Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

Do you know your Kenpo lineage?

• Yes, I can trace my training lineage back to the founder.

• Well, I am vaguely aware about some of the people who taught my instructor(s).

• No, but I would like to know.

• Who cares? I am only interested in my training under my current instructor(s).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inkspill

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is important to me

Mr. Parker
Mr. Rick Hughes
Me
those I will teach the art to
those they will teach

Each of us have a deep responsibility to keep the art strong, alive, logical, effective, proffessional, real, basically I would want Mr. Parker and Mr. Hughes and those who came before to look at my Kenpo, and the Kenpo of those I teach to look at my future students and their students, and their students (etc) and be proud of the Kenpo they see, be happy to see the art thriving, to know that the art continues and is true to the spirit of Kenpo.

I wouldn't want them to ever look down the line and be disappointed. I want them to be proud of my Kenpo and the Kenpo that goes on beyond me.

CrazyPeople

White Belt
Reaction score
As did i, both were pretty good guys, but same here i dont know who Kevins teacher was either.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
William Chow
Ralph Castro
Rick Alemany
Bill Grossman
Myself

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
SGM Parker > Senior Prof. Ken Herman > Prof. Martin Seck > MSTCNC

My lineage to Mr. Parker is clean, strong, and to-the-point. To me, personally, this is VERY important. In the big picture? We all make an art our own in some way... "Take what is useful. Disregard the rest!", as Sifu Lee might say...

I feel truly blessed, and consider it a great honor, to be training just three-steps removed from SGM Parker, and with such talented Instructors as my "upline".

In addition, I'd be remiss if I didn't include those people who trained, and pained, with me along the way on my Martial Path. Without an Uke, or being one for someone else, I would not be able to express my physical self as a Martial Artist...

{Full Salute}

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
SGM Parker-> A.C. Rainey

Or

SGM Parker-> Hebbler-> A.C. Rainey

Or SGM Parker + Hebbler + Chapel -> A.C. Rainey

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
William Chow
Ralph Castro
Rick Allemany
Eugene Sedeno
Mike Cataline
Me

for epak
Ed Parker
bob white
steve spry
me

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My Kenpo lineage traces back through Hawian Kenpo. The interesting thing is that like many practitioners, I have multiple lineages. I can trace my primary style, Tang Soo Do, to Hwang Ki and a second Moo Duk Kwan lineage well into early Korean masters. The result is that while I think of myself as a Tang Soo Do practioner, I could not honestly say I can differentiate the source of the many things my Grand Masters have taught me over the years.
Dennis

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
SGM Parker > Senior Prof. Ken Herman > Prof. Martin Seck > MSTCNC

My lineage to Mr. Parker is clean, strong, and to-the-point. To me, personally, this is VERY important. In the big picture? We all make an art our own in some way... "Take what is useful. Disregard the rest!", as Sifu Lee might say...

I feel truly blessed, and consider it a great honor, to be training just three-steps removed from SGM Parker, and with such talented Instructors as my "upline".

In addition, I'd be remiss if I didn't include those people who trained, and pained, with me along the way on my Martial Path. Without an Uke, or being one for someone else, I would not be able to express my physical self as a Martial Artist...

{Full Salute}

That's a damn fine lineage you got there, sir! Professor Seck is the best kept secret in the Kenpo world! ;-)

monk64

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes:

Ed Parker -> Dave Hebler -> Me
Ed Parker-> Chuck Sullivan -> Me
Ed Parker -> Tracys -> Kevin Lamkin -> Me

That said, I certainly wouldn't look down on someone whose lineage was longer. Vic LeRoux's "lineage" is the same as mine, as he is a Chuck Sullivan student. Vic LeRoux is a whole lot better than me. So length of lineage isn't everything.

It's worth noting that Kenpo changed during Parker's lifetime, and certainly by his disciples. Sullivan and Hebler were quite different.

I think what matters is the quality of the instructor. Hebler could spend an entire evening just on Delayed Sword - the physics, how it might play out, the history, variations, why some variations don't work, why it's where it is in the curriculum, how it ties into the rest of the system, different drills to help with elements of the technique, etc. Same for every other technique.

It seems like the old masters have this kind of encyclopedic knowledge. They just know a lot of stuff. They move with authority. Every Parker black belt I've met has mentioned at one time or another that they were impressed by how Parker moved. "I've never seen anyone move with such authority" - Dave Hebler. "When he moved, the room shook." - Sullivan.

The strip mall McDojo Kenpo guys teach you ten techniques in a night, are wobbly in their movements, and barely understand the art. They weren't promoted by Parker or Parker's black belts.

However, I have met some people with longer lineage that were very good.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Basically my immediate lineage is:

GM Larry Tatum
GM Patrick S Kennedy
AM Andy Fitzgerald
Me

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My lineage goes as follows: James Mitose to William Chow to Ronald Moku Alo to Stan Mattson to my humble self. Stan Mattson was my sensei up until his death. His wife, sensei Laura Lang is now my sensei.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My lineage converges two lines. My instructor GM James K Roberts Sr. Trained under Master Emperado in Hawaii and now holds a 9th dan in Kenpo, He also trained under GM Hwang Kee and Master Ahn in Korea. Officially our school was Tang Soo Do but I've noted significant Kenpo influence in areas such as one step sparing and self defense.

Last edited:

boomx5

White Belt
Reaction score
I haven't studied Kenpo since I was young, but everything I learned I learned from my father. So I guess my lineage goes, Ed Parker, Steve Fox, Dan Ekkelboom, me.