Do you prefer sparring with women or men?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by AmyA19881, Jan 28, 2019.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

It is the lack of mass more than the gender.

A good analogy that was made was treat the like you would a 16 or 17 year old boy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Someone with shorter reach, less muscle, and less mass has a disadvantage against me, unless they are more skilled than me, regardless of gender. That just happens to be more common with women (and teenage guys).

• Like Like x 1
  3. gucia6

gucia6 Yellow Belt

To me it doesn't matter with whom I spar.
    Maybe the only criteria is the engagement. If you know that your opponent puts his/her soul into the training, it is enjoyable.
    If a person is more skilled/stronger/bigger than me than it is a challenge.
    If person is less skilled/weaker/smaller than sometimes I realize my own mistakes or I can give some guidance to them.

But training with someone who doesn't care, I am slightly annoyed. But hey, it exercises my patience ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire Green Belt

It's hard for me to find other women to spar with. Guys are usually ready and willing. lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

You need girls to get girls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier Orange Belt

In the past I've sparred with men and women and I've learned from both. But in sparring with women I found that because their strength is different they tend to be more technical. And a kick that has a combination of leverage, quickness and agility behind it is a humbling thing. Guys tend to be strength oriented. Just my observation and experience so far.

• Like Like x 3
  7. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I'm not a woman, but fighting someone taller is a plus to me regardless of gender. I've always been shorter than most men so any fight that I get into will probably be against someone bigger. It allowed me me to train in "the most likely" real life scenario of someone being taller than me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I am in the same boat. It doesn't change a ton, but I did/do work on certain strategies based on height and my body type. In my circuit days I could kick strong and high from a ridiculously close range. It changed the way my trainer worked on my fighting technique in the ring.
    Being primarily TKD I have always been an out fighter but usually I am working you from closer in than most TKD people.

9. W.Bridges

W.Bridges Yellow Belt

It doesn't really matter to me as long we both learn something from it and have fun. I do prefer the two minutes continuous sparring over point sparring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I hate people who kick like that. Kick from proper kicking range, where I'm ready for it, damnit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. donald1

donald1 Senior Master

I'll spare anyone! Bring it on!... I don't actually do a lot of sparring so please be gentle?

12. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    You definitely don't have to worry about that any more. :(

13. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I might seriously have to worry about everything else, though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. isshinryuronin

isshinryuronin Orange Belt

I was just talking about this very thing a couple of hours ago with my sensei. I mentioned that most of the times I got hurt sparring was when fighting newer students - they can be very erratic and do weird stuff with little control. Feints often don't work since they cannot react to the subtleness of them, or overreact so much it blows up your intended follow-up.

When fighting a less/un-trained person (not necessarily saying less dangerous) or a person trained in a much different style, I think the best strategy is to NOT spar with them. By "spar" I mean a give and take in a familiar way. This is especially true in a real fight. Since you have no idea what they might do, they are unpredictable, like a drunk driver.

It's like trying to debate someone who has no logic at all. Hard to win. Trust me on this - I'm married.

So the safest way is not to give and take - but just take. Don't give them a chance to mess you up with their weirdness. Immediately break their balance, move in at an angle, check or pin their leg and arm and delivery your strike. Of course, this may not be very sporting in the dojo, but when it's serious, it may be the best strategy. Sparring an unknown/newer student in the dojo is a great way to develop your skill in checking and covering since they may do anything, you have to be prepared for everything.

• Like Like x 3
  15. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I've noticed many times that folks who train together become predictable, which you'd expect, since they're training the same reaction set together. We start to expect that reaction, and working with someone who hasn't learned it (either an untrained person or someone trained elsewhere) can be a great wake-up call.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1