Does anyone know about "Kiai?"

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Never heard of it as a stand alone martial art, I have heard some schools called "kiai martial arts" or something, but that is just the school/academy name rather than the art.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are actually refering to the practice of using kiai in martial arts then yes.

If there is an actual art that calls itself "Kiai" then no.
Unless you are talking about the Combat Ki people who I believe are referred to as Juko Kai.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never heard of it as a stand alone martial art, I have heard some schools called "kiai martial arts" or something, but that is just the school/academy name rather than the art.
Yell Of The Spirit Family Martial Arts Academy. I like it. I think I will open franchises all over the planet.:ultracool Thanks Blindside; I just needed a good name. LOL
Sean

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This: 気合術 ? Kiaijutsu? What is you are asking AriesKai?
Are you asking is there a Martial art called this? Are you asking is it a seperate art that is only taught and not combined with other arts?

There is an art called Kiaijutsu but from my limited understanding its not something that is seperated like Kenjutsu and Jujutsu, rather it is taught with it. Kiai means like Ki(spirit,energy) Ai means to join so its like when you join your mind and body as one.

In some cases it is a shout of your fighting spirit and if used at the right moment it can stop an opponent in his tracks. I honestly do not know much about Kiaijutsu in the form of a seperated art from what ever ryuha or even a ryuha that specializes in it and in it only. Maybe someone else who has more knowledge in that area will express their views.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything FACTUAL about it as a stand-alone art. Fictionally, I've seen it described as using the focused shout and spirit as an attack. Kind of like the Weirding Module in the Dune movie.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If one practices kiai, than they are a kiaijutsu practioner. There are many different kiais, ranging from many arts and cultures. I emphasize the kiai used as a tactic to confuse the person. I kiai with a fake, and not with a real execution, for example, but that would be in sparring. Some people are truly gifted in their ability to use kiai; make water ripple, ring a bell, and so on. But it takes many, many years of practice.

I know of there being types of kiai, agressive, defensive, and one called 'shadow' where one effectively kiai's without kiai. I am not certain as to the very last's authenticity, and though understanding the theory, cannot do it myself. Maybe there's a lot more to climb haha.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Really.... Seriously... So according to you, if one releases a 'kiai' while training, they now are kiaijutsu practitioners. I see...

Sent from my Thunderbolt on Tapatalk. Excuse the auto-correct spelling errors.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If one practices kiai, than they are a kiaijutsu practioner. There are many different kiais, ranging from many arts and cultures. I emphasize the kiai used as a tactic to confuse the person. I kiai with a fake, and not with a real execution, for example, but that would be in sparring. Some people are truly gifted in their ability to use kiai; make water ripple, ring a bell, and so on. But it takes many, many years of practice.

I know of there being types of kiai, agressive, defensive, and one called 'shadow' where one effectively kiai's without kiai. I am not certain as to the very last's authenticity, and though understanding the theory, cannot do it myself. Maybe there's a lot more to climb haha.

Are you making this up, are you guessing, or do you actually have a source that others can look to for the same information.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Granted, I know who the guy is that cam ring a bell. He happens to be the same guy to get knocked out in a challenge match while trying to use "kiaijutsu"

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

I just tried that.
Apparently I dont need years of practice :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Alex, the kiai without kiai you are referring to is a silent type of kiai. I no longer utilise a yelling kiai but more of a short sharp exhalation which has the same effect. When it accompanies a strike it is called kokyu, or striking with Ki and I can do it. It is totally different to a physical strike. I was taught it through my aikido training and have not seen it in any karate. Nearest to it in normal MAs would be using 'Jing' in fa jing.

If you are using kiai as a 'fake' then that is by all accounts not possible. You might use a yell as a fake but striking with a kiai is striking with intent, with your whole mind and body focussed.

As to ringing bells and rippling water. ...... ? Why bother?

Edit:

Oh, and a kiaijutsu practitioner is not one who practised kiai as a separate entity, but one who utilised kiai within their martial art practice. Same as a practitioner of kyusho jutsu is not practising the utilisation of vital points in isolation but in their normal MA system or style.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
Taking something as simple as a focused grunt/yell/exhale and turning it into some nonsense spiritualized art...?
Sadly, based on what is seen in many other martial arts, I totally believe there are people who'd buy into that.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taking something as simple as a focused grunt/yell/exhale and turning it into some nonsense spiritualized art...?
Sadly, based on what is seen in many other martial arts, I totally believe there are people who'd buy into that.

Possibly, but in this case I think it was just Alex making jokes.

..... At least, I think it was a joke. I hope it was tongue in cheek!

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why make jokes about kiai?

So you were serious? Really? So if I start yelling and screaming while flailing my arms at someone, am I now a kiaijutsu practitioner?

Tongue in cheek aside, a kiai is a part of the system it's used in, not a system or skillset of it's own. Just because we have a certain style of footwork in our system doesn't mean we practice ashijutsu.

Could you provide a reference for this train of thought? Because right now, it's not looking too convincing.

Sanke on the move.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why make jokes about kiai?

I didn't say ringing a bell would win in a fight :p.
I admit that I'm a little bit curious about the claim. Can you please clarify what it is you are saying? The image that I have of your claim is a person standing some distance away from a traditional inverted-cup shaped bell, giving a loud, sharp, short shout, and then the bell rings loudly, reverberating for a period of seconds.

Is this an accurate presentation of what you are referring to?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There was a thread about someone using a martial art they called "kiai" on another forum. It turned out to be a Daitouryu-aikido school that focused on "energy training." Claimed they could harness their KI and effect people and things from a distance.

This video is of the instructor demoing his Ki skills:

Here's a vid of a challenge match someone with some mma training had with the instructor. At the start of the vid, you can see the instructor demoing his KI power with his students.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions