Do You Even Train?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious. Whenever I see a "Members in Motion" video, I always take a look at it. Because first, it takes a bit of courage to post a video. Second, no matter what my opinion of the video happens to be, at least the person is training.

Sometimes I get the feeling that not that many people on MT actually train. I've met a few in person; I know they train. I'm not so sure about some of y'all.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right now I'm just the punching/kicking dummy for my son to spar against at the house.

Hopefully next year, I can start training at the dojo with him.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
3 times a week in class currently and I practice my TaiJiJuan form maybe 2 other days of the week, and QiGong

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Right now I'm just the punching/kicking dummy for my son to spar against at the house.

Hopefully next year, I can start training at the dojo with him.

Mr. Jones, I've seen videos of your son sparing, and he is very talented. Last month our club went to the USKA Battle of the South tournament. I got the pleasure of Meeting Mr. Dupaquier. I recognized your son , and got to see him spar a little, he was impressive as usual. Unfortunately I didn't get to see him or his classmates do kata because our students were competing across the gym. Overall I was very impressed with Mr. Cotton's students and the whole USKA family. Y'all have a great community going on!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Jones, I've seen videos of your son sparing, and he is very talented. Last month our club went to the USKA Battle of the South tournament. I got the pleasure of Meeting Mr. Dupaquier. I recognized your son , and got to see him spar a little, he was impressive as usual. Unfortunately I didn't get to see him or his classmates do kata because our students were competing across the gym. Overall I was very impressed with Mr. Cotton's students and the whole USKA family. Y'all have a great community going on!

Awesome and thanks. Next time come say hello.

And Joe Dupaquier is a great guy.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not much, actually. Or available clubs are not good enough (for my taste) or my motivation is not hitting maximums. Probably a bit of both.

Another member in motion: Training clips - YouTube

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If we define

1. training - develop new skill.
2. maintenance - maintain old skill,

then I don't "train" any more and I just "maintain". I don't expect what I do today can be better than what I did yesterday. I just want what I do today won't be worse than what I did yesterday.

If you don't use it, you will lose it. You can not afford not to "train (or maintain)".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just curious. Whenever I see a "Members in Motion" video, I always take a look at it. Because first, it takes a bit of courage to post a video. Second, no matter what my opinion of the video happens to be, at least the person is training.

Sometimes I get the feeling that not that many people on MT actually train. I've met a few in person; I know they train. I'm not so sure about some of y'all.

If by training you mean

Total gym
Yoga
Taijiquan forms
heavy bag work
walking (not supposed to run per MD)
then I train

But admittedly not enough, but I'm working on it.

If you mean something else then I guess I don't train.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If by training you mean

Total gym
Yoga
Taijiquan forms
heavy bag work
walking (not supposed to run per MD)
then I train

But admittedly not enough, but I'm working on it.

If you mean something else then I guess I don't train.
I love the total gym. I've been meaning to use it to rehab the tear in my shoulder for a while now, but time isn't always on my side.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep, I do. Really love it, too. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I love the total gym. I've been meaning to use it to rehab the tear in my shoulder for a while now, but time isn't always on my side.

Its great for rehab and it can give a good workout too. The best thing I have for rehab though is my Bowflex, but for a workout I like the Total Gym better

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get into the dojo twice a week, and hour and a half each time.

I was hitting my bag 3-4 nights a week in addition to the dojo time, but school started recently and I haven't been able to get into my usual routine.

I want to post a video, but a few things are in my way...
My house doesn't have the proper space
I'm not doing anything revolutionary in my training
I get all the feedback I realistically need from my teachers
I don't know how to post to YouTube and the like
- Although if I was truly motivated to post a video, I'm sure I could figure it out

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't need to comment my training because I don't have anything to prove to anyone...if you don't think I train that makes no difference to me

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't train, Bill. You know that. I'm purely a keyboard warrior. :woot:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't need to comment my training because I don't have anything to prove to anyone...if you don't think I train that makes no difference to me
it does seem to be a rather provocative, prove yourself worthy, type of question !

i too would decline to answer him, but I'm pretty sure he has me on ignore, so it doesn't matter.

i train on Wednesdays, i did train three nights, but Mondays is beginners night, and the instructor doesn't want me to come as i " scare off " his customers and they move the Thursday night class to Friday and i have better things to do on a Friday night

I do of,course " train by myself, on the other nights, apart from Tuesday, which is quiz night

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I train on Wednesdays, I did train three nights, but Mondays is beginners night, and the instructor doesn't want me to come as I " scare off " his customers...

He actually said that? Hillarious! Is it because you are so intense about training? ...or so cantankerous? ...or do you just show up for class in that creepy evil clown outfit? :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He actually said that? Hillarious! Is it because you are so intense about training? ...or so cantankerous? ...or do you just show up for class in that creepy evil clown outfit? :D
no not my clown out fit, yes I'm big and intense and robust. They think I'm going to hurt them, which some times i do by accident, but only coz they are snowflakes. If you don't want knocking on the floor don't come to a ma class or at least don't hold a focus pad on your chest for me to punch

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get my share in.

I do a 10 3-minute Round high intensity heavy bag & focus mitt workout at noon 5 days a week.
3 - Muay Thai training sessions a week
3 - Wing Chun training sessions a week
3 - Kali training sessions a week
2 - CSW sessions a week
1 - BJJ session a week
Every session has a sparring element.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach three nights a week for an hour plus an hour on Sat for my brown and black belts. I Lift weights and do some sort of cardio six days a week.

I'm still in the Army Reserves (switched from Active Duty a few years ago) for a couple more years so I still have to be able to do PT.

So...Yep I train.

Mark

As an aside, I have found over the last few years I've been enjoying the weights and general fitness training more than martial arts. Burn out is real so I may be taking time away from the mats after my son leaves for the Army next summer.

Latest Discussions