations and martial arts out there good and bad, but perhaps a little more info should be provided before comments are made

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to get in the middle of an argument, but I have to agree with Kamon Guy. If you are claiming that some sifu is/are not teaching as well as they should you should at least IM the names to him in order for him to be able to check it out and let Kevin Chan review and make any corrections that might be necessary.

Well i never said what they teach isn't good, i just said the focus on chisau is lacking somewhat. Its not up to me to report this, if they don't believe that its even true then it is not down to me to convince them. What has been said here thus far by kamonguy is that there is already provisions in place to ensure all instructors teach to the standard required. I only expressed an opinion on a couple of schools that i have had contact with, and as an outsider my opinion on how their club should be run really isn't grounds for kevin to change things. If kevin is happy with everyone doing what they are doing then fine, he see's what happens with gradings etc. I've tried hard to express that it is just my opinion based on my experience and that i am not suggesting what they do is wrong, just different toa lot of other places - i expressed this because someone was looking to join and i wanted to give them an objective opinion not to start a discussion about who's school is better.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. Thanks Cheuk Mo.

ed-swckf
As I said, I know all the instructors in Kamon, and none of them would be offended by honest comments, but I have taken offence at your previous comments which is basically saying that most of the instructors in Kamon are inadequate.

I never once said that in the slightest, you must have a complex. All i have said is that the teachers i know from kamon and the classes they teach have less of a focus on chisau and the intricate points of sensitivity. If that suits the individual then kamon is great and i have continued to say in every post that i am not trying to slate kamon but you insist on taking it as such. My comments were all honest yet you took offence. I also really have no idea why you think i said most instructors were inadequate as i was continually trying to concede that it could just be the people i know and that with large franchises its possible to have some that may not have the fullness of knowledge. Basically i gave you every easy out there was but you just want to argue the fact, if you think i'm lying i'm not, if you think my opinion is worth nothing then don't entertain it.

One of our instructors has been doing wing chun for 40 years and is extremely experinced. Other instructors have trained with other wing chunners before coming to Kamon. There is a wealth of knowledge there and to merely write it off is pretty bad.

And this relates to nothing i have said, you are continually just responding to things i have never said and assuming i have written of kamon, i haven't and never said i did. There is a reason why the word *** is in assumption, because thats what it makes you.

I am not very keen on William Cheung or Wai Po's schools due to teaching styles, but I would never just criticise them generally on a forum with no backing.

I expressed an opinion based on my experience, if you actually read what i wrote you would see i said, some are good but i experienced some not so good. I also said that my opinion shouldn't decide anything and suggested visiting the classes themselves. My opinion stands, the focus on chisau in some kamon schools is lacking, what backing do ineed to have an opinoon on what i experience? Now seeing as you have expressed your opinion on william cheung and wai po tang would you now fully qualify every reason for that opinion?

I assume the forum was built to give information about federations and martial arts out there good and bad, but perhaps a little more info should be provided before comments are made

Well no, because its just an opinion, its up to others to make up their own minds, i will let people know of my experience. I notice you don't ask people to thouroughly back up their opinions when it paints you in a more positive light. In fact you never even asked me to back up my comment of seeing some good kamon schools. This isn't about me backing up comments its about you wanting to justify your school when someone is expressing an opinion different to your own. Not everyone likes kamon, i could go into quite a political rant of events i have witnessed but to be honest its not the place at all, i am avoiding it. I would say the same for students of sam kwok that teach, their are some good and some not so good, its up to the student to visit the class and see how it works for them. I have provided all the info necessary, if you really can't accept opinions being expressed then ignore them. Getting into an argument about it is ridiculous. If you really want to spend all this time discussing me expressing my opinion and even saying may opinion is just my opinion and urging people to find out for themselves then go ahead.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm sorry, but if you can't back up your comments, then please don't post such statements. That is like me saying I think BJJ is rubbish. What instructor did I train under? Oooo I couldn't possibly say, but it does mean that BJJ isn't very good

