Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

• Yes, I can trace my training lineage back to the founder.

• Well, I am vaguely aware about some of the people who taught my instructor(s).

• No, but I would like to know.

• Who cares? I am only interested in my training under my current instructor(s).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You mean "Walter Godin" bro. Also, the lineage says that Victor Gascon trained under John Leoning also.

Right Godin, I've learned about my lineage here more than from my instructor, he still thinks our lineage comes from Shaolin Temple

mhfinnegan

White Belt
Reaction score
Ed Parker
Al Tracy
Ray Klingenberg
Dennis Nackord
Pat Caputo
Mark Lawler
Me

I've also had the privledge of multiple training sessions with Huk Planas and Frank Trejo.

bdocili

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes:

Professor William Chow

GGM Ralph Castro (some will insert SGM Parker here because he gave GGM Castro his first black belt, but clearly GGM Castro was primarily a student of Professor Chow just as SGM Parker was primarily a student of Professor Chow even though Mr. Emperado gave SGM Parker his first black belt)

Senior Professor Genaro Jose

Me

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes:

Professor William Chow

GGM Ralph Castro (some will insert SGM Parker here because he gave GGM Castro his first black belt, but clearly GGM Castro was primarily a student of Professor Chow just as SGM Parker was primarily a student of Professor Chow even though Mr. Emperado gave SGM Parker his first black belt)

Senior Professor Genaro Jose

Me

No. Parker got his first black belt from Chow. Emperado gave Parker an 8th after Parker was already well established and well known.

bdocili

White Belt
Reaction score
No. Parker got his first black belt from Chow. Emperado gave Parker an 8th after Parker was already well established and well known.

Sorry, you are right. I was getting confused with all of the different versions of history. The Tracy's contend that Professor only gave SGM Parker his 3rd and that Sijo Emperado gave SGM Parker his 6th, and then I read an article by Sijo Emperado saying that he gave Parker his 8th. Of course, then I read the article in Black Belt that has Professor claiming that Parker was more a student of Emperado than himself.

Anyways, my mistake. I just mentioned that to emphasize that Castro was never a student of Mr. Parker. They were good friends and had similiar backgrounds in the Coast Guard and in Hawaii and with Kenpo.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some guys --> some other guys --> me.

Gosh. I feel better with that out there.

D.

Oh geez. You never told me you trained with the other guys, Dokka D. I'm shocked! Shocked, I say, Shocked! :eek:

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am curious about how many of you pay attention to your Kenpo lineage and whether that knowledge is important to you.

- Ceicei

Roots are very important to me - they're what makes us what we are and later, what we were.

My last serious instructor was Steve Hurst, his was John Sepulveda and his was the man himself Mr. Parker.

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't really think about lineage so much, however we have a pretty direct line from Al Tracy to our instructor. Before Al Tracy, was Edmund Parker, before him was William K.S. Chow. Chow's my favorite, he's was also the least wealthy off of his Kenpo teachings.

Wingman

White Belt
Reaction score
I have trained for 7 or 8 years exclusively to the teachings of Mr. Brad Scornavacco, who trained with Mr Lee Wedlake Jr, direct student of SGM Ed Parker.

