do you think being gay is a choice?

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
if so, guess what: you're attracted to your own sex. you are, in effect, stating that you are just as attracted to your own sex as the opposite, but you made the choice to be heterosexual. just thought you'd like to know.

jf

It's nice you are deciding this for people.

I don't think it is my business whether it is someone's choice to be gay, or whether it is genetic. I think it is not my business at all, so the question never occurs to me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is not my business at all, so the question never occurs to me.

This bit I fully agree with. At the end of the day, unless someone is attempting to force unwanted attentions upon us or those close to us, what business is it of ours?

I admit that such an attitude was not one that came easily when I ventured out into the world. I came from a strict religious background and went straight {Yeah! 'Orientation' pun attack :D} to a university setting where 'gay rights' were a hot topic - this was the early '80's.

It took a while to 'adjust' - I still remember with great embarassment snarling at some fellow that I would break his arm if he grabbed my behind again ... mind you, I can't say I wouldn't react with equal frankness today. I hope I'd be more polite about it tho' :eek:.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This bit I fully agree with. At the end of the day, unless someone is attempting to force unwanted attentions upon us or those close to us, what business is it of ours?

I admit that such an attitude was not one that came easily when I ventured out into the world. I came from a strict religious background and went straight {Yeah! 'Orientation' pun attack :D} to a university setting where 'gay rights' were a hot topic - this was the early '80's.

It took a while to 'adjust' - I still remember with great embarrassment snarling at some fellow that I would break his arm if he grabbed my behind again ... mind you, I can't say I wouldn't react with equal frankness today. I hope I'd be more polite about it tho' :eek:.
I would admit that I would be a bit more polite and tolerant if some bloke grabbed my **** but it depends upon the spirit in which he did it. Years ago it would've warranted a hard punch in the snoot. But today it's a stern verbal warning that they have no right to touch without permission.
When I worked at McDonalds a couple of my managers were (openly) gay and they were pretty much respectful and kept to themselves while doing their job. But once one of them just was in a "playful" mood and grabbed me... I turned around and did the "hey hey now watch that!" and got a smile and everyone continued on working.
Later same manager came up to me during a break and gave a passing apology... I told him no worries but asked that he not do that without permission. So it's all good...
Thing is it's one thing to be playing around and such but to be serious and expect seriousness back... uhh no. Attempts to conversion is also a no-no... it's disrespectful of one's own choice.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here in Toronto, the Pride Week and parade are among the largest in North America. Mayors and Police Chiefs march in the parade. With the passage of gay marriage rights into federal law, some in the community are wondering where to go from here.

I was brought up nominally United Church of Canada Protestant -- at least I was baptized. The preponderance of my religious education was in an all boys Catholic school throughout the seventies -- this was a homphobic/heterosexist environment before those came into popular use. In the middle school years I was an outsider -- poor at sports, disinterested in pro sports, good at theatre arts, polite to teachers, and quite soft-spoken. So y'all can probably guess how I got tagged.

The experience of being a victim of that kind of hate even though I am herosexual, has had a profound impact on my life. So I am receptive to people, like my father, who come out. I understand why it is necessary for many.

Like yours, Suke, my university days and other experiences allowed me to meet and work with many gays. All of a sudden, it was semi-safe for them to be out. Any proximal unease I had through lack information gradually faded away.

When my dad came out to me, it unleashed a flashback of feelings about being tormented in school. I was angry all over again, fighting old bullies from the past. I was also very much in fear of my father's safety: he was a somewhat naive individual, and I worried about any abuse he might suffer directly in life.

It took a while to 'adjust' - I still remember with great embarassment snarling at some fellow that I would break his arm if he grabbed my behind again ... mind you, I can't say I wouldn't react with equal frankness today. I hope I'd be more polite about it tho' :eek:.
After dad came out, I had a long talk with a doctor I know who is very well-known in the gay community because of his practice in treating AIDS. It was cathartic to be able to talk to someone about some of apprehensiveness I felt, which he explained did not made me either homophobic or hypocritical. Others I made the mistake of speaking to said things like, "Dude, I'm sorry," or "You must be creeped out," after my father, a widow of many years, married his male partner.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here in Toronto, the Pride Week and parade are among the largest in North America. Mayors and Police Chiefs march in the parade. With the passage of gay marriage rights into federal law, some in the community are wondering where to go from here.

You know the gay pride parade actually brings a lot of money into Toronto and is more a fun spectacle than a political movement now, at the end of the day with same sex marriage being legalized in Canada and most rational people realizing it wasn't going to be the end of civilization, sexuality is almost a non-issue now as far as I can see.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
with same sex marriage being legalized in Canada and most rational people realizing it wasn't going to be the end of civilization, sexuality is almost a non-issue now as far as I can see.

What, you've allowed 'gay marriage???!!! :confused: :lol:

Oh, the horror! :lol:

How long has this been going on? How do you deal with near constant rain and odor of fire and brimstone? Are cats sleeping with dogs? Did the gays set up local recruitment stations near all the high schools? DO they regularly protest and storm churches?
:rolleyes:

What is going on up there in Canada? You people are going to hell!:lfao:

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score

How long has this been going on? How do you deal with near constant rain and odor of fire and brimstone? Are cats sleeping with dogs? Did the gays set up local recruitment stations near all the high schools? DO they regularly protest and storm churches?

It is just chaos up here, Romeo and Juliette is now Romeo and Petruccio, Melissa Etheridge , George Michael, Elton John are all that is allowed to be played on the radio, Batman dancing with Robin!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ramirez said:
with same sex marriage being legalized in Canada and most rational people realizing it wasn't going to be the end of civilization, sexuality is almost a non-issue now as far as I can see.

Elder said:

Mark,
They know about Pride Week and the marriage thing, but don't tell them about Sodomy Fest in February.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool. Now to find where I put my Black Russian.....might even get my picture taken in it for my new avatar.

:D

Tiberius

Green Belt
Reaction score
It depends from person to person. If I had to chose between a really masculine looking woman on steroids that is 220 pounds of muscle and a petite guy that looks better than my girlfriend, I would take the bodybuilder. I cant get myself to be gay.

Some people are attracted to both and can make the choice, others are repulsed by physical activity with women.

Latest Discussions