I never said it was rubbish, learn to read. I said its focus on chisau was lacking, lots of schools will favour different areas, i said it was very sharp at step in drills and stuff too but we aren't asking for evidence for that are we? Why not? I never said it wasn't very good, thats what you assumed. I can back up mycomments all day long but i'm not about to single out people on a public forum, and based on the way you are perceiving what i am saying if i was to say who they were then you would be like "oh so and so says you are crap" which is really not what i have said at all. When you learn toread what is written and not what you want to see then perhaps i will be more forthcomming with information. As it stands i said some kamon scholls are good, some are bad in my experience and then suggested the best way to find out is to go visit the school as one persons opinion quite often isn't another pearsons. Now you may hold a different opinion on things than me but i accept that, it doesn't make it fact and when it comes to things like this you shouldn't goby other peoples opinion you should make up your own mind based on what you see personally. If you are happy with your opinion based on what you see then mine really shouldn't matter. If you are in doubt in some areas and wish for a second opinion then mine is available, and when you are less argumentative i will be happy to discuss my opinion more fully, in private. As it stands i remain of the opinion that some kamon classes are great, some lack in areas i would prefer them not to but i feel anyone interested should check the school out for themselves. If you really have a problem with that then that remains your problem.

I understand that you are attacking a federation rather than an art, but its the same line of thought

I am not attacking anything, i am suggesting people check it out, and that it wasn't personally valid for me because of x,y and z. If you are that sensitive there is something wrong.

And you haven't learnt under them? How on earth do you know how good their teaching is? Have they shown you everything?

No, but what would you say if i mentioned that they came to learn under us? I have experienced their classes as a guest,like i said they are friends. They have shown me their repitoire, yes and its not bad but hey in my opinion there is some areas lacking, which they enjoy working on with me.

I have trained under Sam Kwok both in his classes and at seminars
He certainly holds events with extremely good martial artists such as Bob Breen etc, but he maintains his wing chun will hold against anything (rather than train other martial arts)

Well my experiences vary from your own. I could get all uppity about this because you are saying things that differ from my opinion but you are fully entitled to your opinion based on your experiences, its far from conclusive just like mine of kamon. I would just urge people to visit sam and talk to him about other martial arts and make up their own mind.

I never said that my instructor was better than your instructor - that is a very general statement. I have learnt more off Kevin Chan in a year than I ever did under Sam Kwok, but that is me (one individual). Sam has taught many people and it obviously works for them. It didn't for me.

I'm glad you have the ability to distinguish individuality now perhaps you can see that my opinion was based on me as an individual, if you are happy with your opinion then just accept mine as different. People should make up their own minds regardless of any opinions raised here. All the opinions here are good for is giving people something to look out for when they find out for themselves. People looking at kamon schools may look at the approach to chisau (and say to themselves "its fine, the guy on the forum must have expereinced something else to this") and people talking to sam may ask about his stance on other martial arts (and say to themselves "well he seems to have a wealth of knowledge on other arts and displays that in a manner iam happy with it might just have been wrong for that other guy on the forum.")

I'm glad kamon works for you, again, i am not and never have slated kamon, i just found areas thati would prefer to be different - my opinion, everyone needs to make up their own mind and i expressed that.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are bound to say that however to enlighten you on why i said it was lacking is because in the classes and teachers i have seen it was lacking in quality and understanding. Now i did address the problem with large franchises in my initial post - which is that whilst there may be a lot of good instructors there can also be weaker ones with less skill especially with a franchise the size of kamon. I know kevin knows his stuff but with the large numbers not everyone gets quality time with kevin or even with the higher level instructors. So whilst at the top with ones that all associate with each other often there is a good quality there is also a lot of instructors that don't have the same quality to feed into a class - this has nothing to do with where you have trained and perhaps more to do with places you havent trained - unless you are saying that from experience all kamon schools have very good chi sao?

This, for me is why I have a problem. You are basically saying here that the chi sao in Kamon is not good. This is not an assumption - read your own words please

To answer, yes ALL of the Kamon instructors are very good at chi sao.

