Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

• Yes, I can trace my training lineage back to the founder.

• Well, I am vaguely aware about some of the people who taught my instructor(s).

• No, but I would like to know.

• Who cares? I am only interested in my training under my current instructor(s).

Results are only viewable after voting.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have had two instructors:
Sensei Jon Ludwig -> Master Luis Orbegoso/GM Bruce Juchnik -> Mitose/Tracy
Sensei David Champ -> ?/Juchnik -> Mitose/Tracy

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to update myself here. I've joined a new school and am back into training. With my current instructor, my lineage goes:

Ed Parker
Jeff Speakman (Kenpo 5.0)
Kollin Avarell
Me

However, with all my previous schools, I still retain the knowledge, memories, and training I learned. All of what I've learned are of worth to me, and makes my journey so much better.

- Ceicei

Last edited:

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I realized that I haven't posted my lineage here. Like Jack Meower, my instructor, Dan Distelhorst, earned his black belt under Jay T. Will. He originally operated his dojo as a franchise under the Tracy schools, but became independent. Since then, his style has become more influenced by Mr. Parker, as he has attended trainings and seminars with Mr. Parker, Mr. Planas and at least one with Mr. Wedlake, among others that I can't recall.

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is a very difficult question to answer. First of all I study & teach Kempo or as I have been told since my first day training in Kempo ... (Shaolin Kempo) I'm not going to say which Kempo group I study under or teach for as that will just open the flood gates to another moronic debate about he said, she said & your this & he's that! Besides in the big picture it doesn't really matter anyways.

Kempo/Kenpo or whatever's history shoots out into so many different directions it's really hard to say who brought it here & there who started this or that because there are so many groups, schools, teachers, students & strong personalities within the Kempo/Kenpo family & I stay clear of the politics of Kempo/Kenpo or whatever as if I wanted to become involved in politics I would be spending your hard earned tax dollars right now with the rest of the political leaders ...(Crooks!) in Washington DC but! ... Back to Kempo/Kenpo. Students of mine come to me & ask me lots of questions about this group & that group or they have heard this & that & I refuse to talk bad about other Kempo/Kenpo groups because I know many people that are involved with these other groups', teachers' etc ... In the end what's really important is the Kempo. It's a great art & if you train, study or teach Kempo/Kenpo then more power to you!:uhyeah:

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure of my lineage, but it's only of historical use to me. One day it may find context.

I am thrilled with my current instructor. He's tough as a tree trunk and knows his kenpo. I would be thrilled to earn a black belt with him.

When I think of lineage I think of an Arabic proverb I see in someone's signature all the time about examining what is spoken, not he who speaks. In martial arts it is the same. Examine the kenpo, not the kenpoist.

:asian:

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He makes it look so easy. It's hard to understand why I feel like a quibbling mass when his effectiveness is so graceful.

Gee, can you tell that I like my instructor? :)

Which is as it should be!

jakesmith699

White Belt
Reaction score
yes i do first instructor Damon Tong formerly under professor of the art Skip Hancock current instructor Shawn Gance under professor Hancock who was of course trained by and has spent many years to continue the style Master Parker created

Jake was here

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes i do first instructor Damon Tong formerly under professor of the art Skip Hancock current instructor Shawn Gance under professor Hancock who was of course trained by and has spent many years to continue the style Master Parker created

Jake was here
Right on!

Wizard58

White Belt
Reaction score
I practiced many arts before Kenpo, I practiced under Master John La Tourrtte in the early 80s. John practiced under Ed Parker Sr., But John held black belts in several other arts before praticing Kenpo. I do consider Kenpo a turning point in my life though, it's where everything started to really come together. I've practiced a few more arts since Kenpo. Now I just do my own thing I've modifided all my technics from the begining for real fighting and due to my age everything I do is from very painful to leathal. In 36 years martial arts has never let me down, if you give it 100% thats what you get out of it.

DocLogic77

White Belt
Reaction score
I was a student of Dave Sites who was a student of Jay T Will. Mr. Will started studying with Ed Parker in 1965.