does anybody know...

rendang

White Belt
Reaction score
What were the Chinese arts that went into the Serak system? WC and white crane are the most apparent.

tiga

White Belt
Reaction score
Well it's very hard to trace back. Most people made merely assumption based on similar movements. Some say there is Xing Yi in it or Ba Gua, but i think it's a bit farfetched. Known is that one of the teachers of Serak in Indonesia (or actually former Dutch Indies) trained Kuntao, but again that's a rather broad term. Could be hokkien, could be fukien.

D

Dylan9d

I think the history of Serak is very dodgy, teachers make of it what they want and i think thats why it's hard to trace back.

I don't really recognise Chinese influences in the little Serak stuff i saw, maybe in the advanced stuff?

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
original sera was based on legend told that he learn from a woman.
if we discard that, sera himself is a malayan tribe (from sumatra), that moved to java and fight as prize fighter in bogor, west java. back then governed by dutch indie.
so based on that, anyone knows how deep is chinese influence martial art in sumatra silat?

the chinese influence was first recorded in 7th century when the buddhist srivijaya kingdom currently became the hub between the pilgrimage from china to india and vice versa. so from that to 19th century, it is obvious the forms were mixed up and hard to trace the original, since arabs/moslem and hindus kingdom merchants also trade regulary.

but based on the preserved kung fu styles that still practiced there that easily found it might be a close guess to more internal form, like taiji, pagua and baihequan, while in batavia, fujian styles are more famous, and in the rest of java shandong style like saolim, high kicking and acrobatic form were known.
while in malaysia, medan, and borneo, you can find more taiji, wc, bajiquan, ngo-cho kun.

but again, mine are just guessing...

Latest Discussions