Do You Welcome Questions?

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are an instructor, do you welcome questions from students on the logic of techniques you are teaching?

For instance, I was practising a 1 step sparring of blocking a punch with a crescent kick. Realistically, I can't move fast enough to use a kick to block a punch in progress.

Would you be fine with a student asking the "why" of the exercise?

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you are an instructor, do you welcome questions from students on the logic of techniques you are teaching?

For instance, I was practising a 1 step sparring of blocking a punch with a crescent kick. Realistically, I can't move fast enough to use a kick to block a punch in progress.

Yes. Not during the exercise, though. Training time is training time. Breaks will be given, ask then. If it is important, I'll make sure the entire class hears the question and answer.

We have all done it or seen it done, where students ask question so the pace of training will slow down. You are there to train.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, at the appropriate time. If an instructor can not answer the questions they should not be teaching and the student will leave.

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is fine to ask questions. About the particular question you are asking regarding a block using a crescent kick, yes it is completely unrealistic and could not be pulled off by even the most highly trained practitioner. Yet almost all TKD people have practiced it at least a few times, including myself. Why is it trained then? Mostly because it is what our instructors learned, so they are simply passing down the technique. It's as simple as that. But yes, it is always okay to ask questions!!

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would quickly say that the art has a hugh concept of using the legs over the hands and that Koreans favor kicking over punching. Its tradition.

In generally I want my students to ask questions and not to just take my word as gold. Asking questions don't slow the class that much. But as instructors we must recognize the ones who want to learn and the ones that are just there to get on your nerves because mom and dad just put them there. Answer quickly and keep class moving.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually the crescent kick to the forearm is an essential training exercise.
1. It requires proper distancing
2. It requires accurate placement of the foot
3. It requires correct foot position
After the above are figures out then it requires timing. Basically it is a target exercise with a moving target(the arm).
If that is not enough it was actually used in early military TKD demonstrations( 1955-)against an oncoming fixed bayonet attack

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the "crescent kick defence" is dangerous rubbish if taught as an actual defence. If taught as a coordination exercise, and the students understand that that is all it is, then I agree it's fine.

But anyway, about questioning ...

I practically insist on it. I don't want students to take my word for anything, or do anything I can't do, and I make sure they know why we're doing everything. Also, in educational circles, it's considered beneficial to guide students to reach their own conclusions, which, if the lesson is well-designed, will broadly coincide with your target material. So I spend a lot of time saying stuff like, "Why do we do this?" or "What would happen if we did this?" or "Why isn't this a good idea?" or "What could we do to solve this problem?".

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tell students "There is no sign ove the Dojang / Dojo door saying turn off brain before entering."

I have also been to demos where they "explained" a technique and I was wondring what they were smoking.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tell students "There is no sign ove the Dojang / Dojo door saying turn off brain before entering."

I have also been to demos where they "explained" a technique and I was wondring what they were smoking.

Thanks everyone. I just thought I'd ask here whether questions are good or bad. I didn't want to ask in the dojang (before or after training) and seem disrespectful.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I just thought I'd ask here whether questions are good or bad. I didn't want to ask in the dojang (before or after training) and seem disrespectful.
Before or after is a good time. Really don't slow down class and the instructor can work in more depth with you if he or she is a nice instructor.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, at the appropriate time. If an instructor can not answer the questions they should not be teaching and the student will leave.

I would slightly reword this to allow for the fact that sometimes you may be asked a question you cannot answer (mental blank spot, just "that's the way we've always done it", etc.), but in those case it should be followed up with "but I'll find out for you" and shouldn't be cause for the student to leave.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Perhaps the first issue is asking the "Right" questions.

Just because someone cannot do a technique under certain circumstances does not mean it is unsuitabkle for all under every circumstance.

If you only want to learn techniques suitable for self defense or combat you are wasting your time if you are taking a martial art. Do you ever train a punch pulling the opposite hand to the hip? Would you do this in combat or self defense situations?

What is the stipulated purpose for whay you practice 1 step sparring in your system or gym?

The failure of a technique under certain circumstances may teach how the technique needs to be used to be effective. Once a technique is learned in a static environment dynamics such as moving off the line of the attack need to be used while executing the technique as well as different stuations. An empty hand attack can be a substitute for a weapon attack.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Always, though if they want more than a brief explanation, I address it after class.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Hapkido what I usually get is pinched face that resembles a person who just bit their own tongue and then tapping and then nods of admiration.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Good gosh yes. I encourage questions. Students in my classes are free any time to call me on anything to question me on anything, to call me on BS about anything. Then I have to have a good answer. Usually that answer is a demo of how what we are doing translates into something applicable to SD. If I can't explain it, I wouldn't teach it. And usually, that question brings up an interesting subject or premise for learning.

I've been in the situation where ranking students or teachers from other schools have heard a student question me, you know, "But, wouldn't that be dangerous because...?" or something like, "Wouldn't it be better if you...?" The teacher sometimes says something like, "hey, don't question your teacher." I always say, "no, it's ok. I like questions."

Allowing questioning opens the way for exploration, helps make sure that you know what you're talking about, prevents you from teaching ineffective or dangerous (to the practitioner) material, and most importantly, helps ensure both comfort and respect among your students. They feel ok asking you anything, and they know that you'll have the answer to their questions, and that if you don't, you'll bloody well go out and find it!

I love questions.

And sometimes, when a move is completely impractical as demonstrated, I will preface that I am well aware that it is suicidal to attempt, but that it opens the way for ________, and so we train it for (whatever reason we train it.)

But again, yes. Questions are good. Anytime, anyplace, from anyone to anyone.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it is fine to ask questions. About the particular question you are asking regarding a block using a crescent kick, yes it is completely unrealistic and could not be pulled off by even the most highly trained practitioner. Yet almost all TKD people have practiced it at least a few times, including myself. Why is it trained then? Mostly because it is what our instructors learned, so they are simply passing down the technique. It's as simple as that. But yes, it is always okay to ask questions!!
You really almost have to be kicking already for this to work, but it will work. :) I just think the idea that is a basic defense against that attack that might be flawed, not the idea that these things won't happen at the same time; because, chances are they will.
sean

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure they can ask but in real life it most likely will never work. But like some here I have done it with my G.M. as well.

Latest Discussions