animal

White Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure of my Kenpo/Kenbo Lineage. I have considered myself a bastard black belt for quite some time. In the mid 1980's I was training in the D.C. Metro area with my first Sensei Nidan Randy Wozin. He introduced me to a visiting Instructor Sensei Henry Sotelo who at the time was a 5th Dan. He showed us such wonderfull techniques that were very good for street defense and he called it Kajukenbo. He told us he grew up in Hawaii and began learning from his Grandfather then at around 12 -13 he moved to Los Angeles. He also said he had trained in Ed Parkers System and had achieved his 6th dan By 1987. In 1987 he returned to the area for a short while and we trained for a couple of weekends. I told him of my disappointment over my failure in my first attempt at 1st Dan testing, at which he was a judging Black Belt. He gifted me with his black belt right off his waist and said he would keep in touch after he returned to Los Angeles so he could send me certification. I did not here from him, then I heard from an old training partner that he had died. Since then people who also knew him were upset when they learned that I possessed his Black Belt, claiming I had no right to have it. These people included Sensei Randy Wozin, Sensei Steve "Nasty" Anderson among others. I do not know who trained him, or what association certifited him. My last try at finding out lead me to find that Grandmaster Ted Sotelo was no relation to him, in fact he had never hreard of him. I still have his Black Belt in a place of Honor in my home. I feel lost in trying to find where this insightfull knowledge came from. I am not seeking rank or certification, I just want to know that my faith in him was well founded. If anyone knows about Henry Sotelo please post any info you might have. Thank you for hearing me out. Long live Kenpo. J. Linkins

hi Jimi...i was saddened to hear of Sensei Sotelo's possible passing...As one of his students, in the early 80's, i remember his dynamic training style...he was trained in Pinoi Tekabo, (a philipine martial art) by Alex Kahevalu, and his brother, Sol...i do recall his training in Ed Parker's Kenpo, and incorporated many Kenpo techniques, into his teaching regimen...he was a devoted fan of Mr. Parker, both as a mentor, but also a great role model...We all mourned his passing, and i am sure my sensei was saddened by this...
...If this is the same person, because he, too, grew up in honolulu, and moved to the L.A. area...(his studio was in anaheim, at the time), it is possible...although we fell out of touch, years ago, he was famous for his encouraging teaching style...i trained with him, 10 hours at a crack, some days, while he trained for his north american, super lightweight title...when i was promoted to shodan, on october 23, 1983, i received his black belt, embroidered in his name in red...i am sure there were those who initially had a problem with my quick climb ...although few would say i didn't work hard, as keeping up with the teacher is not a matter of choice...his birthday was may 5...i believe he turned 25, in 1983, which would have made him 49, this past may...if you should hear from any other students of his, out there, please feel free to pass on my info, and a hello...looking forward to hearing from you, down the road...thanks for everyone else's patience, as i do understand this is primarily a Kenpo section...peace...animal

Daddys GT Vert

White Belt
Reaction score
Currently I am under Mr. Jeff Lujan of the Universal Kenpo Federation headed by Mr. Pick who as many of you know was with Mr. Parker's since the 50s and never left Mr. Parker except to join the Marine Corps for Vietnam and then returned. (wow what a runnon sentence).

Took several of Mr. Picks seminars...Very dynamic indvidual.

Daddys GT Vert

White Belt
Reaction score
I"m not too sure on all the way back but I do know that our style orignated from Ed Parker. HOwever the man who teaches teh modernised form of Kenpo is called Larry Tatum who is alive and in America SOMEWHERE!!! (I believe Pasadona???) We're trying to get Larry over to NZ but it costs big $$$. It would be interesting to see his mentality behind our Style and where it has come from to be what it is today.

Yea...Mr. Parker kicked out that kenpo embarrassment for embezzling

Daddys GT Vert

White Belt
Reaction score
Most importantly I have had the pleasure of training with the following over the years

Mr. Bryan Hawkins
Mr. Steve Herring
Mr. Skip Hancock
Mr. Howard Silva
Mr. Steve Guckman
Mr. Tommy Burkes
Mr. G. Khalsa
Mr. Wes Idol
Mr. Jeff Speakman
Mr. Mike Pick
Mr. Bob White
Mr. Bob Liles
Mr. Jim Diggs
Mr. George Waight

All Parker Blackbelts...and all brought something slightly different to the Kenpo table.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to MT, GT Vert! Why not head over to the Meet and Greet section and introduce yourself!

Yea...Mr. Parker kicked out that kenpo embarrassment for embezzling

I am fairly new to kenpo but is there any substance to this? It seems just a bit inflamatory and accusatory and very much like a personal attack on a revered member of kenpo history...

Just wondering.