Do you ever feel as if the Wing Chun we Learn today isn't original?

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also how do you know your wing chun is pure? Maybe your teacher added some stuff themselves and just hasn't said maybe he's slightly altered certain moves how would you know if they have or haven't?
He doesn't really seem the kinda guy that cares haha he's the kinda teacher that says Wing Chun is the only best style in the world.

Sent from my DLI-L22 using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He doesn't really seem the kinda guy that cares haha he's the kinda teacher that says Wing Chun is the only best style in the world.

Hmm any teacher that says that always raises a few flags with me

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No ones forcing you to train there
I know but from William Cheung we use the blind side technique and to me feels very advantaging which is why I struggle to try any other Wing Chun schools.

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's up to the teacher to decide what he wants to teach. If you don't like it, you can always find yourself a different teacher.
Yeah I know tbh it could just be my school that I'm experiencing this with.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's up to the teacher to decide what he wants to teach. If you don't like it, you can always find yourself a different teacher.
Agreed and no teacher will ever teach the same. Everyone does everything different and that's a good thing. Something I read once was that there'll come a time when your teacher can't teach you any more and when that happens go to a different place. They may not be any better than your last but at least they'll have something new to show you

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If the WC system did come from the white crane system, do you want to learn the white crane system instead?
Wasn't it White Crane and Snake? And I'd like to learn the original Wing Chun. Like imagine learning Wing Chun from Ng Mui.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nothing springs forth from a vacuum, fully formed. Everything has been built upon something else that came before it.

Nothing is Original.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I mean like if you master Wing Chun and then decide to master Taekwondo then feel free to combine it but if your gunna teach Wing Chun then by all means teach Wing Chun as the combination wouldn't suit everyone and if someone wants to learn wing chun then that's all they wanna learn.

So the wing chun you are learning has no weapons?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been learning wing chun for 5 years and I feel as if it has been changed to much from it's origins and I think it's wrong to change the style and then teach the new way. If you change the style keep it to yourself and teach everyone else the way you were taught.

A lot of martial artist think that any changes they make to a style are good changes, unfortunately that isn't always true. Some styles have the same or similar concepts, but some styles aren't alike at all. Blending techniques that have entirely different concepts can get messy and chaotic. We all have preferences, some like kicking more than punching, others like grappling more than striking. For example; if I took tae kwon do and realized it's not for me why would I keep training it? Would it make sense for me to study for years, open my own school, replace all the kicks with boxing techniques and still call it tae kwon do? When questioned I can just say it's my "own" version of tae kwon do.

I have changed martial arts schools multiple times because I concluded it wasn't for me. It's a difficult choice to make, but in the end you'll find something better. Eventually, I found Kali which is the perfect style for me. It has everything I was looking for and more.

That's not to say you can't add to an existing style and still maintain the core concepts of that style. For example; my kali instructor has a wrestling background and we incorporate wrestling techniques into it, but it blends well with a lot of the kali techniques. However; we don't neglect or replace other important training regiments in place of the wrestling techniques.

Some Wing Chun doesn't resemble real Wing Chun at all. They "adapt" it in ways that draws away from the center line and economy of motion concepts yet they still call in Wing Chun. I have witnessed this with other styles too, but from my experience the Wing Chun community seems to be riddled with this problem.

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A lot of martial artist think that any changes they make to a style are good changes, unfortunately that isn't always true. Some styles have the same or similar concepts, but some styles aren't alike at all. Blending techniques that have entirely different concepts can get messy and chaotic. We all have preferences, some like kicking more than punching, others like grappling more than striking. For example; if I took tae kwon do and realized it's not for me why would I keep training it? Would it make sense for me to study for years, open my own school, replace all the kicks with boxing techniques and still call it tae kwon do? When questioned I can just say it's my "own" version of tae kwon do.

I have changed martial arts schools multiple times because I concluded it wasn't for me. It's a difficult choice to make, but in the end you'll find something better. Eventually, I found Kali which is the perfect style for me. It has everything I was looking for and more.

That's not to say you can't add to an existing style and still maintain the core concepts of that style. For example; my kali instructor has a wrestling background and we incorporate wrestling techniques into it, but it blends well with a lot of the kali techniques. However; we don't neglect or replace other important training regiments in place of the wrestling techniques.

Some Wing Chun doesn't resemble real Wing Chun at all. They "adapt" it in ways that draws away from the center line and economy of motion concepts yet they still call in Wing Chun. I have witnessed this with other styles too, but from my experience the Wing Chun community seems to be riddled with this problem.
I love my wing Chun as we use William Cheungs blind side technique but we have completely different forms.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because your not gunna learn Wing Chun and proper than from Ng Mui.

How do you know that? What if Ng Mui was primarily a White Crane person who had some good ideas for how to evolve the system. So she taught this "altered" version of Wing Chun to Yim Wing Chun who then taught it to her husband. Then her husband taught it to Leung Yee Tai, who had already learned a snake system. So Leung Yee Tai combined his "altered" White Crane with his Snake system and taught it to Leung Jan. Did this happen? Who knows? And that's the point. There is no such thing as "original" Wing Chun. You really have no way of knowing who taught what. Ip Man himself learned from different teachers and altered his own version over the years. So what is "original"? William Cheung has altered his Wing Chun quite a bit! So I find it rather ironic that you are complaining about people changing Wing Chun! ;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because your not gunna learn Wing Chun and proper than from Ng Mui.

Why not? Just because they founded it or whatever doesn't mean they're better teachers than the people of today. Stop looking at the past with rose tinted glasses there's no reason why today's teachers and practitioners can't be as good as those people

OP
I

ipmann97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do you know that? What if Ng Mui was primarily a White Crane person who had some good ideas for how to evolve the system. So she taught this "altered" version of Wing Chun to Yim Wing Chun who then taught it to her husband. Then her husband taught it to Leung Yee Tai, who had already learned a snake system. So Leung Yee Tai combined his "altered" White Crane with his Snake system and taught it to Leung Jan. Did this happen? Who knows? And that's the point. There is no such thing as "original" Wing Chun. You really have no way of knowing who taught what. Ip Man himself learned from different teachers and altered his own version over the years. So what is "original"? William Cheung has altered his Wing Chun quite a bit! So I find it rather ironic that you are complaining about people changing Wing Chun! ;)
Ng Mui invented Wing Chun so even if she did change it, it would still be the original Wing Chun and which is why I wanna learn authentic Wing Chun but no where uses the body or they just run in using chain punch.

Latest Discussions