Do your neighbours know you have guns?

Do your neighbours know you have guns?

• Yes they do and I don't mind!

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Yes they do and they have them too!

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • No they don't and I don't want them to.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • No they don't but I don't care either way.

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they do, how did they find out and what was there reaction?

Do you mind that they know or do you wish they didn't know?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some do -- because they've learned what I do for a living. Many don't. It ain't there business. Unless they find themselves on the business end -- or I end up using it to help them out.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know a couple of them do - one is a LEO, one is a retired fire fighter who hunts - but I have no idea about the rest of them. I don't have one myself, but a friend of mine offered to teach me how to shoot this summer - now it's just a matter of scheduling it. I don't know that I'd mind if they knew - but it's not something I'd go out of my way to mention, either.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A few of them do, at least the ones who we've gotten to know.
As to the rest, they probably don't know, not because we've tried to hide it or anything. But if one doesn't get to know one's neighbors, there could be quite a lot of imporant info missed. It's always better to be informed whenever possible.

Our next door neighbors are a nice quiet Mormon family and they're the polite softspoken sort, I don't imagine they even use foul language in private. Their reaction was polite and noncommital. I think they're a bit timid about firearms or anything that hints of danger in the world, preferring to ignore such and praying those bad things never happen to them.
I think that's fine, but I also believe that the Lord tends to favor those who are prepared.;)

Our other neighbors who know are in the military and retired law enforcement, they don't seem to have strong opinions either way and have nice collections themselves.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
NO !!!!!!!!! and I want it to stay that way...

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our immediate neighbors know as we are friends. They are fine with it. Other neighors, I don't know for sure as we've never had a long enough talk for it to come up, but I assume since I come home often in the fall wearing camo and carrying an assortment of dead animals they have figured it out.:ultracool

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they do, how did they find out and what was there reaction?

Do you mind that they know or do you wish they didn't know?
If they didn't know, they figured it out when they saw me in uniform carrying my patrol carbine and shotgun to and from the truck. ;)

So they've figured out I have at least three.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A couple of neighbors I know have seen me take my firearms, cased, as well as target frames, etc, to my vehicle. One neighbor, a LEO across the street, gave me a big smile, I think he wanted to go with me and I would have offered but the timing wasn't right for some reason, I might have been going to a match, I don't remember. I don't care what others think but I don't advertise my ownership any more than I would advertise that I had cash in the house. I'm kind of puzzled about the Mormons mentioned above, I would think that they would be as appreciative to private gun owner as I would think Jews would be, and many are. Curiously, I once wore a t-shirt from a firearms website to my Dojang and the owner made a comment like, "So you're one of those guys". I said, yes and I think he was a little un-sure if I was offended by his remark. He said "We teach a course about disarming people..." I told him he could practice on me. I was trying to be joking about it not confrontational.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure some of my neighbors have seen me carrying them to/from the car when going to the range (it's hard to hide anything when you live in an apartment complex) but I do my best to be as low-key as possible.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, it is my right to have them and none of their business whether I do or not! Though it really wouldn't bother me if they did know, they don't right now.

On one side is some grandparents who are raising their grandchildren and the other side is more military, so my neighbors are on different sides of the spectrum.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the foreign war vet next door figured it out but we don't make a practice of telling people or ... not telling people. I prefer people not know what all's in my arsenal, I don't think of that as a deterrent rather an invitation.

I'm just another neighbor here. Nothing to see. Move along.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any firearms at the moment, just started shooting and starting to find my first.

I do, however, have many martial arts weapons -- swords, sabers, long weapons, etc. My next door neighbors know, as they have seen me packing up for practice. Probably wouldn't be too surprised if I had a gun as well.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of my neighbors know because they're also fellow shooters. I seen some of them at IDPA matches, while others I've run into at the gun stores or gun shows on occasion.

I've even had one ask if he could borrow some Hoppes #9, since he accidentally dropped his bottle earlier that day.

Still, if there are neighbors who I really don't know, or those who know me, but don't know about my firearms, I'll simply keep such knowledge to myself.

It's a lot like the martial arts. A good number of folks know that I am a martial arts practitioner and teacher, and I have no problem with that at all. However, there are some individuals who I would rather be kept in the dark, especially those looking to cause trouble.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is kind of difficult how to answer the poll. I suppose I should ask, "Which neighbors?"

Those who are close to us or know us well, they know my family own and use guns. We also carry our firearms with our Concealed Carry permits. There are quite a few other neighbors we don't normally interact. I'm not sure if they know; this point of whether they know doesn't matter to us as we try to remain low key anyway.

- Ceicei

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First off, this is Texas, and everyone has a gun. So I presume most of my neighbors do. Heck down the road at a garage sale I bought 2 boxes of Remington UMC .45 ACP rounds, and a box of 20 guage. I suspect my neighbor might have a few!

Now my co-workers. Well a few of them have been my CHL students! And a few of them worked where I used to work, and did martial arts exibitions at company cookouts (as well as being ex-CHL students!). So, you can guess they might know a thing or two about what I do for my past times.

But since I'm kind of a open book, and have been at my current job for over 10 years with nary a problem, they don't sweat it (and almost 18 years at my previous job.)

I'm well known.

Oh, and I do have a safe. A big one. Bolted down to.

Deaf

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
actually like my training in unarmed combat, I do not tell people weather I own guns or blades or other weapons. If I ever need my weapons or unarmed training I want it to be a nasty nasty unexpected surprise!! I DO NOT have to register fire arms in my state, and so no one really knows who has a fire arm or not unless they tell them they do.
I prefer it that way..

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
They didn't used to until my mom, being uninitiated about such things, brought it up in a conversation.

But those neighbors also know I'm in the State Guard, Civil Air Patrol, and am a firearms instructor, so it apparently weirds them out a lot less due to those.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mine might have seen me take them to or from the car like others have posted here, but I don't go out of my way to mention it. It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Now some of my neighbors are good friends of mine, so they know.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is no reason for your neighbors to know you have guns unless they are family or close friends and you have guns in common.

Latest Discussions