At the beginning, no chi sao is taught. Instead sticking drills such as lok sao and lap sao are taught as well as other drills. When a student has built in structire, footwork etc, they will then progress to chi sao. This is done two years after a student starts. However, by the time that they start to learn chi sao, the structure and understanding is such that the chi sao play is easy to them. Chi sao and forms are worked on later into the art but this is the way it should be done. If you start someone off in chi sao, it is sloppy. It is like asking a newbie to boxing to step into the ring and fight!

Of course Kevin Chan will be better at chi sao than his instructors, just like Ip Chun is better at chi sao than Sam Kwok or Robert Chu is better than Alan Orr. Not many people succeed their instructor in skill

I am probably the worst instructor at chi sao in Kamon and I have been able to outplay many instructors from other federations.

I would still appreciate an answer as to what classes you visited as I find it important to answer on behalf of my colleagues fairly.

And as a last comment, my personal experience of Sam Kwok has not jaded me to the fact that he is good at wing chun. He is an exceptional martial artist, but I chose Kamon as the self defence aspect was good. I have since found that the tutorials on chi sao is very good. At the Wednesday Covent Garden class (and at Croydon on monday) chi sao is all we do for the whole lesson!!

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
This, for me is why I have a problem. You are basically saying here that the chi sao in Kamon is not good. This is not an assumption - read your own words please

To answer, yes ALL of the Kamon instructors are very good at chi sao.

That doesn't mean that what they do isn't any good even when i do say their chi sao lacks something. I most definitely do not say that chi sao in kamon is not good, you assumed that. I said i have experienced some people from kamon that have some qualitys lacking in their chi sao. I have also experienced some good chi sao in kamon and i mentioned i found both good and not so good when i expressed my opinion. Based on my experience i formed my opinion, i don't mind if you think differently to me but don't expect my opinion to change because you say all kamon chi sao is very good. I have an opinion based on events you didn't experience, as a result my opinion differs, deal with it.

At the beginning, no chi sao is taught. Instead sticking drills such as lok sao and lap sao are taught as well as other drills. When a student has built in structire, footwork etc, they will then progress to chi sao. This is done two years after a student starts. However, by the time that they start to learn chi sao, the structure and understanding is such that the chi sao play is easy to them. Chi sao and forms are worked on later into the art but this is the way it should be done. If you start someone off in chi sao, it is sloppy. It is like asking a newbie to boxing to step into the ring and fight!

Thanks for sharing that.

Of course Kevin Chan will be better at chi sao than his instructors, just like Ip Chun is better at chi sao than Sam Kwok or Robert Chu is better than Alan Orr. Not many people succeed their instructor in skill

Hardly the point i was making at all. I don't expect them to be better than kevin. If an instructor from another school came to partake in your class and you found they lacked some major fundamentals in chi sao you wouldn't think that means the head instructor of that school is of the same quality as the visiting party. You would however be able to form an opinion about his knowledge and quality of chi sao, this doesn't mean the rest of the schools are bad, now this guy enjoys training with us because he picks up a lot of stuff that he needs to work on, he is humble about his standard of wing chun. I visit his school and i have never said its not good, i think its all valid stuff i just found in this particular case, the chi sao was in need of work. But because this is simply not even a possibility for you being that all kamon chi sao is very good,i think we should just agree that its just some weird opinion i have gotten that isn't plausible or worth entertaining. I'm happy to concede that all kamon chi sao is very good and if it makes things easier i will retract my opinion of the situation i experienced.

I am probably the worst instructor at chi sao in Kamon and I have been able to outplay many instructors from other federations.

Well believe it or not i have opinions on other federations too, i am even critical of my own training, its not a bad thing. Its all based on my experiences so they may differ from yours.

I would still appreciate an answer as to what classes you visited as I find it important to answer on behalf of my colleagues fairly.
You can still answer on your colleagues behalf fairly. Personally i think that i should respect peoples privacy, if they wish to raise an issue with things they can. I'm just a guy expressing a personal opinion, one that doesn't hold any weight with you so it really doesn't matter.

