Dock fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Here is a fight on a dock where basically everything happens.

So there you go.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gang & mob mentality is always dangerous and unpredictable. In FMA we train, presupposing that there will be a weapon used and/or multiple attackers. Here, of course we don’t know what was said or how it was said, the dock worker, ascertaining that there was more of them than him, should have had a de escalation mindset. The in no way takes the blame away from those who attacked him. There is almost always the moment of initiation that probably could have been avoided. Getting sucker punched puts you in immediate disadvantage. Good thing he had back up. People can be so stupid.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here, of course we don’t know what was said or how it was said, the dock worker, ascertaining that there was more of them than him, should have had a de escalation mindset.
We do know a bit of it, actually. Not everything, just what's been reported. Basically the guy who initially got attacked was a co-captain to a riverboat cruise ship. The guys in the video who attacked him were parked where they were supposed to park their ship. The workers/captain asked them to move it, and they taunted/refused. He then went to go talk to them in person, I believe alone (except for the person who transported him to the dock), and while trying to get them to move it they attacked. That's the one part I don't think we know - what words were exchanged when it was just him and the others we don't know. But he had to find a way to both get them to obey him (doing his job) while not angering them - which might not have been possible at that point.

Low situational awareness to go by himself, and they may not have attacked if he had some other workers actively next to him, but it also wasn't a situation where you'd ordinarily have to worry about getting attacked.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the dock worker, ascertaining that there was more of them than him, should have had a de escalation mindset.
He was fine until he started to walk back towards the boat. Earlier on the video he positions himself between the wall and the man. If you watch earlier clips before what is shown in this video clip you will see that he uses de-escalation skills successfully multiple times. His de-escalation methods is probably what made the second guy stay out of the fight. As we can actually see him weakly tries to break up the fight.

From a footwork perspective. He proves what I've been saying for a while now. "You can only retreat as far as your rear foot. The first punch shows this. He sees the incoming punch and reacts to it, but he's unable to move back fast enough because of the narrow stance that he has. I'll be using this one as a teaching video.

Once in the fight, He throws up his hat. So big shout out to King of Fighters. lol

But on the serious side. He uses the log guard to keep distance.
He keeps all the attackers on one side (that's what we teach right.?) So he nails this.
He takes down the Incoming guy so he gets points for that. Unfortunately he does it in a multiple attacker situation and like many of us have already stated. Being on the ground is a bad thing.

In terms of awareness of multiple attackers. He probably had a good sense of that because looked us showed up after he got jump. So he probably got into knowing that if he got jumped he would have back up some sort. If the guys smelled strong of alcohol then he probably knew that he would have an advantage there.

If I was going to bring up awareness, then I would say that it was on the attackers. The assumption that they would be able to attack and have no consequence for doing so. Alot of people came to his defense. I'm assuming he had a uniform on, and the people there are probably familiar with him. I couldn't imagine I would have had the same outcome or support.

Latest Discussions