Do you ever feel as if the Wing Chun we Learn today isn't original?

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why not? Just because they founded it or whatever doesn't mean they're better teachers than the people of today. Stop looking at the past with rose tinted glasses there's no reason why today's teachers and practitioners can't be as good as those people
You can make the style better for yourself but no need to re make the system just because it doesn't work for you or else there would be much point in learning Wing Chun, if you wanna learn other styles than do it but don't go making another jeet kune do style.

Sent from my DLI-L22 using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can make the style better for yourself but no need to re make the system just because it doesn't work for you or else there would be much point in learning Wing Chun, if you wanna learn other styles than do it but don't go making another jeet kune do style.

Why not? If they want to do it they can do it and there's nothing to stop them

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
But then it's not wing chun

And? It's just a name who cares don't get so obsessed over a name just focus on training and getting better. Who cares about purity or what some old lady did hundreds of years ago the past is the past for a reason it's gone you've got to move forward that's the only way things get better

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been learning wing chun for 5 years and I feel as if it has been changed to much from it's origins and I think it's wrong to change the style and then teach the new way. If you change the style keep it to yourself and teach everyone else the way you were taught.

I should hope it's not original. There should be evolution and progress. Otherwise, every art would be making the same mistakes as always, based upon the lack of information at its origin.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel free to change it but I just find it of putting when someone advertises or decides to start teaching Wing Chun with a bit of Muay Thai or Taekwondo or anything but by all means learn it for yourself just don't try making your own Wing Chun and teaching it as if it's your own new style.

So, feel free to change it, but don't try making it your own. If you teach Wing Chun, teach the original, but don't try to play off changes as your own style?

You are actually contradicting yourself.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't it White Crane and Snake? And I'd like to learn the original Wing Chun. Like imagine learning Wing Chun from Ng Mui.

Chee Kim Thong lineage of Five Ancestors Boxing has a form alleged to and named after Ng Mui. Did I blow your mind? Is that the original Wing Chun? Should you go find that out or should you stay with your current teacher? Think wisely, and pay attention what you actually want and need in your training.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok...
The reason I asked about the weapons is because they were added into the Wing Chun System as the System continued to evolve.

But isn't this also not a known/confirmed fact (?)

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chee Kim Thong lineage of Five Ancestors Boxing has a form alleged to and named after Ng Mui. Did I blow your mind? Is that the original Wing Chun? Should you go find that out or should you stay with your current teacher? Think wisely, and pay attention what you actually want and need in your training.
Well after what everyone has said it's official that Wing Chun is just Wing Chun, an art of combat and self awareness. People's ways of adapting the style is just self expression through Wing Chun or their own fighting method.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ng Mui invented Wing Chun so even if she did change it, it would still be the original Wing Chun and which is why I wanna learn authentic Wing Chun but no where uses the body or they just run in using chain punch.

Ok, I kind of think this is a put-on, but I’ll bite...

The existence of Ng Mui as founder/inventer of Wing Chun is an uncertainty. However, if she did exist, she is long dead and you can’t learn from her. Too late for you.

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I kind of think this is a put-on, but I’ll bite...

The existence of Ng Mui as founder/inventer of Wing Chun is an uncertainty. However, if she did exist, she is long dead and you can’t learn from her. Too late for you.
All I'm gunna say is 90% of Wing Chun is dead and the 10% that know what they're doing, don't wanna teach it.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is real WC to you then? How does it differ from what is being taught today?

If I read what you said correctly you studied TWC (William Cheung) and like it but it’s not “original”.

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ng Mui invented Wing Chun so even if she did change it, it would still be the original Wing Chun and which is why I wanna learn authentic Wing Chun but no where uses the body or they just run in using chain punch.

How do you know Ng Mui invented Wing Chun? You are going by old oral legends and stories. If Ng Mui really existed, what she might have practiced may have looked nothing at all like we call "Wing Chun" today!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are in IT like I am...yes, yes you do...even after Windows 10
I haven't done it lately (because I'm more likely to use VBA for it), but I used to regularly pop into a DOS window to batch rename files and that sort of thing. Sometimes I still use DOS to poke around in old archives. Something about the way I look at lists in DOS is hardwired, and doesn't work the same in File Manager.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I'm gunna say is 90% of Wing Chun is dead and the 10% that know what they're doing, don't wanna teach it.

What a load of rubbish. If people didnt adapt and change it then it would be dead. Heck wing chun only got popular in the west because of bruce lee doing it and he changing things about it left right and centre.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me this type of thing is one of my main problems with some traditional places kenpo included. People are to scared to change things and drop things because they're scared to dare go against the "sacred" teachings. For example I was having a conversation with a Kung fu guy recently and he showed me some stuff and I was respectful but I pointed out a few holes and he said oh yeah I know that's rubbish and would never work so I asked why keep teaching it if it doesn't work and he said well that's how it's always been done.

People would rather practice things they know wouldn't ever work than actually say you know what I'm going to change that.

Latest Discussions