And as a last comment, my personal experience of Sam Kwok has not jaded me to the fact that he is good at wing chun. He is an exceptional martial artist, but I chose Kamon as the self defence aspect was good. I have since found that the tutorials on chi sao is very good. At the Wednesday Covent Garden class (and at Croydon on monday) chi sao is all we do for the whole lesson!!

Ok, well i will also add that i have never thought lowly of kevin chan. And i'm glad that chi sao for you is not lacking.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That doesn't mean that what they do isn't any good even when i do say their chi sao lacks something. I most definitely do not say that chi sao in kamon is not good, you assumed that. I said i have experienced some people from kamon that have some qualitys lacking in their chi sao. I have also experienced some good chi sao in kamon and i mentioned i found both good and not so good when i expressed my opinion. Based on my experience i formed my opinion, i don't mind if you think differently to me but don't expect my opinion to change because you say all kamon chi sao is very good. I have an opinion based on events you didn't experience, as a result my opinion differs, deal with it. .
No what you said is that the chi sao was lacking at Kamon. Most people will agree that this is saying that the chi sao is bad.
If something lacks something it is not a good thing
I have offered you the chance to back up your claims and state who you trained with. You haven't and therefore I am finding it harder and harder to believe anything you say.

Hardly the point i was making at all. I don't expect them to be better than kevin. If an instructor from another school came to partake in your class and you found they lacked some major fundamentals in chi sao you wouldn't think that means the head instructor of that school is of the same quality as the visiting party. You would however be able to form an opinion about his knowledge and quality of chi sao, this doesn't mean the rest of the schools are bad, now this guy enjoys training with us because he picks up a lot of stuff that he needs to work on, he is humble about his standard of wing chun. I visit his school and i have never said its not good, i think its all valid stuff i just found in this particular case, the chi sao was in need of work. But because this is simply not even a possibility for you being that all kamon chi sao is very good,i think we should just agree that its just some weird opinion i have gotten that isn't plausible or worth entertaining. I'm happy to concede that all kamon chi sao is very good and if it makes things easier i will retract my opinion of the situation i experienced..
Again you are suggesting that are our instructors are lacking 'major fundamentals' in chi sao. If I said on this forum that many of Sam Kwok's students lack major fundamentals (even though they don't), I am sure he would be displeased. Or certainly most of his instructors would be

Well believe it or not i have opinions on other federations too, i am even critical of my own training, its not a bad thing. Its all based on my experiences so they may differ from yours..
Well if you write an opinion that criticises you got to back it up or people just will not take you seriously. It is the same as criticising certain arts
You have stated that you 'met up with' a couple of instructors and trained (which is highly doubtful, as we are not allowed to do that except in private lessons), giving no name of the instructor/s. Are you sure they were instructors for instance?

You can still answer on your colleagues behalf fairly. Personally i think that i should respect peoples privacy, if they wish to raise an issue with things they can. I'm just a guy expressing a personal opinion, one that doesn't hold any weight with you so it really doesn't matter..
I can't really answer them fairly as every instructor is different. If you tell me a name I can tell you specifics on their training, examples of where their chi sao has held up, whether they are an instructor in Kamon or not, and how long they have trained

Ok, well i will also add that i have never thought lowly of kevin chan. And i'm glad that chi sao for you is not lacking.
I thankyou for saying that, but I am still interested in finding out what training you have had that can make judgement over possibly more experienced wing chunners and their chi sao

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
No what you said is that the chi sao was lacking at Kamon. Most people will agree that this is saying that the chi sao is bad.
If something lacks something it is not a good thing
I have offered you the chance to back up your claims and state who you trained with. You haven't and therefore I am finding it harder and harder to believe anything you say.

You are taking it out of context, i have stated that i have found some kamon to be good and some that i found the chi sao to lack. I have always stated this was not the same in all kamon schools, just an experience i have had. We are talking about that particular experience not kamon as a whole, its easy to take it out of context so it says what you want but its simply not what i have been saying if you read the whole thread in context. And i don't care if you or anyone believes me, in fact i continually urge people to find out for themselves. I don't need to back anything up, its a personal opinion, i'm refraining from dropping names on here and if you can't believe i had this experience thats fine, i have already said thats fine a million times.

