Doctor says I am Vitamin D deficient...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol's points above eerily gel with what I am going through at present! I've not got to the stage yet where my boss is getting to the handing out warning stage but I know my performance is well sub-par compared to normal as I seem to be in a permanent state of confusion ... 'brain fog' is exactly the term for it :nods:. I've been putting it down to the blood pressure meds I'm on but maybe a vitamin deficiency is also putting it's iron in the fire?

Definitely get blood work done, for a few reasons. A symptom is not the same as a diagnosis. If it is Vit D or thyroid (or some other things), you have a better chance of learning what the root cause is and how to address it. If the symptoms are actually from something else...e.g. Rx med reaction, you can explore that as well.

If it is Vitamin D...I don't think treating a clinical deficiency is a DIY process, for a few reasons.
Even though D is liposoluble, it takes a long time for the body to build up levels. Good to get a doc's opinion on what dose/frequency is best for your needs.
Some people who bottom out with a severe deficiency may have to resupplement for longer than the usual 3 months. IF this is the case, you need to know that, and so does your doc.
I don't know about UK, but here you can find up to 10,000 IU at a health food store. I have tried the higher strength OTC vitamins in hopes of saving myself a return trip to the doc and was very unhappy with the results. I had some very strange reactions to some OTC supplements, esp. at higher doses. Some caused a minor spike in my blood pressure, others upset my stomach, etc....issues I don't have on a (usually higher) strength of the Rx vitamin. I don't think this is the vitamin itself causing the reactions, but the binders and impurities used in the manufacturing process. OTC vitamins are unregulated here, there can be much more variables in what you get inside the bottle. Other folks may have different or better experiences, but I don't plan on repeating mine if I can help it ;)

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard of this before. I take a good multi vitamin at breakfast and try to eat a wide variety of foods to get proper nutrition. A bit of sunshine daily is good but all in moderation. Thats good that you are getting checkups and are asking questions. what is your A1c goal?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard of this before. I take a good multi vitamin at breakfast and try to eat a wide variety of foods to get proper nutrition. A bit of sunshine daily is good but all in moderation. Thats good that you are getting checkups and are asking questions. what is your A1c goal?

I don't take a multi-vitamin because I have read too many news stories about studies that show they are expensive placebos that do nothing but cost money, even assuming they have in them what the companies that makes them say is in them. As a kid, we took "Flintstones" vitamins daily because my mom had been convinced (marketing) that that's what good moms did for their kids. As far as I know, no one has ever scientifically proven that kids in normal health need any vitamin supplements. It's just a scam as far as I can tell.

My A1C goal is under 6. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, it was 13.5 and I was having severe symptoms. I take two 500mg Metformin daily and with diet and exercise, I got my weight down 50 pounds and my A1C down to 6.0. Over the past two years, it has crept back to 6.7 and now 7.0. I am still in the dojo, but I have not been to the gym since my wife moved up to Michigan to join me last year. I was running about 3 miles a day on the treadmill. I have also put about 20 pounds back on. I need to get back to the gym, is all. I live farther away now, so I have to find some will-power to get it done.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Deficiency is one of the most prevalent causes of the most common chronic problems.

Please. Get thee to a whole foods store and try to get food-based supplements, liquid if possible. Sublingual absorption is da bomb.

Unless, of course, you prefer reporting to the ER for B12 shots, getting blood transfusions and risking congestive heart failure or arrhythmia problems from electrolyte imbalance.

Most water-soluble food-based vitamins will flush excess through your kidneys with little complaint. Lipid-based supplements are what you need to watch your intake of as you CAN overtax the liver.

Only been taking care of deficient family members for a few decades now and am now addressing my own. Let's kick it in the ***, Bill!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score