Do you find some arts easier than others?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just know i wont do grappling well, apart from my weight anyway. and my TKD experience is fairly recent and all i know is stand up striking. I may eventually give something like BJJ a shot.

and for the second one, unless we go rough and tumble, probbly. :p
If you haven't done it, how do you know you won't be any good at it?

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My primary art is Taekwondo, and if I may say so myself, I've excelled at it. I have naturally good body mechanics with my strikes, I learn the forms really fast, and the impractical fancy kicks come easy for me. When I was an orange belt, I watched a black belt trying to teach another black belt the 540 kick and I landed it on my 3rd or 4th try.

Then I started hapkido. As much as I buttered myself up with confidence (or maybe arrogance) in the last paragraph, I'm going to caveat with humility in this one. Hapkido is incredibly difficult for me. I've never been good at finding pressure points, half the time it takes me several tries to figure out how to lock the joints the right way, too often I try to use my strength instead of my technique. I find it significantly more difficult than Taekwondo.

The real funny thing is we can eliminate the instructor as the variable, because my Master is the same for both arts.

Does anyone else who's trained multiple arts experience this? Where you go into one art and it all just comes naturally to you, and then you go to another art and it's like you might as well be a baby giraffe trying to walk?

In my case, ABSOLUTELY! We are all by nature, individuals; and as such our body mechanics and innate abilities will vary wildly from person to person. This has also been the case with my students. Now, this does not mean it's always a waste of time to challenge oneself, on the contrary. I was very slow in progressing with certain arts; but accepting this, I managed to get quite skilled in spite of taking more time and work than some others.

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What really got me was the short stint I did in Uechi Ryu. It just felt so unorthodox to me. In a good way, but not very natural. I spent a year in college attending their open floor night every week, and it was just so much different. I can’t explain it. The movements looked similar enough on the surface to my main style, but that was the end of it. I really liked it, but it wasn’t meant to be I guess.

I know I'm reviving a year old thread, but I just started training in Uechi and I feel the same. Coming from kempo the stances felt natural but the Sanchin stance and the arm positions will take some getting used to.

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
On the other hand, early defense against basic grappling is easier than early defense against basic striking. So we end up needing to work much harder for competency in takedowns, throws, locks, etc.
Totally agree, but grappling is a must to take control on the opponent without harming opponent a lot with striking, and a combination of both is ideal.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My primary art is Taekwondo, and if I may say so myself, I've excelled at it. I have naturally good body mechanics with my strikes, I learn the forms really fast, and the impractical fancy kicks come easy for me. When I was an orange belt, I watched a black belt trying to teach another black belt the 540 kick and I landed it on my 3rd or 4th try.

Then I started hapkido. As much as I buttered myself up with confidence (or maybe arrogance) in the last paragraph, I'm going to caveat with humility in this one. Hapkido is incredibly difficult for me. I've never been good at finding pressure points, half the time it takes me several tries to figure out how to lock the joints the right way, too often I try to use my strength instead of my technique. I find it significantly more difficult than Taekwondo.

The real funny thing is we can eliminate the instructor as the variable, because my Master is the same for both arts.

Does anyone else who's trained multiple arts experience this? Where you go into one art and it all just comes naturally to you, and then you go to another art and it's like you might as well be a baby giraffe trying to walk?

I would like to know how you weren't adept at an art (Hapkido) with choreographed, cooperative grappling techniques rather than full contact live resistance arts like BJJ, Judo etc? I mean since you can't win with no live resistance, how can you "fail"?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how you weren't adept at an art (Hapkido) with choreographed, cooperative grappling techniques rather than full contact live resistance arts like BJJ, Judo etc? I mean since you can't win with no live resistance, how can you "fail"?
In my experience, at least some Hapkido schools do practice with live resistance at some level.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are an expert on Hapkido too?

We are in the presence of a National Treasure!! :smuggrin::D

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are an expert on Hapkido too?

We are in the presence of a National Treasure!! :smuggrin::D
Lol this guy knows absolutely everything about every style on earth. He’s the new master ken He has now promoted himself to 15th dan

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my experience, at least some Hapkido schools do practice with live resistance at some level.
Don’t even bother with this guy didn’t you know....he’s an expert at everything and knows everything about every style in existence

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

So they break each others wrists then? Because that's the argument Aikido masters give for not free sparring.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they break each others wrists then? Because that's the argument Aikido masters give for not free sparring.
There's a lot of range between not free sparring at all and free sparring including the techniques that can't be predictably controlled to avoid injury. But go ahead and charge ahead with posts that support the point you're trying to make. Don't worry about facts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To learn the long fist system, you will need to learn

- 10 open hand forms, and
- 8 weapon forms.

To learn the Chinese wrestling system, you will need to learn about

- 230 different throws.

So some MA systems are harder to learn than others.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's a lot of range between not free sparring at all and free sparring including the techniques that can't be predictably controlled to avoid injury. But go ahead and charge ahead with posts that support the point you're trying to make. Don't worry about facts.

Oh, you meant live resistance as a metaphor.. I somehow knew that before replying. Way ahead of you bud.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would like to hear from TS what part of the cooperation he struggled with? :) break falls? Timing the choreography with the partner?

I'm intrigued.