Again you are suggesting that are our instructors are lacking 'major fundamentals' in chi sao. If I said on this forum that many of Sam Kwok's students lack major fundamentals (even though they don't), I am sure he would be displeased. Or certainly most of his instructors would be

I'm talking about one, maybe two guys. Now if you said about people even though they don't lack those fundamentals then that would be stupid but if you really thought they were lacking something then you should say that. I don't know where you are getting the idea of many students seeing as i am not talking about many. Now i also said i would retract my personal opinion but you ignored that and just seem to want to go back and forth. Well carry on, to me it really seems like theres nothing else to say but i will continue to reply if you want to keep going.

Well if you write an opinion that criticises you got to back it up or people just will not take you seriously. It is the same as criticising certain arts
You have stated that you 'met up with' a couple of instructors and trained (which is highly doubtful, as we are not allowed to do that except in private lessons), giving no name of the instructor/s. Are you sure they were instructors for instance?

I am sure they are instructors and perhaps the fact they aren't allowed to do that is why they asked for my confidence. Again i don't need to convince you of anything, if you don't want to believe me then don't, its really as simple as that. I don't mind how you take it but going on and on about it really won't change things. I offered to concede and retract the opinion i arrived at, what is it you actually want? I am not about to disclose who they are especially not without even discussing it with them first. aside from their names what do you think this back and forth will acheive?

I can't really answer them fairly as every instructor is different. If you tell me a name I can tell you specifics on their training, examples of where their chi sao has held up, whether they are an instructor in Kamon or not, and how long they have trained

If every instructor being different is the reason you can't answer on your colleagues behalf fairly, well thats really not down to me or anything i say.

I thankyou for saying that, but I am still interested in finding out what training you have had that can make judgement over possibly more experienced wing chunners and their chi sao

The instructors i refered to were not more experienced than myself however a beginers critique is just as valid as they may see something others just accepted.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am sure they are instructors and perhaps the fact they aren't allowed to do that is why they asked for my confidence. Again i don't need to convince you of anything, if you don't want to believe me then don't, its really as simple as that. I don't mind how you take it but going on and on about it really won't change things. I offered to concede and retract the opinion i arrived at, what is it you actually want? I am not about to disclose who they are especially not without even discussing it with them first. aside from their names what do you think this back and forth will acheive?.
So you don't know that they were instructors?
I would like a complete retraction in your previous statements.

The instructors i refered to were not more experienced than myself however a beginers critique is just as valid as they may see something others just accepted.
Not at all. A beginner will not understand anything to do with chi sao
It is like an apprentice mechanic telling NASA that they don't think their space shuttles are good.

You seem to put yourself on a pedestal. The Kamon instructors are amongst the most experienced in Britain, because they know more than just wing chun. You have not detailed your own experience or refuse to name the instructors you trained with which means that you are full of nonsense

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
So you don't know that they were instructors?
I would like a complete retraction in your previous statements.

How does me saying i am sure they are instructors equate to me not knowing they are instructors? I am sure as in i am sure.

Not at all. A beginner will not understand anything to do with chi sao
It is like an apprentice mechanic telling NASA that they don't think their space shuttles are good.

I was talking generally, but again you are unable to see that regardless of how knowledgable someone is someone can always turn up and point out something you haven't seen or seen and just not noted. I think you just want to disagree with anything i say. So yeah you are right, forget what i said.

You seem to put yourself on a pedestal. The Kamon instructors are amongst the most experienced in Britain, because they know more than just wing chun. You have not detailed your own experience or refuse to name the instructors you trained with which means that you are full of nonsense

If those reasons mean that then i hiope you are happy at how you arrived at your decision. Because i don't disclose information it must be nonsense. Thats fine, now lets forget this and perhaps we can enjoy more positive discourse in other threads.