Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

• Yes, I can trace my training lineage back to the founder.

• Well, I am vaguely aware about some of the people who taught my instructor(s).

• No, but I would like to know.

• Who cares? I am only interested in my training under my current instructor(s).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most importantly I have had the pleasure of training with the following over the years

Mr. Bryan Hawkins
Mr. Steve Herring
Mr. Skip Hancock
Mr. Howard Silva
Mr. Steve Guckman
Mr. Tommy Burkes
Mr. G. Khalsa
Mr. Wes Idol
Mr. Jeff Speakman
Mr. Mike Pick
Mr. Bob White
Mr. Bob Liles
Mr. Jim Diggs
Mr. George Waight

All Parker Blackbelts...and all brought something slightly different to the Kenpo table.

So who did you learn the most from?

I keep telling myself I'm going to drive over to Costa Mesa and work out with Bob White and his guys. Mr. White is a great man and heads up a great organization of not only excellent Martial Artists but good men and women as well.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Ed Parker - Mr. Paul Mills - Mr. Alan Jacob - Me

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who are the two instructors you mention, other than Mr. Will?

Brint Berry attained a 5th under Jay T. Will who taught my instructor Wade Wilbourn. (though KN erroneously has me also listed under Mr. Berry.)

Most of you probably know that Mr. Will trained with both SGM Parker as well as Al Tracy and is recognized on both family trees.
http://www.tracyskarate.com/Parkertree/parkerhome.htm
http://www.tracyskarate.com/Tracytree/Hachidan.htm
http://www.ikhs.com/Family Trees/System Trees/A.htm

I've discovered in recent years that the curriculum I studied under Mr. Wilbourn was mostly "American Kenpo" but it did have some "Tracy" influences in it.

In the past few years I've studied other variations of American Kenpo from the IKCA's take to Mr. Speakmans 5.0.

I've studied other martial arts throughout my life but found that "Kenpo" was the most fulfilling for me. I guess you could say it was the best "fit."

I love the art and do what I can to learn as much as I can and to also perpetuate it the best I can.

I don't know if you want my full martial-bio or not, but if you do you can read more about me in the "Kenpo Continuum". http://www.sacramentokenpokarate.com/kenpocontinuum.html

TMI? lol

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brint Berry attained a 5th under Jay T. Will who taught my instructor Wade Wilbourn. (though KN erroneously has me also listed under Mr. Berry.)

Most of you probably know that Mr. Will trained with both SGM Parker as well as Al Tracy and is recognized on both family trees.
http://www.tracyskarate.com/Parkertree/parkerhome.htm
http://www.tracyskarate.com/Tracytree/Hachidan.htm
http://www.ikhs.com/Family Trees/System Trees/A.htm

I've discovered in recent years that the curriculum I studied under Mr. Wilbourn was mostly "American Kenpo" but it did have some "Tracy" influences in it.

In the past few years I've studied other variations of American Kenpo from the IKCA's take to Mr. Speakmans 5.0.

I've studied other martial arts throughout my life but found that "Kenpo" was the most fulfilling for me. I guess you could say it was the best "fit."

I love the art and do what I can to learn as much as I can and to also perpetuate it the best I can.

I don't know if you want my full martial-bio or not, but if you do you can read more about me in the "Kenpo Continuum". http://www.sacramentokenpokarate.com/kenpocontinuum.html

TMI? lol

Thanks. Actually, the email you sent was good enough.

I recently began studying at the Jay T. Will school in Columbus, Ohio. Since you are also in the Jay T. Will lineage, I wondered who else we may have had in common.

When I first called the school, the instructor called his art Chinese Kenpo. I've since learned that this is what Mr. Parker called his Kenpo during a certain time period, and that this is apparently pretty close to what the Tracy's teach.

Whatever it's called, I agree that it seems to be the best 'fit' for me as well. And with the Kenpo schools tendency to teach private lessons, it works best with my goofy work schedule.

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just realized I haven't posted my own lineage, oops:

Ed Parker (and Al Tracy) > Jay T. Will > Herb Lamprecht > me

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are you at the school off of 5th Avenue? That's just around the corner from me.

Thanks. Actually, the email you sent was good enough.

I recently began studying at the Jay T. Will school in Columbus, Ohio. Since you are also in the Jay T. Will lineage, I wondered who else we may have had in common.

When I first called the school, the instructor called his art Chinese Kenpo. I've since learned that this is what Mr. Parker called his Kenpo during a certain time period, and that this is apparently pretty close to what the Tracy's teach.

Whatever it's called, I agree that it seems to be the best 'fit' for me as well. And with the Kenpo schools tendency to teach private lessons, it works best with my goofy work schedule.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Glad things are working out. Once you get settled in, PM me perhpas we can train some Kenpo together (or even pull out some Modern Arnis and Silat+

Kenpo1981

White Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I do know it. I began AKKA Kenpo in '81 under Ed Mukai. He learned from Bill Packer, and he from Tom Conner Sr., I believe. After Mr. Mukai relocated I studied with Dennis Conatser's then student Lawrence Robinson. Mr. Conatser was studying with Mr. Parker at the time. Mr. Robinson went another direction, to study with Skip Hancock. I went with Grandmaster Mike Pick. Time and distance made that too difficult of a situation. I hooked up with my current instructor recently who is Randall Miller. He is Grandmaster Paul Mills' student.

That's my Kenpo map, if you need a compass to get thru it I understand completely...hahahaha.

Keep Kenpo alive and thriving.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, I do know it. I began AKKA Kenpo in '81 under Ed Mukai. He learned from Bill Packer, and he from Tom Conner Sr., I believe. After Mr. Mukai relocated I studied with Dennis Conatser's then student Lawrence Robinson. Mr. Conatser was studying with Mr. Parker at the time. Mr. Robinson went another direction, to study with Skip Hancock. I went with Grandmaster Mike Pick. Time and distance made that too difficult of a situation. I hooked up with my current instructor recently who is Randall Miller. He is Grandmaster Paul Mills' student.

That's my Kenpo map, if you need a compass to get thru it I understand completely...hahahaha.

Keep Kenpo alive and thriving.
Impressive lineage:yoda:
Sean

Kenpo1981

White Belt
Reaction score
Not that anyone really cares of my lineage, but here it is:

Ed Parker
Gilbert Velez
Norman Sandler
Jeffrey Kahn
Myself

Someone obviously cares, that's why this thread was started. It's interesting to see who has studied with who and the path unique to them.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo from back in the day lineage:
William Chow
Ronald "Moku" Alo
Scott Meinhold
Mark D'aujereau
Me

My Current lineage:
Ed Parker
John Sepulveda
Jim Park
Me

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
no and i dont care

Hello,

OK, I'll bite...
So... Why don't you care?

I know that lineage is not "everything", but it can be important. I assume you did not learn your martial arts "from a monk in a cave, and do not know his name"? Your teacher had a teacher, and so did his...

Just curious???
Thank you,
Milt G.